Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier Follow Along - Page 54 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier Follow Along

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsECGS Labor Day Sale!!New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 10-26-2009, 06:07 AM   #796
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Thanks guys..
Yes, that's Mig.. basically a pull, push motion.. backstepping about 3" at a time. Basically, I start about 3" from the right edge, lay the bead to the edge from left to right, move down about 3" and repeat.. letting the new weld finish about 1/2" into the previous weld. I took a pic of this weld since it came out pretty good.

I did do one with a stinger last week. I'm waiting for some pics from the customer.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2009, 03:13 PM   #797
Tradesman300
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post

Do you mind sharing what size OD/ID you used on the tubing for this, also what length and material of spring did you use? I want to do a similar setup for the bumper I am creating. I know I will have to buy a whole 2' chuck of 3/8 round bar and probably (guessing here) 1/2" OD DOM. But it is worth it to me to take the extra time to fab it up right the first time.
Unread 10-28-2009, 05:56 PM   #798
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradesman300 View Post
Do you mind sharing what size OD/ID you used on the tubing for this, also what length and material of spring did you use? I want to do a similar setup for the bumper I am creating. I know I will have to buy a whole 2' chuck of 3/8 round bar and probably (guessing here) 1/2" OD DOM. But it is worth it to me to take the extra time to fab it up right the first time.
Actually, I use a 4" long 1/2" diameter "Bent Hitch Pin". It fits in 3/4"x.120" wall DOM tubing. The spring is 2" long (uncompressed) .045" diameter wire (stainless steel). I think it compresses to 1/2" before bottoming out. I forget the size of the little roll pin that retains the spring (I just hit "reorder" and get 100 at a time).

If you're interested, I've got the Hitch Pin, Tube, Spring, Roll Pin, Positive Stop "Blocks" and the 4.5"x.250" thick Washer for say.. $20 plus shipping.. $4.95 in a Flat Rate Box. It saves the headache of tracking all the stuff down. The tube would be cut/shaped to the required shape to allow the pin to lock in the raised position. That would save you from possibly shipping from various sources (I get all that stuff from 4 different sources) Shoot me a PM if interested.

BTW.. that pic is the first one I ever did. I now make them with much less of the pin sticking out the bottom. With that much pin sticking out (in the pic), they were prone to easy bending.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 10-28-2009, 10:35 PM   #799
Tradesman300
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have another question. I was able to scrab a rear latch and strike pin from a tj at a local junk yard. Has anyone ever used a similar setup before?

I plan on threading the strike pin into the bumper and then bolting the latch onto the bottom of the swingout tire carrier.
Unread 10-29-2009, 04:53 PM   #800
APEDZ04LJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

hey besrk just shot you a pm, i forgot to include in my pm that i want the hilift jack mount on the tire carrier to so please add that to your final price
APEDZ04LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2009, 08:54 PM   #801
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

So BESRK... I got the Jeep back from my bodyshop. They painted the rear crossmember a textered black to match the Hammered some. It looks GREAT. I will post some pics when I remember to charge my camera. (I even got it muddy by playing in the puddles already).
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2009, 09:18 AM   #802
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Cool beans! Yeah.. definately post some pics if you will.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 10-30-2009, 06:23 PM   #803
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I will try to get some up tomorrow. The trailer is still connected to it right now (I will take a pic of that too) but it is too dark right now. The only problem I had was that the hole for the receiver is to close to the body. Nothing you could do about it due to the recessed receiver. I just drilled an extra hole in the thing that the ball mounts to (that is also called the reciever too right???). Other than that, ever thing looks great, and it is nice to tow with than my old smittybuilt bumper. The hitch doesn't bang around

BTW, I think I may have another customer coming your way soon. He did a 1" bl, and hates the way the stock bumper looks next to the gap. Plus, his receiver (aftermarket below the bumper style) sits extremely low.

Sorry it is taking so long for the pics I promised (well, I actually am supposed to get the Jeep back tomorrow, but I got it back early). Keep up the amazing work, you need quality stuff for when it's time for my new front bumper (not sure how long that will be).
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Unread 10-30-2009, 07:28 PM   #804
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Yeah.. one of the risks of doing a recessed receiver, is that you may have to trim or redrill your receiver accessories since the hitch pin hole is now up close to the crossmember.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 10-30-2009, 09:12 PM   #805
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

it's all good, I have a nice big drill press (taller and older than my dad and I) that cuts through 1/4" steel like butter. I post a pick of the receiver too. My only problem with the whole is that it is 1/2" right now. It was the biggest bit I could find, but I do have a 1/2"/5/8" adaptable pin that I am using right now. Surprisingly, there is no play even though the receiver on the bumper is 5/8".
Unread 10-31-2009, 10:30 AM   #806
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

So here are the pics I promised. I only have pics with the trailer attatched because I was way too lazy to pull it off.
The Bumper

and

The receiver and safety chains with hitch pin (yeah, it is only 1/2" I will use the 5/8" once I can drill it out)

The trailer and Jeep. The Jeep is the perfect height for that trailer, one I get bigger tires (one day) I think I may do a SOA upgrade.

As for the trailer, we paid $28 total to get it on the road, $11 for some bolts to redo the bed, and $17 for registration. It may not be pretty, but it was cheap and paid for itself the first time we used.
Another note, I DID NOT tow with it yet. I only moved it down the road and back. I hope to have the pin drilled to 5/8" before I do need to tow though.
Unread 11-02-2009, 08:45 PM   #807
cubewhiz
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Wow.

PM sent.
--------
My new Jeep: 95 ZJ with 4.0L I6 (auto trans)
cubewhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 09:44 PM   #808
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ok... one last update from a happy customer. I have towed with the bumper around town a total of about 35-50 miles today (went to the town garage 3 times today to drop off leaves) and we hit up sears while we were out (rake replacement). Towing with it is really great. There is no bouncing, or any extra movement that I had with my smittybuilt. I really like towing with the Jeep so much more than my dad's truck. It gets up to speed a little better, and stops it a little better. It even turns better. Once again BESRK, you have a life long word of mouth advertiser here in NY
Unread 11-12-2009, 02:57 PM   #809
Tradesman300
2002 TJ Wrangler 

So I started my bumper a week and a half ago, I can't work on it very much because of family and work, but I am plodding away.

Materials used:

4"x4"x 5/16" square tube (free scrap)
2"x2"x 3/16" square tube (free scrap)
A to Z Mounting tabs, hitch blank, and spindle
Ground Pounder hard stop and arm lock assembly

In the first pic you can see how I took the 4x4x5/16ths box and cut and angle out, and then used C-clamps to bend it in and weld together.

On the second picture you can really see how much the side of the bumper that was release from the structure wants to return to its original form. Structural issues like this really intrigue me.

The next few pics show the first time mocking it up to the jeep.

My welds are not pretty, I make sure and get proper penetration, however, even if it means I have to do several passes to make sure I get it right.
img_0373.jpg   img_0440.jpg   img_0453.jpg   img_0454.jpg   img_0456.jpg  

Unread 11-12-2009, 03:08 PM   #810
Tradesman300
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Here you can see how much welding smoke I have hanging around in the garage, time to air it out, and weld earlier in the evening so I don't have to do it with the door closed.

Also you can see in the next 2 the hitch welded in and the mounting plates welded on.

Then you can see the Tabs getting welding on for the D-Rings. I really burned these in hot so I got deep penetration. The thick metal has the advantage of not running too much a risk of me burning a hole through.
img_0484.jpg   img_0476.jpg   img_0483.jpg   img_0545.jpg   img_0547.jpg  

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.