Recommendations for TIG - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Recommendations for TIG

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 10-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #16
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Could some of the more experienced guys post up what tungsten (types and thicknesses) and filler thicknesses you guys use for different metal thickness. Mild steel for now.

I picked up some Argon, 3/32" er70s2 filler, and am using the 3/32" Lanthanated tungsten the seller left in the torch.

Here are my first welds with the new toy on some 1/4" I had laying around. Still playing with amperage control (using a finger control, don't have a foot pedal yet) and trying different torch and filler dab techniques.

What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 05:24 AM   #17
2000-TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Nice welder and nice welds.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mark-Wood-Carpentry/117967248267233?ref=stream
2000-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 09:38 PM   #18
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000-TJ View Post
Nice welder and nice welds.
Thanks!
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 10-10-2012, 09:24 PM   #19
Stow
1995 YJ Wrangler 

More used to stainless, satellite and aluminum. Just remember to keep a good point on the tungsten, that was always the main thing for me. If you go thick, you may want to try helium, or a mix - gives more penetration. Prefer straight argon on aluminum. Also harder to maintain arc with helium. If you start doing stainless do short beads, otherwise weld will sag on backside. Have fun.
Stow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #20
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the pointers. Have been pretty good at keeping the tip out of the weld so far and have been keeping them sharp with the grinding marks parallel with the tungsten.

I've found that out with stainless. Played with a couple thin pieces and some stainless tubing and had to cut my amps way down to keep the weld from sagging through.
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 10-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #21
Stow
1995 YJ Wrangler 

On pipe you can fill with argon and that helps reduce the sag. Pricey. I prefer a quick small bead, then fill over that. Your beads look good for just starting.
Stow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #22
03ranger4oh

On the top picture on this page: the middle part looks the best. From this view it seems concave, try adding more filler or slowing down. 3/32 filler will work, 1/8th is easier for me. Slow down and get the puddle going good, step forward with the torch, dip the wire, then step back to burn it in. Don't be afraid to manipulate the torch to get it to burn in how you want to as well. As long as your not over-filling you shouldn't have penetration problems, if the amperage is high enough and there are no defects in the weld. TIG is the hardest to learn because of the seperation of filler and penetration, with MIG you have them both happening at the same time. TIG you have all the control in the world. Keep a steady, consistant torch angle, consistant speed and consistant puddle size and step. Step, dip, step back, step, dip. step back. Rinse and repeat.
03ranger4oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #23
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03ranger4oh
On the top picture on this page: the middle part looks the best. From this view it seems concave, try adding more filler or slowing down. 3/32 filler will work, 1/8th is easier for me. Slow down and get the puddle going good, step forward with the torch, dip the wire, then step back to burn it in. Don't be afraid to manipulate the torch to get it to burn in how you want to as well. As long as your not over-filling you shouldn't have penetration problems, if the amperage is high enough and there are no defects in the weld. TIG is the hardest to learn because of the seperation of filler and penetration, with MIG you have them both happening at the same time. TIG you have all the control in the world. Keep a steady, consistant torch angle, consistant speed and consistant puddle size and step. Step, dip, step back, step, dip. step back. Rinse and repeat.
Thanks for the advice. I didn't think I was adding enough filler on those welds. We have been learning to manupulate the torch more in class recently and I'm starting to get the hang of it a little better I think.

Here are my most recent fillet welds on 1/4"

Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 10-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #24
03ranger4oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I didn't think I was adding enough filler on those welds. We have been learning to manupulate the torch more in class recently and I'm starting to get the hang of it a little better I think.

Here are my most recent fillet welds on 1/4"

Those are looking a heck of a lot better! Keep it up!
Unread 10-16-2012, 02:22 PM   #25
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03ranger4oh

Those are looking a heck of a lot better! Keep it up!
Thanks! I'll be trying my hand at TIGing som tubing in class tonight, we'll see how that goes.
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 10-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #26
03ranger4oh

Small diameter tubing is tougher because of the constant gun angle changes. Bigger stuff is easier because the curve is slower. Hardest part is getting comfortable I guess. Great thing being is that you can make some realllly nice tie ins with TIG, so even if you split it up into quarters you can still make it look dang good.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.