Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier Follow Along

1M views 2K replies 530 participants last post by  boomvader 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been making bumpers for awhile and the biggest question I get is, "When are you going to make a Rear Swingout?!" Well, I finally got most of the parts together and figured I would start today. I thought I'd post along the way with updates as the project progresses. I hope to be done by this weekend. I will post a list of the tools I used (and hopefully substitutions you can use). I will also post a list of materials I used and any useful links that might help to locate parts. Hope this thread helps someone else as Tire Carriers seem to be a pretty popular fabrication topic.

First, a word about shop safety... ya only got one pair of eyes so use the safety glasses/face shield (especially when grinding, drilling.. etc)! Also, when using loud machines (like the grinder) where ear muffs or ear plugs. Lastly, use gloves to save your hands (drilling/grinding).

Tools used:
Plasma Cutter (suppose a chop saw and jig saw could substitute but you'll be cutting for a long time).
Welder (220v wire feed nice but a stick will do)
Grinder (I use both a 7" and a 4 1/2")
Band Saw (chop saw can be used)
Drill Press (hand drill can be used)
2 1/4" bi-metal hole saw
long 1/4" drill bit
1/2" drill bit
11/16" drill bit
1" drill bit (big sucker for the clevis mount holes.. it's a PITA to do!)
Scribe
Center Punch
Tape Measure
Machinist Square
Hammer
Slag Hammer
Phosphoric Acid to clean/etch the steel (Lowe's)

Materials Used: for basic bumper...
2"x4"x1/4" wall rectangular stock 55" long (can sub thinner material if you like but I like it beefy!)
approx 7" length of 2 1/2"x2 1/2"x1/4" wall stock for receiver (can sub a store bought receiver tube.. Northern has one for like $10)
approx 7" of 2 1/2"x1/4" thick flat stock for chain plate
approx 6" length of 3"x1/4" wall square stock (for mounting legs and receiver lip)
approx 18" of 3"x3/8" thick flat stock cut in half for the bumper mounting flanges
approx 18" of 2"x1/4" thick flat stock for bumper end caps
approx one foot of 2"x3/4" thick flat stock for clevis mounts

Materials for the Swingout
2 1/2"x1/4" wall DOM Tubing (from here.. DOM Tubing)
2"OD pipe for the inner sleeve/bearing spacer(Lowe's)
1" trailer spindle rated for 1000lbs (Spindle)
Spindle Bearing Kit (Spindle Bearing )
De Sta Co 2000lb Latch (Latch
2"x3/16" wall square stock for carrier frame

That's as far as I got today with the materials list. I got most of the cutting and drilling done... here are the pics..

First, I cut the pivot tube from the 2 1/2" DOM tube.. 4 1/4" long. Then I cut an inner bearing separator from 2" OD pipe and rosette welded it in 4 places to hole it in place..

You can see the tube in the center with the sleeve in it. The rest of the stuff is the bearing kit and of course.. the 1" spindle.

Rosette welded sleeve

Sleeve with races in it

Assembled Swingout Pivot

Bumper Blank with 1 1/4" hole cut (top and bottom) for spindle... I'm tippy toeing to take the picture.. :D

Pivot test fitted to bumper.. I did this before making any other cuts on the bumper so that if I ruined it, it would be before I went through the trouble of making all the other cuts.

Drilling the 7" long 2 1/2"x1/4" wall square receiver tube for the pin.. I use a long 1/4" bit to go all the way thru both sides of the tube. That way the holes line up...

I then follow up with a 11/16" bit.

EDIT: Instead of making your own receiver tube, it's probably just as cheap and definately easier to buy one from a trailer supply store... Northern sells 6" long weld-in receiver tubes for about $11

See less See more
#177 ·
yeep said:
besrk,
what do you think of this latch? lots less money than de sta co. plus it rated at 2000 #'s
pete

http://www.grainger.com

grainger item # 5e668 for 2000#, or 5e658 for 700 #

i could'nt get the direct links to work
Those are just like the De Sta Co.. however, I didn't see one with the safety latch. I like the De Sta Co latch with the little safety catch that keeps it from opening.. that Carr Lane is a nice latch though..

#178 ·
yea, after looking more closely, i like the safety latch better. i think i'll go de sta co. i wish one of my suppliers sold it. save me some green.
pete

#184 ·
Matrix37495 said:
hey bserk! are you making the bumpers again yet? i need a new rear bumper and id love to help out a fellow jeeper while in building mine.
Actually, I'm caught up in a buggy build at the moment. I should be finished in September and then I'll probably do a few bumpers over the Winter.

#188 ·
Can't see the link.

#190 ·
Beserk... I know you hear this alot, but when you start making bumpers again, I'd love to get a rear bumper and tire carrier from you.

I have a 2002 TJ. I have a Warn RockCrawler front bumper, and was looking to get the same with tire carrier for the rear, but not anymore. I want yours.

#191 ·
Thank you for the compliment. I've been busy building cages, doing link suspensions and more recently, building my buggy. I've got a few more things to knock out and then I might tinker with a few bumpers over the winter. I just bought a new lathe so I'd like to play with a new pivot setup that's pretty much bulletproof. The one I've been using was rated at 1000lbs. I'd like to at least be able to use the 1750lb spindles or maybe even something a little stronger. If I get something done thru the Fall.. I'll shoot ya a PM and see if you're still interested.. if not, no biggie.. they go like hot cakes on eBay.. :D

#197 ·
Thanks.. my front bumpers are pretty basic with the occasional stinger or 2" receiver here and there.. One thing I try and do on CJs is capture the side bolt holes for mounting a front bumper..

Did one for a buddy's XJ last a while back too... it was a PITA to piece it all together.. winch plate is just sitting on the bumper that's why it looks crooked..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.