Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier Follow Along - Page 51 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier Follow Along

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 08-16-2009, 12:50 PM   #751
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firekite View Post
I thought that the big black louvered square thing on the tailgate was vent, since moisture entering the tailgate was inevitable a;eady.
I was just tryin' to help you out with the holes and water/rust/dirt issues inside that tailgate. Besides, the black plastic holes plugs would probably cost you around $2 to $3 total and clean up the look a bit. As for the wires, it would leave one black wire loom showing versus a bunch of loose wires.

It's your Jeep - you'll do as you wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
The thread will derail quicker than a walrus on a Crisco-soaked Slip 'n' Slide.
CopperCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2009, 03:38 PM   #752
TEXAIR
2005 LJ Wrangler 

That louver is what equalizes the pressure inside the vehicle to help keep fumes out when the top is on.

Some of the older models had them on the hard top right behind the side glass. The later model TJ's went ot the vent on the gate.
'05 TJ Unlimited. Black, 4" Superlift. Warn M-8000, Homemade Disconnects, Homemade In-Cab Winch Controller, Homemade S-Pod, DIY Rokmen Front Bumper, Homemade Rear Rock Crawler Bumper, 32" x 11.5" BFG MT's, Lockrite on the front D-30, Onboard Air
TEXAIR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2009, 04:10 PM   #753
Deacon
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Cool.

Yes, the wires are going to get put through some conduit. That's going to wait until the tank gets dropped when we install the Savvy gas tank skid. The plugs I'll see about getting around to
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2009, 09:28 PM   #754
james04si

1977 CJ5 

I just got done installing the front and rear bumpers from Besrk. Thought I would share a couple pictures.

james04si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2009, 07:18 PM   #755
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Wow! That's a really nice CJ5! I'm really digging the color!

Thanks again!!

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2009, 12:12 AM   #756
jeepmaster03
1982 CJ7 

OK so I've been keeping up with this thread a little and I really like the craftsmanship of your rear bumper system. There are 26 pages and I'm sure some where in there you've listed a price, but I'm going to ask the question here. How much, and how long is the line?
jeepmaster03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2009, 06:08 AM   #757
poppatello
1984 CJ7 

The price depends on what you want. Some want just the bumper, some want the combo, and some want some extra fab like Firekite. I am sure he will try to do whatever you ask if it’s within the scope of work as far as mounting. You should send him a PM. Now as for the line, it is definitely worth the wait. I just got mine this past week and sent it to Power Coating. I was proud of the product and was glad I waited. I am very impatient too! However, I wanted something that would look good, last, and was HD. I think the way it is fabbed, and mounted to the jeep, if it comes off the frame is going with it! Good luck and I will post up pictures just as soon as I get it back!

Paved Roads
A Fine Example of Needless Government Spending
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker View Post

Sometimes it a good idea to pull a vacuum hose before the wife rides in it--you can tell her you need a new ____ and once you get your new ____ you can reconnect the hose. :)

84 Cj 7 w/ 4-Banger, 4.5" BDS lift, 1/2 Trans Drop, Twin Stick, 32" Tire, Front Aussie Locker, No Sound System Yet, No Armor, Warn 8274 Not Installed, Webber Carb Upgrade, Luckycheese Ing. Upgrade...
poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2009, 08:09 AM   #758
jbwest17
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I wanna give Eddie another 2 thumbs up. I picked my bumper up locally from him a few weeks ago. The quality is top notch, and he was extremely easy to work with. I changed my pick up time/date at least 3 times and he was more thank happy to accomodate me and my terrible work schedule. Thanks again Eddie. I'll get some pictures up here soon.
jbwest17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2009, 01:01 AM   #759
Aero32
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Besrk, Was watching your youtube videos and it reminded me..so I shot you a PM
Aero32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2009, 12:45 PM   #760
wanabejeeper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Please dont flame me for asking a silly question but... Have you considered aluminum for a bumper. I dont have any idea how it would hold up I was asking only from a weight aspect and I know lb for lb al is stronger. I was curious mostly if it would work and be durable.
wanabejeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2009, 04:05 PM   #761
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Strength of rear cross member

Hey Besrk,

Been a while since I've posted here. The bumper that I fabed up from mostly your design is doing fine but I have a question about how to strengthen up the rear cross member. I recently tried to use a hitch mount dirt bike carrier on my bumper. After putting the dirt bike up on the carrier I decided to jump up and down on the carrier a little bit. Boy, I found out that this ***** is not strong enough to use a carrier on. The bumper mount looks plenty strong but the rear cross member is not going to cut it. What do you think?

PS - I do have corner braces on it but it seems as though the gauge metal used for the cross member just isn't good.
Unread 10-02-2009, 07:54 PM   #762
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Might look into those rear crossmembers laser cut out of 3/16" from that guy over on the Scrambler forum. CV REAR CROSSMEMBER. One of those crossmembers and the frame tie-ins should be pretty strong. The other option is to use something like 2"x4" welded between the frame rails in place of the stock crossmember.

wanabejeeper, good question. While aluminum is strong and lightweight, it's kind of expensive and I suspect it would get chewed up pretty quick on the trail. The 3/16" wall steel shrugs off almost anything you can throw at it within the realm of reason. Plus, it's cheap and easy to work with. Also, there are certain parts that simple need to be made of steel (like the pivot spindle). Combining aluminum and steel parts together would increase the complexity of the construction.. basically it boils down to "bang for the buck"... you'll get more with steel I think.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 10-02-2009, 08:02 PM   #763
Deacon
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Cut it out and make your own crossmember, then.
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2009, 11:39 PM   #764
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ok... so I asked you before about getting a bumper Eddie. Well... I got the smittybuilt classic rock crawler bumper w/o the tire carrier. Held up pretty well after getting hit, but I got rearended last week, and I now need a new bumper.

I was wonder the price for the plain bumper with the recessed hitch, clevises, but no d-rings, and the tire carrier without the d-rings, but will clevises, and no swing latch (I want to add one of those gate pistons so that it opens with the rear gate).

I love your work, and really wish I went that route the first time around. Maybe the insurance money will be enough to make the switch. The other custom question I have is about the rear crossmember that connects the two frame rails. Because the hit jacked the bumper up and in, it bent that crossmember, and I was wondering if the bumper could be built without the need for that pience, or if a section of steel to fit could be sent with it. Prices shipped to 12550 please. Once again, thanks Eddie, it is nice to see such great work, and Think Local First (local chamber of commerce commercial on my radio station)
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2009, 06:29 AM   #765
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckrider View Post
Ok... so I asked you before about getting a bumper Eddie. Well... I got the smittybuilt classic rock crawler bumper w/o the tire carrier. Held up pretty well after getting hit, but I got rearended last week, and I now need a new bumper.

I was wonder the price for the plain bumper with the recessed hitch, clevises, but no d-rings, and the tire carrier without the d-rings, but will clevises, and no swing latch (I want to add one of those gate pistons so that it opens with the rear gate).

I love your work, and really wish I went that route the first time around. Maybe the insurance money will be enough to make the switch. The other custom question I have is about the rear crossmember that connects the two frame rails. Because the hit jacked the bumper up and in, it bent that crossmember, and I was wondering if the bumper could be built without the need for that pience, or if a section of steel to fit could be sent with it. Prices shipped to 12550 please. Once again, thanks Eddie, it is nice to see such great work, and Think Local First (local chamber of commerce commercial on my radio station)
Sorry to hear about the accident. I just shot you a PM.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.