Remote control windshield light - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 01-09-2012, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
beefcake3
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Remote control windshield light

what i want to do but havent yet started any sketches for is to take the motor and switch from a car mirror and mount it to the drivers side windshield light.

has anyone done this before and any suggestions and ideas would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-09-2012, 05:21 PM
RockMonster
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i wouldent see why it wouldent work, might have issues with weight and wind resistance pushing the light a certain way how are you planning to mount? personally i would try to mount with the light putting as little leverage as possable on the motor.

God... my spelling sux.... +++++++++++++++++++++++OIIIIO+++++++++++++++++++++ ++++
post #3 of 12 Old 01-13-2012, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
beefcake3
1998 TJ Wrangler 

im thinking of a U shaped bracket the has a motor inside of it that attaches to windshield bracket and has the light mounted on top of it and the motor spins the bracket that the light is attached to

post #4 of 12 Old 01-13-2012, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
beefcake3
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Sketch:
bracket.jpg

Material:
bracket-material.jpg

The stepper motor and a zoom switch the i took off a video camera:
bracket-parts.jpg
post #5 of 12 Old 01-13-2012, 02:03 PM
rdsk8ter
1982 CJ7 

very interesting idea I would love to see how this turns out. What about a window motor? seems to me that youll need two motors one for up down one for side side I would think a mirror wouldnt go side to side up and down sure but wheres the side to side

here is my build threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f104/randys-offroad-trailer-1164102/
post #6 of 12 Old 01-13-2012, 02:44 PM
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I was going to do this i would scrounge around the junkyards and find a powered mirror from something an F250...mine has them and it will adjust everyway you can think of,up,down,side to side,just get the switch and motor and the lil harness that comes with it..this way you'll have full adjustment all around and plus the motors in them i would imagine are sealed from weather since they just sit inside a plastice box in the mirror...

Just a thought......

and thats a GREATt idea..there's been many a times i was runnin the long back stretch of roads here in Ga and wishing i could adjust them on the fly looking for deer on the sides of the road way ahead............

Don't DREAM your life, LIVE your dreams

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-13-2012, 08:54 PM
webdog
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Interested to see how this turns out!

I just installed some A Pillar Police lights on my XJ for this same reason of adjustability.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-14-2012, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
beefcake3
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
I was going to do this i would scrounge around the junkyards and find a powered mirror from something an F250...mine has them and it will adjust everyway you can think of,up,down,side to side,just get the switch and motor and the lil harness that comes with it..this way you'll have full adjustment all around and plus the motors in them i would imagine are sealed from weather since they just sit inside a plastice box in the mirror...

Just a thought......

and thats a GREATt idea..there's been many a times i was runnin the long back stretch of roads here in Ga and wishing i could adjust them on the fly looking for deer on the sides of the road way ahead............
i decided to not to use a door mirror motor because i didnt think it would give me the full 180 degree rotation i wanted
post #9 of 12 Old 01-14-2012, 08:41 AM
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Might want to check a lil closer into those power mirror motors,if i run mine all the way to one side the motor still runs but the mirror kind of clicks like its just slipping on some kind ratcheting system

Don't DREAM your life, LIVE your dreams

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...
post #10 of 12 Old 01-14-2012, 01:18 PM
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

At a stop or while crawling slowly the motors should hold fine. I'd highly recommend you have whatever spotlight pointed down or at least where the back teardrop area is facing forward for highway driving. We had an entire fleet of inoperable motorized spotlights from the wind catching them and flopping them back. I've seen motorized ones on boats that work great, but for some reason (likely do to smaller size availability) car ones seem to break easily. I think the best or at least easiest to use are the old standard pillar mounted light with the handle inside the cab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-14-2012, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
beefcake3
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
At a stop or while crawling slowly the motors should hold fine. I'd highly recommend you have whatever spotlight pointed down or at least where the back teardrop area is facing forward for highway driving. We had an entire fleet of inoperable motorized spotlights from the wind catching them and flopping them back. I've seen motorized ones on boats that work great, but for some reason (likely do to smaller size availability) car ones seem to break easily. I think the best or at least easiest to use are the old standard pillar mounted light with the handle inside the cab.
i have thought about this and im thinking of putting a solenoid to lock it into holes that a drilled in the windshield bracket at desired positions
(the purpose of the second hole on the back of the bracket on the picture of sketch)
post #12 of 12 Old 01-15-2012, 10:37 AM
zooby
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I would use small power window motors and mount it on the bumper. Ive had to repair a bunch of power mirrors working with GM over the last 30 years and I don't think they would hold the load very long.
So here's my idea.
Mount the motor in a small box to the light housing, lay it on its side. This will be your "up/down". Mount the next motor/box under. This will be your "side to side"
Mount the whole thing in the center of your front bumper. Add something to cradle the light when not in use (face down onto a stop or ledge)
The problem with my idea is the side to side motor is carrying a bit of a load. Possibly reinforce the box it's in and use a bearing on the shaft.
The easy way would be go buy the ones they mount on the top of motor homes (probably the same mentioned earlier for boats)
This idea just got added to my never ending list of things to build for my Jeep.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.