Removed Spare... room for mods! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-08-2004, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
LoneJeeper
i wear foil underwear too

2013 MJ Comanche 

Removed Spare... room for mods!

Hey all,

Removed the spare tire bracket and now I've got some spare bolt holes!

I'm thinking I want a gas (jerry can) and a water container holder.

Anyone have something like this? I've seen swingouts with such holders, but I don't necessarily want a spare, just a cage that uses those bolts.

any ideas?

LoneJeeper.

ಠ_ಠ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-08-2004, 09:44 PM
77'cj7

Heres some pictures of my SWING OUT tire carier/jerry can holder/hi-lift mount. The bumper is by trailready. The jeep is in the shop right now, so these are the only pictures ive got.

The part that is relevant to what your doin is the jerry can holder itself. It is a spring loaded and uses a wing nut. It clamps the can with absolutely no damage to can, and easy removal. It holds onto the side of the can, so you could mount it flat against your jeep instead of sideways like mine. It is about the height of the can, and you will have to fabricate a mount for it. (Mines built into the bumper.) I can not remember what company makes it. If you are interested, ill have my jeep back in about a week, and i can get you some better pictures of it, along with the name of the manufacurer.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-09-2004, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
LoneJeeper

2013 MJ Comanche 

Nice looking Jeep. Really diggin the bumpers.

I'm looking for something that bolts to the holes that the spare tire mount used to use... right on the tailgate. I'm mildly concerned about the weight...

5 gal gerry can... gas is 6lbs a gal.... 30 lbs.
5 gal water can.. water is 8lbs a gal 40lbs...
+ weight of the metal and containers...

> 70lbs seems like alot of strain for the tailgate...

what else could i put there?

ಠ_ಠ

post #4 of 7 Old 07-09-2004, 09:35 AM
77'cj7

You could mount the Jerry Can and a Hi-lift there. Dont think it would break anything
post #5 of 7 Old 07-10-2004, 10:58 PM
Rio_Grande
1997 TJ Wrangler 

This is by no means a scientific answer, but the stock tj rear doors break down over time with as small as a 32" tire. Mine has had a 31 inch hanging off of it for 3 years and I can tell a huge diffrence between closing it with the tire on as opposed to without, and there is no sloshing in a tire. I would stick to a bumper mounted carrier. Build your own or check into a company that does custom work like Jp-Fab or AtoZ both do custom work,,, Or better yet build it yourself... It is 10 times cooler then even if it does not look good.

I love this crap!!
post #6 of 7 Old 07-11-2004, 07:30 AM
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

Tis is a partial pic. My bracket mounts to the spare tire holes. It took about an hour to fab a bracket. I'll see if I can get a pic of the bracket. The high lift is mounted to the top of the cans.
Attached Images

2007, 4 door, powered by a minivan engine, locked and riding on 35's.

[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-11-2004, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
LoneJeeper

2013 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by igofshn
Tis is a partial pic. My bracket mounts to the spare tire holes. It took about an hour to fab a bracket. I'll see if I can get a pic of the bracket. The high lift is mounted to the top of the cans.
awesome. have you noticed any strain on the tailgate?

I'm trying to figure out a less theif-friendly solution... currently cadding a roller-coaster over-the-top restraint style locking mechanism.

i'll keep ya posted.

ಠ_ಠ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.