rear strech advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > rear strech advice

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 02-27-2011, 08:51 PM   #1
NBFarmboy
1998 TJ Wrangler 

rear strech advice

my starting point
98 tj, 4" short arm, 15 gallon fuel tank with stock skid, rubi dana 44, 2" body lift
and making new fuel lines for the 5.3 swap

i already cut off the rear crossmember, and want weld my bumper on as a crossmember, move the gas tank up and more to the rear, to make room for a 4" stretch and outboarding the shocks

i want the advice and design help of others on this
i am contemplating either one of these
1 cutting off the crossmember the rear shocks mount to and making a new one two inches higher and making even more room for the gas tank

or 2, cutting the frame and the bend and making the whole frame from factory crossmember back two inches higher so i can eliminate the body pucks in the back and make the bumper and everything else higher

anybody have some thoughts about this??

"Bullfrog" 88 XJ 4.0, Doorless, 2" lift, 33-10.5 tires, very cut fenders...
NBFarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2011, 08:00 AM   #2
NBFarmboy
1998 TJ Wrangler 

nobody has any thoughts about these methods ???
Unread 03-10-2011, 11:28 AM   #3
NBFarmboy
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i don't know why i bother asking, no one ever responds...
Unread 03-10-2011, 05:46 PM   #4
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

It's not that nobody wants to respond.. but more likely that not too many here have done that particular mod.

I don't have a TJ to look at as a reference so I'll generalize..

You mention raising the gas tank and moving it reaward to make room for your stretch. If I were going to do that, and already had the rear crossmember cut off.. I would probably just drop the tank loose, scoot it up against the body and back as far as I wanted, and then fab up whatever I needed to suppport it. If that means cutting/moving an existing crossmember, so be it.

I've done a stretch on a YJ before.. we just cut the frame off at the highest point of the bend (above the axle) and replaced everything with 2"x4" rectangle. It was basically a straight shot back where we welded a 2"x4" bumper directly to the ends... Since we were free to reposition the frame rails, we moved them inboard a bit to clear coilovers. You could probably do something similar.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2011, 09:24 PM   #5
NBFarmboy
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
It's not that nobody wants to respond.. but more likely that not too many here have done that particular mod.

I don't have a TJ to look at as a reference so I'll generalize..

You mention raising the gas tank and moving it reaward to make room for your stretch. If I were going to do that, and already had the rear crossmember cut off.. I would probably just drop the tank loose, scoot it up against the body and back as far as I wanted, and then fab up whatever I needed to suppport it. If that means cutting/moving an existing crossmember, so be it.

I've done a stretch on a YJ before.. we just cut the frame off at the highest point of the bend (above the axle) and replaced everything with 2"x4" rectangle. It was basically a straight shot back where we welded a 2"x4" bumper directly to the ends... Since we were free to reposition the frame rails, we moved them inboard a bit to clear coilovers. You could probably do something similar.

thanks beserk that the kinda thoughts i needed

when you cut the frame and replaced it with 2x4 did you cut the body at all??? how exatly did you do that???
also did you put the gas tank through the floor or what??
one of my limits is that the rear floor has to stay intact for passengers, and cargo, so having the tank through the floor is kinda out of the question unless i get really creative..

as for moving the frame inboard i do like the sound of that as a am outboarding the shocks during this process...

trying to make this a very interesting fun project that turns a few heads now and then
but mainly i was a stretch, good departure angle and a sweeter rig lol
all that for a daily driver lol
Unread 03-13-2011, 12:58 AM   #6
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I know this may be a little apple to oranges, but I stretched my yj using the genright tank and a new rear cross member. I also outboarded the shocks with the poly pro towers. It may not help you but here is the link anyway.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/e.../#post10756552

www.rockfrogs.org
E_ROCK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2011, 06:17 AM   #7
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBFarmboy View Post
thanks beserk that the kinda thoughts i needed

when you cut the frame and replaced it with 2x4 did you cut the body at all??? how exatly did you do that???
also did you put the gas tank through the floor or what??
one of my limits is that the rear floor has to stay intact for passengers, and cargo, so having the tank through the floor is kinda out of the question unless i get really creative..

as for moving the frame inboard i do like the sound of that as a am outboarding the shocks during this process...

trying to make this a very interesting fun project that turns a few heads now and then
but mainly i was a stretch, good departure angle and a sweeter rig lol
all that for a daily driver lol

Here's a link to all the work we did on that YJ. YJ BUILD

For this rig, we used a 15gallon fuel cell in the bed of the rig. You could probably get by with a small flat cell under the bed if you have to keep the back seat.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.