Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier Follow Along - Page 55 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier Follow Along

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORClayton Off Road XJ Long Arm Suspension Systems!

Unread 11-12-2009, 03:12 PM   #811
Tradesman300
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Next we have a mockup with the spindle installed.

Then we have the handle I made for the latch system. I am using a TJ tailgate latch to hold the carrier closed, this requires a bit of modification to the unit.

In the third and 4th pics you can see the crossmember for the carrier welded on. Also on the last pic if you look in front of the bumper you can see the latch assembly all tacked together and ready to be installed to the x-member.

img_0559.jpg   img_0562.jpg   img_0563.jpg   img_0564.jpg   img_0565.jpg  

Unread 11-12-2009, 03:15 PM   #812
Tradesman300
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Here is where I have a question. I welded the crossmember onto the spindle. I took extra care to make sure I had it on there all kinds of straight. That being said, when I reinstalled after cooling the 1.5" gap I was going for is 1.5 at the spindle, but only 1.25 at the far end, does this tube really bow that much over such a short distance? When I add triangulation will that restore the 1.5" gap all the way down? I hope so.

Also, should I tack weld the latch to the bottom of the crossmember, or should I find some way to bolt i on there?
Unread 11-12-2009, 03:44 PM   #813
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

It's not uncommon for the arm to warp during welding. It's going to change again when you do the "A" Frame parts.

I normally weld the entire "A" Frame and swingarm together prior to welding it to the spindle tube. I then drop the spindle/tube into its hole and mock the arm up to it. I tack the arm in several places and weld along the top edge. After that cools, I reach inside the open bumper end, and tack the spindle into place on the inside of the bumper. I then remove the swingarm assembly and finish welding the spindle into place in the bumper. I then weld the rest of the pivot tube/swingarm joint.

I've been doing that routine for a few years and normally wind up with a tolerance of about 1/8" (up/down) at the latch end of the swingarm.. in relation to the bumper. I then use a 3/16" or 1/4" tongue under the latch end of the bumper.. depending on the gap.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2009, 03:58 PM   #814
Tradesman300
2002 TJ Wrangler 

That makes sense. I should have done it that was from the beginning. I guess for me I didn't have all the dimensions known beforehand, so I have been making one piece at a time. Some forethought would have saved me a bit of a headache in this.

I think that if I get it clamped in place really well before attaching the A frame portion, I might be able to get back at least a small portion of my 1/4" lost.
Unread 11-12-2009, 11:05 PM   #815
poppatello
1984 CJ7 

What size D rings do I need? I can only find 1/2" in stores and that is way to small. I'm thinking 1"... Also, I need to post pictures of this wonderful rear bumper tire carrier combo. Well worth every penny and wait. I have one finishing touch before I post up... Thanks Eddie!

Paved Roads
A Fine Example of Needless Government Spending
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker View Post

Sometimes it a good idea to pull a vacuum hose before the wife rides in it--you can tell her you need a new ____ and once you get your new ____ you can reconnect the hose. :)

84 Cj 7 w/ 4-Banger, 4.5" BDS lift, 1/2 Trans Drop, Twin Stick, 32" Tire, Front Aussie Locker, No Sound System Yet, No Armor, Warn 8274 Not Installed, Webber Carb Upgrade, Luckycheese Ing. Upgrade...
poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2009, 08:22 AM   #816
Tradesman300
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppatello View Post
What size D rings do I need? I can only find 1/2" in stores and that is way to small. I'm thinking 1"... Also, I need to post pictures of this wonderful rear bumper tire carrier combo. Well worth every penny and wait. I have one finishing touch before I post up... Thanks Eddie!

You can find a good set a a number of retailers online. AtoZ fabrication has them, and offers a 10% discount to all JF members. I have always had good luck with Northridge4x4 too, good prices great customer service.
Unread 11-13-2009, 05:28 PM   #817
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

It's a 3/4" Shackle with a 7/8" diameter screw pin. Make sure it's stamped with the "Safe Working Load" (SWL) or "Working Load Limit" (WLL). Northern has 3/4" shackles with a 6.5ton rating for about $13-$14 or so..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 11-13-2009, 05:30 PM   #818
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradesman300 View Post

I think that if I get it clamped in place really well before attaching the A frame portion, I might be able to get back at least a small portion of my 1/4" lost.
Normally, welding the "A" frame in place, will pull up on both ends a bit as the welds cool. If you're trying to raise the latch end 1/4", I'd just leave the arm free and weld the "A" frame tubes in place.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 11-16-2009, 08:29 AM   #819
Tradesman300
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
Normally, welding the "A" frame in place, will pull up on both ends a bit as the welds cool. If you're trying to raise the latch end 1/4", I'd just leave the arm free and weld the "A" frame tubes in place.
This is what I ended up doing this weekend, I only gained about 1/8" back, but it was enough.

And I officially do not recommend trying to use a tailgate latch. It works great once you get it, but there is very very little tolerance. I had to have it within less than 1/16" off center left and right. And for me, that is a tight tolerance to have to be within. I am in the 1/8" crowd. So I had to tack and re-tack the latch on about 5 times to get it close enough.

I think my main problem is I do not know the methodologies needed to make the proper measurements for things like that.

Length, height, width, stuff like that is easy, but with a carpenters square it is pretty tough to measure out relative centers on two different pieces one hanging an inch or so above in air. Eyeballing is only so good. Once you get down to a certain precision it becomes pretty hard to just guess and tack.
Unread 11-16-2009, 10:50 AM   #820
97TJGUZZY
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradesman300 View Post
This is what I ended up doing this weekend, I only gained about 1/8" back, but it was enough.

And I officially do not recommend trying to use a tailgate latch. It works great once you get it, but there is very very little tolerance. I had to have it within less than 1/16" off center left and right. And for me, that is a tight tolerance to have to be within. I am in the 1/8" crowd. So I had to tack and re-tack the latch on about 5 times to get it close enough.

I think my main problem is I do not know the methodologies needed to make the proper measurements for things like that.

Length, height, width, stuff like that is easy, but with a carpenters square it is pretty tough to measure out relative centers on two different pieces one hanging an inch or so above in air. Eyeballing is only so good. Once you get down to a certain precision it becomes pretty hard to just guess and tack.
how do you like the latch, once you got it working?
Unread 11-16-2009, 11:08 AM   #821
Tradesman300
2002 TJ Wrangler 

It is really slick. It clicks right into place. It was just a bit of a headache to get in there. I am going to add a rubber bumper to the tub and a poly space between the bumper and swingarm to help absorb a lot of the vibrations and whatnot. That way it has a positive latch more like the tailgate.
Unread 11-17-2009, 01:36 PM   #822
Tradesman300
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Does anyone know the thread of the rear lower bolts that the stock bumper uses on the bottom of the frame? I need to go get some grade 8 bolts, and I need to know the thread pattern first beforehand.
Unread 11-24-2009, 03:49 PM   #823
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I think I'm definitely going to be stealing some of this for mine. Have most people been replacing the rear crossmember or what?
WTS: 4.2 parts. Fuel lines, pump, block, head, accessories, just ask
green89yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2009, 07:58 PM   #824
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I bought mine from BESRK, and it Mounts to the rear crossmember. If you want to replace it, I would drill all of the holes for the bumper in it, and weld the nuts to the rear crossmember to make it easier to mount. Good luck with your project.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2009, 09:19 PM   #825
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks. I've just been lurkin around takin notes. Hopefully it works.
WTS: 4.2 parts. Fuel lines, pump, block, head, accessories, just ask
green89yj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.