Recovery tabs out of Tool Steel? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Recovery tabs out of Tool Steel?

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 09-29-2014, 03:06 PM   #1
Domaso
2004 WJ 

Recovery tabs out of Tool Steel?

I'm planning to fabricate and add some recovery shackle/D-ring tabs to the front of my Jeep WJ. I found a guy who sells just the right size flat bar I need, but it's Tool Steel... (he said it's hardness T10 or something..). He said it's hard but drillable.

I wonder if this steel is suitable for recovery tabs, not too brittle? The shackles are going to be WLL 3.25T (0.7" pin) and the tabs I'm going to make are shown in the picture. As you can see there is 0.5" of "meat" around the pin (not sure if that's enough).

Any thoughts if this tool steel would be good, or should I just buy the regular "mild"/"carbon" steel?

shackle-tab-.jpg  
Unread 09-29-2014, 03:27 PM   #2
AtTheHelm

You could just get those tabs premade with similar dimensions. There is a well known member on here who sells them, but I'll let him chime in if he's selling them at the moment.

Or you can just get Fawkes Fabrication's stand alone shackle mounts or Mini Max front receiver and be done with it...
AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2014, 03:34 PM   #3
Domaso
2004 WJ 

It's a bit different in my case, check the location under my username
Unread 09-29-2014, 07:16 PM   #4
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

For strength they will work but the bigger question is the alloy type of the steel. Some tool steels would be to brittle to deal with a jerking motion of a recovery point while others would be just fine. From what info you have given I'm guessing its a high speed tungsten base tool steel that's rather brittle for your intended use. T-type and M-type tool steels are used for cutting tools where strength and hardness must be retained at temperatures up to or exceeding 760 C. Personally I think it would be better and cheaper to get mild steel over tool steel.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2014, 11:59 PM   #5
AtTheHelm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domaso
It's a bit different in my case, check the location under my username
Whoops.. Yeah shipping would be big $$$ to Lithuania. I'm using the JF iphone app so locations don't show up.

As Anthos said, they'll be brittle which isn't good for shock loads. I've never welded tool steel, but my guess is you'd really have to preheat it before welding them to the brackets you make.

Good luck!
AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2014, 12:18 AM   #6
Domaso
2004 WJ 

You're right guys, that tool steel probably isn't a very good choice.. (that was just an idea as I could've gotten a perfectly shaped blank probably for even cheaper than mild steel).

I'm thinking that tool steel would probably be ok in normal conditions, but we sometimes get down to -10F or colder here in winter, so I wonder if the tab wouldn't crack off on a good tug... Plus it would be a pain to drill/machine/weld..

I guess I'll just go with the regular mild steel.
Unread 10-11-2014, 09:09 PM   #7
dwilliams35
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I think it'd work, but it'd be a boogerbear to drill unless you've got a mill or something, and you're going to weaken any strength it's inherently got as soon as you put a welder to it anyway.
dwilliams35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.