Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier Follow Along - Page 74 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier Follow Along

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 10-22-2010, 10:35 PM   #1096
bluerubicon08
2008 JK Wrangler 

That's pretty awesome! I can see where it would be labor intensive. I need to learn how to weld. I have all these ideas running though my head that I really should do something with.

bluerubicon08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2010, 07:24 AM   #1097
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerubicon08 View Post
That's pretty awesome! I can see where it would be labor intensive. I need to learn how to weld. I have all these ideas running though my head that I really should do something with.
It's really not that difficult to learn. Might check around at the local community college and see if they offer any welding classes. Or.. hang out with a buddy who knows how to weld and have him/her give you some pointers.

I started welding when I was in my late teens. I saved pennies and bought an AC/DC stick welder from Montgomery Ward. Read the owners manual and started burning rods. That was almost 30 years ago. Like anything else, the more you do it, the better you get. Of all the "hobby skills" I've acquired over the years, nothing has saved/made me more money than welding. It is an invaluable skill to possess as an offroader.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2010, 01:32 AM   #1098
bluerubicon08
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks Eddie, I think I will put this on my short list, you know, the list of things to do this year. Next time you come up this way to wheel, you know, Shoe Creek, GWNF, etc, let me know. I wouldn't miind wheelin' with you, you seem like good people.
bluerubicon08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2010, 07:09 AM   #1099
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerubicon08 View Post
Thanks Eddie, I think I will put this on my short list, you know, the list of things to do this year. Next time you come up this way to wheel, you know, Shoe Creek, GWNF, etc, let me know. I wouldn't miind wheelin' with you, you seem like good people.
Thanks for the invite!! The club I belong to (Middle Penn Jeep Assoc Inc MPJAI) makes runs to Shoe Creek quite often. Been a member of the club for about 6-7 years now and have never been to Shoe Creek

I'll have to get out of the shop one day and make one of those runs.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 10-26-2010, 12:53 AM   #1100
GREASEMONKEY
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
Thanks for the invite!! The club I belong to (Middle Penn Jeep Assoc Inc MPJAI) makes runs to Shoe Creek quite often. Been a member of the club for about 6-7 years now and have never been to Shoe Creek

I'll have to get out of the shop one day and make one of those runs.
While your at it...
GULCHESORVPARK.com
Your close enough to SC to hit it up for a weekend trip. Be sure you give a shout if ever get this far south.

BTW:
Got the a-z mounting kit & hinge prepped & ready to start welding. i can't find my bearclaw latch, so I ordered a destaco 344. Headed to pick up some steel tomorrow morning, but still unsure of what I want to use, 3/16" or 1/4"? I may be going with 3/16" on account of weight, and the unlikely event that it's gonna take that hard of a hit with my driving style. I'm slow, steady, and methodical.
My Ammo Can Console
------------------------------------------------------
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
GREASEMONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2010, 04:39 AM   #1101
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

3/16" will take a pretty good licking.. Even my belly skid is 3/16.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 10-26-2010, 04:55 PM   #1102
ladrhog
1985 CJ7 

besrk, do you sell the spindle assembly I didn't see it on your ebay site?
ladrhog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2010, 05:59 PM   #1103
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladrhog View Post
besrk, do you sell the spindle assembly I didn't see it on your ebay site?

Naw.. I kind of stopped selling those since I do them manually on the lathe. It's been all I can do to keep up with making them for my bumpers so I stopped selling them for the time being.

Zach (AtoZ Fab) sells the Megaspindle. My understanding is that they've been holding up very well.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 10-29-2010, 02:59 PM   #1104
IrishCJ6
1975 CJ6 

Can anyone tell me where you get the heavy duty latches from for securing the tire carrier, and roughly what sort of cost they are
IrishCJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2010, 06:59 PM   #1105
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishCJ6 View Post
Can anyone tell me where you get the heavy duty latches from for securing the tire carrier, and roughly what sort of cost they are
They are a De Sta Co 341-R Latch (2000lb) with the "Toggle Plus" trigger. I get them from McMaster-Carr Part #5071A62

Cost $44 ea plus shipping.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 10-30-2010, 06:35 PM   #1106
epeck87
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i installed my bumper and tire carrier today and i love it. it is definately a rigid piece of work.
Unread 10-30-2010, 06:48 PM   #1107
04_Sahara_Man
2004 TJ Wrangler 

this overkill? Spindle 2.25" RD x 6" STUB Redline Trailer Spindles R50642
In Pennsylvania, fun is illegal
Xbox live GT - TheExecutive00
Tama, Paiste, DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth....yes I go boom boom!
04_Sahara_Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2010, 08:54 PM   #1108
GREASEMONKEY
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04_Sahara_Man View Post
WOW! That's huge. The base is 2.25" thick, not to mention your bearing housing will end up being 3-3.5".
What measurement steel are you planning on using for the bumper? Most people are going with 2"x4", but you would have to go 3" to fit that spindle stub.
My Ammo Can Console
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
Unread 10-30-2010, 09:09 PM   #1109
04_Sahara_Man
2004 TJ Wrangler 

i was just wondering...the one eddie showed look good...
In Pennsylvania, fun is illegal
Xbox live GT - TheExecutive00
Tama, Paiste, DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth....yes I go boom boom!
04_Sahara_Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2010, 11:49 PM   #1110
GREASEMONKEY
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
It's really not that difficult to learn. Might check around at the local community college and see if they offer any welding classes. Or.. hang out with a buddy who knows how to weld and have him/her give you some pointers.

I started welding when I was in my late teens. I saved pennies and bought an AC/DC stick welder from Montgomery Ward. Read the owners manual and started burning rods. That was almost 30 years ago. Like anything else, the more you do it, the better you get. Of all the "hobby skills" I've acquired over the years, nothing has saved/made me more money than welding. It is an invaluable skill to possess as an offroader.
Is it just me, or have you ever noticed that most days you pick up the leads, and go right to it, and other days you can't lay out a good bead to save your life?
I zapped together a stand for my shop vise today, and just couldn't get a decent bead going. I ran out for parts, and finished up a customers car, then back to the welder. It was 30-45min later, but I had no issue with the rest of the welds.

Back on topic!...............
I got the de sta co 344. It's the 90* version of the latch you use. I assembled it today just looking it over, and wow is that thing beefy.
I know you probably got a pic somewhere, but there are to many to cruise through. Do you weld your latches in place, or bolt them?
I know I'm gonna weld the latch bracket, but not sure of what I wanna do with the latch itself.
My Ammo Can Console

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.