irnman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #407 of 2230 Old 08-06-2008, 06:38 PM
Sol_Invictus
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
I thank you for the kind words Yeah.. pics would be great for my scrap book!

I saw those other pics you posted of just the rear bumper without the tire carrier. Looks really good.. what did you coat it with?

Hey thanks! It turned out better than I thought it would. Just some self etch primer and three coats duplicolor truck bed liner from a rattle can. I've been thinking of topcoating it with some POR15. If I recall, I thought that's what you said you used to coat yours. If you use it, how well does up hold up to abuse and UV? My jeep won't fit in my garage and I don't want a gray bumper with the rest of the trim black! Thanks again, great thread!
post #408 of 2230 Old 08-06-2008, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

POR 15 likes "bare steel".. it doesn't adhere well to paint. Probably wouldn't adhere very well at all to the bed liner since that coating is kind of "rubbery".

If you shoot/brush on a couple coats of POR 15 and then follow that with a couple coats of the POR 15 Chassis Black, it'll last for years. Really durable paint.

Thanks irnman! Made in the USA and proud of it!

'80 CJ5 w/AMC360, T176, D44 w/Detroit 4.56, RE 4" YJ lift and 35s..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #409 of 2230 Old 08-11-2008, 11:40 PM
K4KAS
1994 YJ Wrangler 

A few pics of my BESRK inspired bumper! I have a question/problem,(94YJ) I incorperated lower frame tie in tabs. I have a 4.5 RE ED lift, I am having a problem with my shackles hitting the lower tabs I fabbed up using AtoZ's tabs.
I have RE shackles but haven't gotten around to putting them on, still using the stockers. Has anyone had a problem with this? I think its because the RE springs are a bit longer than most springs. Surely longer than stock springs.

post #410 of 2230 Old 08-12-2008, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4KAS View Post
A few pics of my BESRK inspired bumper! I have a question/problem,(94YJ) I incorperated lower frame tie in tabs. I have a 4.5 RE ED lift, I am having a problem with my shackles hitting the lower tabs I fabbed up using AtoZ's tabs.
I have RE shackles but haven't gotten around to putting them on, still using the stockers. Has anyone had a problem with this? I think its because the RE springs are a bit longer than most springs. Surely longer than stock springs.
Nice!

Can you post pics of the shackle interference?

post #411 of 2230 Old 08-13-2008, 10:40 AM
K4KAS
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well I was going to take some pics and post them but the rain is killing me! I put my RE greaseable shackles on and and all is well. No more interference!
post #412 of 2230 Old 08-13-2008, 08:53 PM
guitarZERO
1998 ZJ 

Anybody have a pic of a swing out tire carrier/bumper for a ZJ?...Like to see one!

-"If you are afraid to "fly" then don't expect to go very far..."
-"Your mistakes do not define you, they tell you who you are not..."
-"Mercy is for the strong."
post #413 of 2230 Old 09-05-2008, 05:19 PM
GotThree
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The tire swings in the pics below (both by BESRK and from earlier in the thread) look to be of a bit different design. Is that correct and which is the current design being sold?

Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand things with alloys and compositions and things with... molecular structures.
post #414 of 2230 Old 09-05-2008, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I now use the 2"x3" rectangular tubing (white Jeep) for the main swing arm. It's stronger and I think it looks better. I switched to the 2x3 about a year ago or so.

post #415 of 2230 Old 09-05-2008, 06:31 PM
fromme

1977 CJ7 

Jeez Eddie, how much stronger does it need to be over what I have on the yellow TJ? You've seen me beat the snot out of it, I've laid it on the spare and backed into umpteen trees. Still keeps on ticking.

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth, But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion."
post #416 of 2230 Old 09-05-2008, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Keith,
After the nuclear war I only want to see roaches... and my bumpers.

post #417 of 2230 Old 09-05-2008, 08:47 PM
GotThree
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
I now use the 2"x3" rectangular tubing (white Jeep) for the main swing arm. It's stronger and I think it looks better. I switched to the 2x3 about a year ago or so.
Thanks for the quick reply. I think the newer design looks better as well.

Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand things with alloys and compositions and things with... molecular structures.
post #418 of 2230 Old 09-07-2008, 03:55 PM
tippmann243
1990 YJ Wrangler 

anyone ordered anyhting from this site. im trying to order some things and the page keeps crashing on me

http://www.troutindustries.com/Store.html

it was linked earlier in the thread so im not sure if its on my end or their end.

89 blazer, L31/t56 28mpg.
blazer video,

1990 jeep, 4.2, 5speed.
post #419 of 2230 Old 09-09-2008, 05:08 PM
Stan99
1978 CJ7 

Alright just a quik question, I am going to make bumper for a buddy kind of like mine. My question is, what do you guys think of this type of latch for a tire carrier? I just worry about it ratteling loose.

http://www.atozfabrication.com/catal...mbly-p-37.html

And Besrk, I know you go with 1/4" for almost everything on yours, how do you feel about 1/8" wall for a tire carrier, carrying a 33" tire?

1978 Jeep Cj7 Soa, Shackle Reversle, 36x13.5x15 Irocks, 4.5 Stroker MPI, Dana 300 twin Sticked, 4.88's
post #420 of 2230 Old 09-09-2008, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I think if Zach uses that latch, it won't rattle loose. With "T" nuts, I like to run them up tight and then hit them with a wrench or small hammer to cinch them down anyway.

Actually, I don't use 1/4" wall anymore. I use 3/16" for the bumper and 1/8" wall for the "A" frame. That helps keep weight down and is plenty strong.

If it were for a mild rig that wasn't gonna get banged around, 1/8" wall for the whole thing would probably suffice. My very first pair of bumpers were made from 2"x4"x1/8" wall tubing and I don't think I ever put one dent in either of them. We even put a short stinger on the front bumper and used the winch like a crane to pickup/move engines and axles around in my backyard...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.