ritjobbie's crappy rocker guard build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > ritjobbie's crappy rocker guard build

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 05-18-2009, 09:24 PM   #1
ritjobbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

ritjobbie's crappy rocker guard build

I bought some steel today with the intent to make tough some rocker guards. I got inspiration from my Warn steps, courtesy of the PO, that have seen too much abuse. I bent both steps all over the place during my last visit to Rausch Creek, so I decided to take them off. Then I noticed that the driver's side step was coming off on its own and would have taken out the fuel lines on the frame with it. Just in time...

The beef will be 2"x3" steel in the 3/16" variety. I'm just going to weld them to my frame, maybe with some small bolts to hold them in place while I spray molten metal all over my face.

I should be able to finish them before the weekend, just in time for a long weekend trip to Rausch Creek (full circle).

Time for pics:

Old steps:

New steps:

Mocked with 2x4s:

Progress thus far:

I don't have plasma, so cutting those two 7" lengths of tube took me a bit. The 2"x4" piece sticking out is just to help me hold the rails in place while I mock it up; I'll grind out the tack welds later. Notch cut in the bottom plate to get around the rear spring eye hanger. These are the two rear supports, the front ones will be longer and are to be mounted where the frame is angled away from the body.

Tomorrow: cut the front supports, maybe tack the whole thing together.

Unread 05-18-2009, 09:33 PM   #2
ritjobbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

HA! I just realized that my avatar is a pic of the EXACT instant one of my Warn steps got killed.
Unread 05-18-2009, 11:58 PM   #3
wozz

Looks good Jay. You may want to think about more than two mounts to the frame per slider. I did three with mine. Also make sure you angle the ends so when you hit the slides slide and don't hang up.
wozz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2009, 07:04 AM   #4
joshs1ofakindxj

put down your purse and do some more work Jay!
joshs1ofakindxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2009, 09:57 AM   #5
FallibleXJ
1974 CJ5 

Looks good bud, when you going to fix the rear bumper thing haha
FallibleXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2009, 10:01 AM   #6
ritjobbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshs1ofakindxj View Post
put down your purse and do some more work Jay!
I will change from my skirt into coveralls after work.
Unread 05-19-2009, 01:31 PM   #7
vt98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

why didn't you just bring the parts to the MET/baja shop to get cut, we have a nice cold saw, plasma and a bunch of other stuff, just an fyi
vt98xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2009, 01:45 PM   #8
ritjobbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vt98xj View Post
why didn't you just bring the parts to the MET/baja shop to get cut, we have a nice cold saw, plasma and a bunch of other stuff, just an fyi
I always forget about the Baja shop. The two plasmas in my building are offline because of the construction that will be relocating the craft village (3 weird huts behind 7A). I'll definitely keep that in mind for next time. I only have a few more cuts to make and I still have 3 brand new metal cutting blades left for my circular saw.

CJ doesn't know it yet, but he's going to help me hold stuff in place while I tack weld the final mock-up tonight.
Unread 05-20-2009, 08:34 AM   #9
ritjobbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Last night I put my welder into 'time-out' a few times because of its short duty cycle. In any case, I have one side just about done--EXCEPT have to cut apart the welds on the long support and grind it at a slightly different angle so that it meets perfectly flush with the frame. I think it warped just slightly when I was welding it. I have just about everything cut up for the other side, so I should be able to finish everything tonight...

Unread 05-21-2009, 08:42 AM   #10
ritjobbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

One side done! Paint later...
Unread 05-21-2009, 09:52 PM   #11
ritjobbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Driver's side done. I'm not taking any closer pics than this because I don't want everyone making fun of my ugly welds. I switched from .030 to .035 wire about halfway through the second rail (ran out, welding shop closed, Home Depot didn't have .030) so my welds got ugly for a bit until I worked out the kinks of the thicker wire.

A quick 'gotcha' for anyone doing this in the future: the e-brake cable goes into the driver's side frame rail in about the perfect spot for a support for rock sliders. Thus, my slider's aren't symmetrical, but my body isn't exactly perfect either so who am I kidding. My primary goal was stairs for the wife while maintaining some aspects of body protection.

We'll see how they hold up this weekend. Let's hope I don't have to carry these things in the back of my Jeep on the way home!!!

Unread 02-27-2013, 06:14 PM   #12
soveliss
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i like the sliders do you still have them on your jeep? did you notice any problems with them being attached to the frame?
soveliss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.