Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier Follow Along - Page 42 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier Follow Along

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 03-27-2009, 03:51 PM   #616
rinking
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Coiz, I was hoping somebody would hook Me up! I have a couple pictures of the front in progress, but I was gettin pretty burned out by the time I got to the back bumper so I didn't take any pictures! Yes,My receiver pins from the top. I was in such a hurry to paint, that I forgot to add the chain hooks. The carrier rests on some dense rubber on the bottem and the back! It's pretty solid. I haven't gotten a spare yet, but soon! The license plate hold down really works sweet. Alot of sleepless nights designing in bed!!

rinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2009, 12:27 PM   #617
100kwj
2002 WJ 

You guys think 2.5"x3/16" flat bar, bent at 90 with a gusset welded on is strong enough to mount these tire carrier bumpers? It is quite difficult to find someone who can bend 5/16 around here.

I am mounting it to a JK where the bumper mounts are in the side of the frame rails. I plan on tying into the cross member too, but the main load will be on the straps bolted into the side of the frame, and I just want to make sure 3/16 will be thick enough.

Oh and one heck of a job besrk. Thanks for the write up.

Last edited by 100kwj; 03-28-2009 at 08:09 PM..
100kwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2009, 01:28 PM   #618
Dmax5er
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100kwj View Post
You guys think 2.5"x3/16" flat bar, bent at 90 with a gusset welded on is strong enough to mount these tire carrier bumpers? It is quite difficult to find someone who can bend 5/16 around here.

I am mounting it to a JK where the bumper mounts are in the side of the frame rails. I plan on tying into the cross member too, but the main load will be on the straps bolted into the side of the frame, and I just want to make sure 3/16 will be thick enough.

Oh and one heck of a job berserk. Thanks for the write up.
You should be fine, its a lot bigger than any factory brackets on the JK, but when in doubt over kill.
Dmax5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2009, 02:24 AM   #619
rficken42
1998 TJ Wrangler 

how much does just the bumper cost?
is the any advantage to having the tow points and the trailer hitch or is it alright to just have the trailer hitch? i dont do alot of hard wheeling but i do want to pull a light trailer for camp gear and a light alum boat.
Unread 03-31-2009, 08:13 AM   #620
RichardD
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, there is an advantage. You never know when you might get stuck, even if you're just going wheeling to go camping and stronger to have recovery points near the frame rails even though you can do it from the hitch. Plus it gives you more recovery options.

Couple weeks ago, wheeling the TJ X on what's usually an easy trail, but had become very muddy due to rain/sleet, we slid off down an off camber hill and got very hung up. It still has the factory bumper and hook on the drivers side. We tried to pull from the hook, but it was making the Jeep slide even closer to the nearby tree. We needed to pull from the passenger side to keep the Jeep off the tree, so we wrapped it around the bumper and mount on the right. I don't think due to the angle involved that the middle would've worked well either. As even though we were pulling it up, and I was helping by driving it backwards, the front end still wanted to slide further downhill into the tree. No damage other than a slightly bent bumper, which is way better than a bent or ripped off front fender .

Just my two cents.....

On a side note: We do plan on getting another bumper from BESRK for the TJ X , if I can ever figure out which configuration to go with, .

Be well,
Richard

Live each day as if it were your last, 'cause you just never know.....

Last edited by RichardD; 03-31-2009 at 08:51 AM.. Reason: Addition
RichardD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2009, 12:24 PM   #621
flashooter

OK I didnt read the entire post but approximately how many feet of 2inch square tubing are you guys using for the swingout? I am trying to figure costs/ Thanks
flashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2009, 12:51 PM   #622
100kwj
2002 WJ 

Just shy of 10 feet on the 2x2.

Edited to add my measurement was for a JK, which was 62.5" wide, so my swing arm is wider.

Last edited by 100kwj; 04-02-2009 at 04:50 AM.. Reason: clarification on length
100kwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2009, 06:29 PM   #623
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I use 2"x3" for my main swing arm. However, if I were doing it all out of 2"x2" (which I used to do), I'd use....

Main Arm.. 41"
Center Upright... 17" (I use 16" on the taller 2x3 arm)
Diagonal Pieces of A Frame.. 21" each (2 of them)

So.. about 100" or so.. fudge a bit since you're spindle and latch setup may vary a bit.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2009, 06:33 PM   #624
flashooter

Thanks man! Hopefully I will get to welding this weekend.
Unread 04-02-2009, 09:33 PM   #625
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
Small 3/16" piece to catch the bolt hole in the bottom of the frame

I'm quoting a really old picture here so bare with me. Is that small strap on the bottom enough tie in to the frame to pull a small trailer? I've looked at other bumpers that had that and I didn't think that you did that on yours because you also sell a frame tie in. Is that standard on all the bumpers you make now?

Since I can't see the strap very well, is that strap basically the same as the one I see on this bumper?
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2009, 06:10 AM   #626
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I'm at work right now so I can't see the pic you posted. I do include that lower strap on my YJ/TJ/LJ bumpers.. and can do the frame tie in kit with it too.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 04-03-2009, 10:14 PM   #627
YJSONLY
1992 YJ Wrangler 

What size bolt goes in the from threw the lower strap???? By the way I love the bumper i need to get off my tail and take some pics....

Last edited by YJSONLY; 04-03-2009 at 11:06 PM..
YJSONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2009, 11:01 PM   #628
metomwhou
2004 LJ Wrangler 

WOW, 42 pages of rear bumper madness!! I haven't taken possession of my LJ yet but already know what I want to do first.

Quick question for you Bserk(Eddie, if I may be so bold). Have you shipped overseas to an APO address yet? Since I'm stationed in Germany, we can only use USPS which I'm sure will be pretty expensive for the completed assemblies. Another option would be to ship the bumper whole, and the carrier in pieces and I could find a welder locally to put it together. What are your thoughts on that?
Thanks,
Tom
metomwhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2009, 06:37 AM   #629
flashooter

Has anybody tried using an automotive door striker style latch? I saw one in quadratec but I dont remember the brand name. Any DIY incorporate this into your design?
Unread 04-04-2009, 08:01 AM   #630
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

It's a metric bolt that goes up thru the bottom of the frame.. I forget of the top of my head what size though.. think it was a 10x1.5 but I'm not positive.

Someone here in the Fabrication Forum used a striker for the latch setup a couple months back.. might want sift thru the bumper threads to see..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.