Recommend a decent welder for a beginner... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Recommend a decent welder for a beginner...

FLASH SALE! Open thread to reveil the Newest Sale @ ROCKRIFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 03-28-2013, 09:46 AM   #16
GODMODEX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

eastwood is another decently priced option

Unread 03-29-2013, 02:01 PM   #17
spward

1985 CJ7 

I am stuck between Hobart and Miller, I like the price of the eastwoods, but I have seen too many issues from other reviews that it takes a long time to get issues resolved. The PO of my house had a dedicated 220-50A circuit installed for the hot tub we no longer have. I think I would need to fabricate an extension cord and add an outlet where the wires come out of the breakerbox to make it work anywhere in the garage. So the issue is that I can get a Hobart 190 for $732 or a Millermatic 180 for $867 with a $43 mail-in rebate. So for $92, I get a little better machine with more control. In the end, I would recoop more money if I had to sell it on the used market based on what the CL people are demanding. I learned on Miller 252 and 135, so I think something in between should work for me. I have no desire to shell out that kind of money, but the way the wife upgrades furniture, I think I can swing it. Buy the best machine you can afford, then practice.

USN Hull #227
spward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2013, 02:05 PM   #18
steviej35

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Lincoln, Miller, Hobart....look on craigs list for a used one....if you can't afford new....flux core is ok....But welding with shielding gas is a lot better....Practice practice practice
Unread 03-29-2013, 11:37 PM   #19
oalali
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Try ESAB, i had one and loved it. Go with bigger welders if you can afford it

My next is going to Miller multimatic because i lake space in my small garage.
Unread 03-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #20
sanctified
2013 JK Wrangler 

Check Home Depot. I was checking rental prices the other day for some yard work equipment and saw a big sign that said they sell used stuff. I walked around and saw that they rent Lincoln 125 Mig/Flux welders. When I asked the guy about it he said they sell their stuff after about 3 years for 1/3 to 1/2 of the original cost. They had one that is about to hit that mark and he said it would sell for about $170. He took my info and is going to call me when they get the go ahead to sell it. A brand new Lincoln 125 is $420 so I feel like a used one for that price for me, a total beginner that doesn't want to invest serious $$$ from the get go is worth it. Plus, after each use they are tested to ensure everything works and if something doesn't they are fixed before they go back out the door. Seems like its at least worth checking out.
Utah Jeep Crew #178
sanctified is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.