Rocker Panels with Sahara Steps - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Rocker Panels with Sahara Steps

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto Un

Unread 11-23-2003, 06:00 PM   #1
qadhafi

Rocker Panels with Sahara Steps

Alright Ya'll I am trying to draw up a design for Rocker Panels. This past week I pulled all of my flares (for a TJ flare swap) and found that on YJ sahara models where the step is there is a steel support that is bolted to the frame (or tub). After I pulled all of the flares the steps still remain.

Instead of pulling the steps I was thinking about leaving them and covering them with diamond plate. The steps are 13 inches long and about 6 inches wide.
I know that I can still design the rockers to have a void underneath where the steps go and to remain like regular rockers on either side. Just from looking you could never tell that the rockers do not bend and go underneath the tub where the step is. I think that most people design theirs to go about 5 inches underneath.
With a 13 inch void in the bottom design would the rockers still hold up well enough to protect from rocks or to use a high lifts on?

Thanks a lot for any help, critisism, bashing , flaming, and/ or death threats.

[FONT=palatino linotype][COLOR=darkred]But hey, WTF do I know? I kick Hippies for fun.[/COLOR][CENTER]'94 Green Sahara 4.0 I6->6" lift;33's on AR767's;Big Daddy Offroad Bumpers; TJ Flares, Warn X9000i, 6 KC's, some other stuff....[/CENTER]
[CENTER][COLOR=darkred][FONT=palatino linotype][URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59124]FOLLOW ME TO CERTAIN DEATH JEEP CLUB FOUNDER[/URL][/FONT][/COLOR] [/CENTER][CENTER][COLOR=darkslateblue]H2RT Lives[/COLOR][/CENTER]
[CENTER][URL=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4288603959]Anderson Creek Farewell [/URL][/CENTER][/FONT]
qadhafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2003, 07:15 PM   #2
gelu65

I dont think you will get very good protection if you dont go under for a little protection from bending unless you go with a lot thicker metal . I would think just being on the face you would probably have to go 1/4 or 5/16. Jerry
Unread 11-23-2003, 07:19 PM   #3
qadhafi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelu65
I dont think you will get very good protection if you dont go under for a little protection from bending unless you go with a lot thicker metal . I would think just being on the face you would probably have to go 1/4 or 5/16. Jerry
I plan on giong under on the sides of the steps, just not under the stpes themselves. Figure 11 inches on either side. I guess I might find a way to bend the brackets that are connected to the steps and go all the way under, but I don't know if that is likely or not.
[FONT=palatino linotype][COLOR=darkred]But hey, WTF do I know? I kick Hippies for fun.[/COLOR][CENTER]'94 Green Sahara 4.0 I6->6" lift;33's on AR767's;Big Daddy Offroad Bumpers; TJ Flares, Warn X9000i, 6 KC's, some other stuff....[/CENTER]
[CENTER][COLOR=darkred][FONT=palatino linotype][URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59124]FOLLOW ME TO CERTAIN DEATH JEEP CLUB FOUNDER[/URL][/FONT][/COLOR] [/CENTER][CENTER][COLOR=darkslateblue]H2RT Lives[/COLOR][/CENTER]
[CENTER][URL=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4288603959]Anderson Creek Farewell [/URL][/CENTER][/FONT]
qadhafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2003, 03:33 PM   #4
Sidewalkman

I'm planning the same thing. I'm leaving the plastic step et all on and making a square tube rocker bar to go directly under. I'm thinking of attaching it at the body mounts with 2X2 angle.
Unread 11-24-2003, 03:37 PM   #5
FunkSkunk
Sold my soul to JeepForum

1992 YJ Wrangler 

take some pics and draw on them in a photo program what you are describing.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.