Request: Welding Information FAQ v Experienced welders!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Request: Welding Information FAQ v Experienced welders!!!!

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 11-13-2007, 05:27 PM   #1
j0nesy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Request: Welding Information FAQ v Experienced welders!!!!

ok gang ... here is the idea. i have started writing a semi-technical FAQ for welding ... basically a informational paper in a technical writing format. I hav experience welding in GMAW GTAW and SMAW but i dont know everything and im not trying to sound like i do, but there are a ton of questions that keep getting answered week after week and i think a FAQ might be helpful to JF and others ....

here is what i need:

opinions on what you want into the FAQ from EVERYONE!!! experienced, novice, and anywhere in between.

from experienced welders i would like you to pic a single topic and just write maybe a paragraph on it ... ie Lead angle or Work angle or rod selection or anything else ... keep the topic narrow dont try to tell us how to stick weld in one paragraph ... im looking for this to be ~5 Pages (12 pt, single spaced in Word) for each process .. no technical manual by any means but something that will get people pointed in the correct direction ...

anything else you want to share!!!

DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A DISCUSSION THREAD!!!! i dont want to sift through 50 pages of garbage for 2 pages of gold ...dont argue about someone else's point in this thread ... im going to ask PBB member 'Bigger Valves' for collaborate on this with me and help me write something worth reading ... together with the AWS manual we will decide what is correct and what is not and what is needed in the FAQ.

for those that would liek to help, thank you. for those that want to turn this into a pissing contest, dont bother!!!

thanks guys ... let me hear your opinions!!! if you would like, you can PM me for an anon. contribution or with any questions / comments if you dont want them posted here.

-jonesy

j0nesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2007, 06:15 AM   #2
bdmonist
WTF is that?

1984 CJ7 

I would like to see some info on joint prep/requirements. ie, when to bevel, when to not, gaps needed, etc. I am somewhat novice I would say. I think this is a good idea and look forward to seeing it.

Mig settings for metal thickness / when to use forehand v backhand / changes in speed req for vertical up and down / tips on determing your penetration.

AMC 20 Write Up
In Progress - 4.56 gears, Aussie Rear Locker, Moser 1 Piece Axles
Coming Soon - CV Shafts, Welded Tubes, trusses
bdmonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2007, 12:17 PM   #3
j0nesy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmonist
I would like to see some info on joint prep/requirements. ie, when to bevel, when to not, gaps needed, etc. I am somewhat novice I would say. I think this is a good idea and look forward to seeing it.

Mig settings for metal thickness / when to use forehand v backhand / changes in speed req for vertical up and down / tips on determing your penetration.

thank you ... this is exactly the kind of post i want to see ... what you need and want!

this is going to be your (everyones) FAQ ... tell us what you want in it!!!
Unread 11-14-2007, 12:42 PM   #4
jonzer12
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have found a wealth of info in these sites, I do believe there are several faqs already in existance. At any rate you can probably
plagorize a wealth of info from them.

http://www.weldingweb.com/

http://www.millerwelds.com/education...isplay.php?f=2

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/f...splay.php?f=11

Miller and Lincoln have excellent and very active forums as well. There are great threads in there with pictures etc.
jonzer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2007, 12:58 PM   #5
j0nesy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzer12
I have found a wealth of info in these sites, I do believe there are several faqs already in existance. At any rate you can probably
plagorize a wealth of info from them.

http://www.weldingweb.com/

http://www.millerwelds.com/education...isplay.php?f=2

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/f...splay.php?f=11

Miller and Lincoln have excellent and very active forums as well. There are great threads in there with pictures etc.

thanks ...
Unread 11-29-2007, 01:05 PM   #6
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

If you plan on culling the bad info by using AWS D1.1, why don't you just take all of your info from D1.1? Do you have access to D1.2, D1.6 and D1.9?

I can answer specific questions for you, but your intro was a little vague, so I'm not sure what you're looking for. Also, don't expect JF to write your term paper for you.
Unread 11-29-2007, 02:17 PM   #7
Bigbob

I would include a section on welding "non-steel" stuff. Aluminum, Cast, Stainless by using the processes most hobby people have available to them. Stick, Small Mig, Oxy Acetylene.

Another good section would be how to manage warping of stuff while welding. This can be agravating at best. Test fit, test fit, tack, tack, tack, test fit and weld it up only to find it don't fit anymore. LOL

Possibly a couple blurbs on safety.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2007, 02:53 PM   #8
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob
I would include a section on welding "non-steel" stuff. Aluminum, Cast, Stainless by using the processes most hobby people have available to them. Stick, Small Mig, Oxy Acetylene.

Another good section would be how to manage warping of stuff while welding. This can be agravating at best. Test fit, test fit, tack, tack, tack, test fit and weld it up only to find it don't fit anymore. LOL

Possibly a couple blurbs on safety.
PM me, let me know what specific problems you're having.
Unread 11-29-2007, 04:58 PM   #9
07JEEPSTER
2007 JK Wrangler 

I can help with Titanium fab questions if anyone has a interest there.
07JEEPSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2007, 06:07 PM   #10
e-Welder
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Impossible to cover everything. What I advise for you and your Lincoln 175 may not be what I advise for someone vastly experienced with a MM 210. Open root is normally relegated to pipe or heavy plate butt joints.

Quote:
Most MIG settings for a given base thickness are included with whatever machine you buy. Unless your talking IPM, V or A. That information is normally provided by the wire manufacturer, and is only a guideline to get you into the ball park. Fine tuning is up to you, and dependant upon a lot of other variables. That detailed information is based upon wire diameter and type. The manufacturer assumes that you already know what diameter wire to use on a given thickness material.

Push or pull? I'm not touching that with a 10 foot pole. I've been welding since 1992, had extensive OJT, and I've seen what works for ME in the Met Lab. I pull EVERYTHING, except for AL MIG. Then again, I rarely MIG anything thinner than .250, I TIG the thin stuff.

V up V down? Nothing I can write will explain V up. Practice, practice, practice. V down is only good if you're experienced, and you understand some basic weld fundamentals. V down with the MIG process has less penetration than V up, and is much more susceptable to cold lap.

Penetration? There are no tips. There is only one way to clearly see your penetration. Section the joint and etch with acid. Everything else is a guesstimate.

Last edited by e-Welder; 11-29-2007 at 08:25 PM..
e-Welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2007, 06:16 PM   #11
bdmonist
WTF is that?

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-Welder
Impossible to cover everything. What I advise for you and your HF 110v MIG may not be what I advise for someone experienced with a MM 210. Open root is normally relegated to pipe or heavy plate butt joints.

Most MIG settings for a given base thickness are included with whatever machine you buy. Unless your talking IPM, V or A. That information is normally provided by the wire manufacturer, and is only a guideline to get you into the ball park. Fine tuning is up to you, and dependant upon a lot of other variables. That detailed information is based upon wire diameter and type. The manufacturer assumes that you already know what diameter wire to use on a given thickness material.

Push or pull? I'm not touching that with a 10 foot pole. I've been welding since 1992, had extensive OJT, and I've seen what works for ME in the Met Lab. I pull EVERYTHING, except for AL MIG. Then again, I hardly MIG anything thinner than .250.

V up V down? Nothing I can write will explain V up. Practice, practice, practice. V down is only good if you're experienced, and you understand some basic weld fundamentals. V down with the MIG process has less penetration than V up, and is much more susceptable to cold lap.

Penetration? There are no tips. There is only one way to clearly see your penetration. Section the joint and etch with acid. Everything else is a guesstimate.
Did you read the original post?

- And what makes you think I have a HF welder?

AMC 20 Write Up
Unread 11-29-2007, 06:23 PM   #12
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gertsch
PM me, let me know what specific problems you're having.
I have no problems. I just made my contribution to what he wanted as far as topics.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2007, 06:32 PM   #13
e-Welder
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Did you read the original post?

- And what makes you think I have a HF welder?
I did see the original post.

Did I answer your questions?

Do you dispute my generalized answers?

The problems with your questions is that they are too vast for anyone to sit here and type away for days on end. The information is out there, provided by the AWS. I am not going to re-type something already published, or try to recite the volumes from memory. I doubt anyone will.

I'm giving my opinion on a potential topic. I think it's not a good selection. If others disagree with me, so be it. It's only my opinion.

The HF/MM welder scenario was fictional, a hypothetical situation. If it makes you feel better, tell me what welder you have, your experience level, and I will edit my previous post accordingly.
Unread 11-29-2007, 06:40 PM   #14
bdmonist
WTF is that?

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nesy

DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A DISCUSSION THREAD!!!! i dont want to sift through 50 pages of garbage for 2 pages of gold ...dont argue about someone else's point in this thread ... im going to ask PBB member 'Bigger Valves' for collaborate on this with me and help me write something worth reading ... together with the AWS manual we will decide what is correct and what is not and what is needed in the FAQ.

-jonesy
And no, you really didn't answer any questions - but that's not the point of the thread.

AMC 20 Write Up
Unread 11-29-2007, 07:20 PM   #15
e-Welder
1999 WJ 

Quote:
And no, you really didn't answer any questions - but that's not the point of the thread.
Well then, I'll answer everything right here without typing for the next 10 years.

http://www.awspubs.com/

I wish everyone luck with this discussion.

PS-You never responded to my question; Do you have a Harbor Freight welder, or do I need to change my fictional example?

Last thing I want to do is upset anyone in here. I came here to exchange information on a friendly basis, and to help others with the little that I know about welding.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.