Recommendations on low cost welding setup - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Recommendations on low cost welding setup

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 10-14-2013, 07:10 AM   #16
ToledoDave

I have taken a mini mig course for giggles to have time with 120v Hobart, lincoln and miller and found some info you may fimd intresting. I chose Lincoln hands down for one main reason. I could not duty cycle the Lincoln out. Miller duty cycled out fastest. Hobart was tough but duty cycled out. Lincoln however would not no matter how hot or how much wire i shoved through it. So i ruled miller right out. Then the Hobart chief complaint of mine was the nozzle was a.floating nozzle. Which i have bad habbit of tapping gun to knock off weld bb's out of the nozzle from my years of production welding and moveing location of my nozzle. So i chose the 220v Lincoln and live it. I can run .025-.035 wire and penetrate 1/4 steel -sheet metal all day long. I highly recommmend Lincoln for their Duty cycle and welding needs. Just my opinion. :/

ToledoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #17
aep4749
2014 JK Wrangler 

I have the Eastwood MIG 135 and am happy with it.
aep4749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 09:44 AM   #18
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

I got one from Northern Tool. It's basically the same as the Eastwood mentioned above but with different colors. It was between that and the Hobart 135 but this came with a regulator, so between that and free shipping that was the deal breaker. However I don't like the regulator that came with it so I might have been better off just paying the extra $60-70 and bought it local.
The performance though has been fine and I've used it to do extensive sheetmetal welding on my Jeep tub. The biggest improvement was going with gas and solid wire, as opposed to flux core wire.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 09:57 AM   #19
ToledoDave

Absolutly...gas and solid wire is the only way to go when doing cosmetic body repair. You dont want to deal with flux for contamination reasons in paint also you dont want to need to chip flux on a straight good panel.
ToledoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 08:25 AM   #20
nixer600

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraper View Post
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I like the idea of runnign on 120v. As my power box at home doesn't have any open slots to add another 220V line.

I think I will start watching craigslist and the pawnshop for a quality american brand like that Hobart 120V.
Check out Eastwood mig welders 3 year warrantee no questions asked. Consumables are easy to find at any welding shop because they are the same as a a big brand like miller or Hobart I don't recall exactly. On Sale now free shipping.

As far as needing 220 put a plug on your water heater, and unplug the water heater and plug in your welder when you need to weld.

My 210 amp welder worked fine on my water heater 25 amp 220 breaker with #10 wire.

Try to avoid the 110 welders they limit you very much.

Really though check out the Eastwood mig welders call and talk to them about the warrantee it's great for a home hobby machine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
nixer600 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.