Removing a snow plow - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Removing a snow plow

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 09-13-2012, 05:32 AM   #1
MrGeepers
1960 CJ5 

Removing a snow plow

I have just purchased a 1960 Jeep CJ5 for a frame up restoration. It has a Western snow set-up welded to the frame. I would like to remove it and I do not have a welder. What is my best option? Should I use an angle grinder with a cutting wheel? Should I cut directly at the welds or at the metal above them? What is the best method to remove the weld residue from the front bumper? Thanks in advance....

dsc_6882.jpg  
Unread 09-14-2012, 03:17 PM   #2
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Your project is going to take a lot of fabrication. Not only to cut off the plow/attachment but to return the front-end to it's normal function.

Your idea of using the angle grinder should work, that and a sawzall. Try to grind and cut directly through the welds, or just on the plow side. Then use a grinding wheel to remove the remaining material back to the original steel. I'm going to guess that you have a lot of modified and removed steel from the original front end. You may want to research a wire fed welder.

A quick note here on eye, nose and ear protection. Please use them.

Also, if you can get the plow off in one piece you can sell it to fund your fab equipment. Looks like a fun project.
Diamond-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
festerw
2003 TJ Wrangler 

That's definitely a disaster, like said above cut through the welds if you can. That's for sure a 'custom' deal and a poor one at that.
Unread 10-09-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Were you able to make any progress on this?
Diamond-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
RedlegWJ
1999 WJ 

Sawzall won't be real fast but it'll do wonders for you with cutting oil if you take your time.
Gray 99 Laredo with '04 driveline wap. Tons of fun coming soon. Steel bumpers. 5 1/2" IRO coils, IRO adj. track bar. Rancho RS9000 Addco rear sway. 2"x.250" DOM long arms with johny joints. Custom A-arm with ball joint delete (J-joint). JK Moab wheels/ 33x 12.5 x 17 Cooper SST. Bushwacker Flares.
RedlegWJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.