Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier Follow Along - Page 99 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier Follow Along

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 07-19-2011, 06:33 AM   #1471
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grebva3 View Post
Eddie,
If I were to drill into the lower part of my bumper/tire carrier IOT mount some reverse lights, would it cause and structural damage?
Thanks
I did a couple bumpers with those oval "push in" style tail lights/reverse lights. No issues to date. I would drill a small hole in the bottom of the bumper for rain water to drain out.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2011, 07:28 PM   #1472
JJeeper09
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hey eddie! I lost the little screw for the aluminum cap on the spindle. I was making sure the thing was good and tight and dropped it and it must have rolled off! What size is that little devil
Unread 07-20-2011, 07:41 PM   #1473
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJeeper09 View Post
Hey eddie! I lost the little screw for the aluminum cap on the spindle. I was making sure the thing was good and tight and dropped it and it must have rolled off! What size is that little devil
1/4"-20 x 1/4" long

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 07-20-2011, 07:43 PM   #1474
JJeeper09
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks man. I ended up tacking the big nut to keep it tight, Hopefully i can clean it off when the time comes. But the bumper saved my rear corner the other day at Crozet! I came back hard 3-4 times and it didnt budge. Stout and strong! Thanks Eddie!
Unread 07-21-2011, 12:52 PM   #1475
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Did something a little different this past weekend. Been doing my typical 2x4 bumpers for quite some time. However, had a local wheeler who wanted something a little "fuller" with built in winch plate...etc.

So... I drew it up and cut the pieces on the plasma table. Tried to make most of it "lock" togther with slots/tabs. Also wanted to make sure the shackle mounts had their attachment point spread out a bit and were tied into the bumper's mounting points. Did the upper plate out of 1/4" and the rest out of 3/16"..

Upper plate on its side with shackle mount and lower mounting tab exposed..

Another view from the bottom showing the bottom mount..

Other side of the shackle mount.. tied into one of the gussets.. via "rosette weld"..

Top of bumper.. 1/4" plate

Rest of the pieces added along with a simple winch hoop and a front receiver. I'll get some pics of it painted/mounted later from the customer..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 07-21-2011, 01:09 PM   #1476
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Nice. My buddy just got a front bumper with stinger from ya. Hope to get the rear bumper/tire carrier sometime, if there are any revisions.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2011, 01:46 PM   #1477
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Looks AWESOME....Then again we really didn't expect anything less.

Quote:
Does your gas tank overflow at the pump?
SUBMIT FORMAL COMPLAINT HERE!

2005 Rubicon LJ Unlimited - 4 1/2" BDS Suspension - 285/75/16 Toyo M/T's - 12,000# Winch - Ground Pounder Fab Rear Bumper - FabRieckAtions Custom Front Bumper - Overkill Engineering Tube Fenders - GR8 Half Top - Rock Hard Cage - Banks Monster Exhaust - 5.13 Gears - High Performance Flux Capacitor

1976 CJ-7 - 33" Super Swampers - BDS 4" Suspension - 6 Point Roll Cage
Mud Machine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2011, 07:22 PM   #1478
04_Sahara_Man
2004 TJ Wrangler 

You think you would offer this as your regular products or too much work for one?
In Pennsylvania, fun is illegal
Xbox live GT - TheExecutive00
Tama, Paiste, DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth....yes I go boom boom!
04_Sahara_Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2011, 07:27 PM   #1479
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04_Sahara_Man View Post
You think you would offer this as your regular products or too much work for one?
I might do this style once I get all the slots/tabs/bends where I want them. Took me about 5hrs of work for this first one.. had to do a little grinding here and there for final fitup. I'm sure I could trim 1-2 hrs off that pretty easy.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 07-21-2011, 09:34 PM   #1480
04_Sahara_Man
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thats sweet, I'm down for one if you start making them like that.
In Pennsylvania, fun is illegal
Xbox live GT - TheExecutive00
Tama, Paiste, DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth....yes I go boom boom!
04_Sahara_Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2011, 09:00 AM   #1481
Harold_Ray

This has got to be one of the best sales sites I've ever seen. It runs from near the early on with a post 08-26-2004, 12:33 AM saying,

Quote:
I've been making bumpers for awhile and the biggest question I get is, "When are you going to make a Rear Swingout?!" Well, I finally got most of the parts together and figured I would start today. I thought I'd post along the way with updates as the project progresses. I hope to be done by this weekend. I will post a list of the tools I used (and hopefully substitutions you can use). I will also post a list of materials I used and any useful links that might help to locate parts. Hope this thread helps someone else as Tire Carriers seem to be a pretty popular fabrication topic.
to a full blown, nation-wide business, over a period of 7 years, with innovation, suggestions, offshoots around the country, to sales, delivery reports, reviews, recommendations, and more sales. What a great thread and read.

I always looks forward to read about what is going on here. But, I've got a 2011 Rubicon, so I can't even buy one or a set. I'm still hooked though!

Ray
Harold_Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2011, 09:52 AM   #1482
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Crazy how some things turn out isn't it?

Actually though, I'm still a small shop.. pretty much a "one-man-band".. with my son helping me now. I still work a full-time "dayjob" as a Defense Contractor (Army Instructor) and do the fabrication thing evenings and weekends.. and Holidays. Ask anyone locally where they would find me at 9am on Christmas, New Years, Tgiving, 4th July, Labor Day, Memorial Day, Veteran's Day, my and my Wedding Anniversary.. and I'd bet a dollar-to-a-donut that they'll say "the shop."

On a serious note though. Jeepforum is a great "advertising platform" for anyone interested in selling anything even remotely related to Jeeps/Offroad. Where else would you be able to reach out and touch this many other Jeep Addicts?

When I first started this bumper thread, I was still Active Duty Army and really had no interest in doing fabrication at this level. I was just enjoying making things and working on my own projects. I quickly found that it's very easy to "work yourself into more work." so you have to be careful what you wish for. This year, my goal is to go wheeling at least twice..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 07-22-2011, 10:14 AM   #1483
zachv
Web Wheeler

Don't turn into this guy:

REDRUM REDRUM!!
570-385-3931--shop
zachv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2011, 01:29 PM   #1484
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Zach.. I've hit that point a few times over the past 3-4 years or so... but I'm better now.

Wouldn't matter.. I've never been one to sit still for more than 5 minutes. If I'm not doing something, I'm just aging.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 07-25-2011, 03:38 PM   #1485
josh25050
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Besrk.

You have mad metal fab skills....im going to start building my tire carrier bumper soon...loosely based off your very frist design...need alot practice though havent welded for about 4 years...hopefully if all truns out ok i might even try to make a rook rack...kind of like a surco rack...it will still be a few mouths though...just laying the foundation for my garage now...but ill make sure to post pics when im done...thanks for the insperation...keep up the good work.
josh25050 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.