Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier Follow Along - Page 24 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier Follow Along

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-22-2008, 12:52 AM   #346
JKB
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Aaarrrggghhh!!!!

Quote:
The real trick is to make mistakes when nobody is around, fix said mistakes, take pictures of finished product, then post pics on the internet and take credit for a job well-done
I knew I was missing a step

JKB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2008, 08:11 PM   #347
Matt Graham
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hey BESRK, (& I apologize if this has already been mentioned, but I ran out of time reading through all these pages!) have you thought about making a detailed set of step-by-step plans with measurements, etc. & tools required and selling the plans? That way someone that had access to the tools could take your parts list and build the bumper themselves. Just an idea......a way that would allow you to make money without doing anything (after you'd written it up once) and a way that would allow someone to save a little money if they could work with the metal & do the fabrication. Whatcha think?
Unread 02-25-2008, 07:18 PM   #348
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Matt,
Truth is, I don't have any plans. All the measurements are in my head, on templates and jigs. I just duplicate all the parts and weld them up on an actual Jeep rear crossmember.

The measurements aren't that difficult. If someone follows basic fabrication steps (measure twice, cut once), the bumper kind of builds itself.

If I had the stuff drawn out in a detailed plan, I would've published it for free. I wouldn't be able to look in the mirror if I charged $$ for it. Now, what I will charge money for is my work. I have sold parts to DIYs to help them build a bumper. Anymore though, it's all I can do to keep up with bumper orders.

As for a list of tools, it would be hard for me to say.. I use a decent welder and plasma cutter to cut/weld my bumpers together. Combined, they cost about $3500. My lathe cost me about $4000. That's beyond what a lot of DIYs can afford. Most guys are probably welding with a 110v welder and cutting the bumper with a chop saw and cutoff wheels... like I did when I started.

If you plan on building a bumper and have questions or need stuff, shoot me a PM, anytime. I check my messages/emails every single morning and evening.. and answer every single one. If I can help you with something, I'd be glad to.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2008, 01:10 PM   #349
sergeantspud
1999 TJ Wrangler 

This will be my first time fabricating anything for my jeep, but one of my ideas was instead of having a latch to lock the carrier could I just run a brace from the carrier to the door so that when the door opens so does the carrier? I 've seen one setup like that on a JK. Would there have to be a certain geometry to get the brace to line up right? Would it create extra vibration in the cab?

BTW sorry if this question was asked already, I got the page around page six and decided to look at the last 4 pages. Couldn't find it.
sergeantspud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2008, 06:57 PM   #350
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeantspud View Post
This will be my first time fabricating anything for my jeep, but one of my ideas was instead of having a latch to lock the carrier could I just run a brace from the carrier to the door so that when the door opens so does the carrier? I 've seen one setup like that on a JK. Would there have to be a certain geometry to get the brace to line up right? Would it create extra vibration in the cab?

BTW sorry if this question was asked already, I got the page around page six and decided to look at the last 4 pages. Couldn't find it.
I am doing the same right now for my Bro-in-laws Jeep. I strongly suggest a latch. The swing weight is too much on the link between the tailgate and the swing. Those De-Tas-Co latches are easy to open.

As far as geometry goes, I am going as close to a parallelogram as possible. In other works, look at the distance between the tailgate hinge pin and the center of the swing pin, take a measurement. Let's say it is 4.75 inches (that's what the one I built is). The link should be close to that length as well, a little longer is better than a little shorter, but I would try and keep it within 1" anyway. Being I will still use a latch to hold the swing secure to the bumper I am using a spring loaded link. That way the tailgate can close before the swing when shutting it. Here is my link. It is 7/16" at the bores and shaft with a HD spring inside the 1" body and 4.75" center to center with about 5/8" stroke.

If you don't use a latch you don't need a spring loaded link. But a latch makes everything so much more secure it is well worth while.

On my Jeep I don't use a tire swing. I made new tailgate hinges that the spare mounts to so it opens all together, but I still use a latch to beef it up.

Hinge side

If you looked at the same JK as I did the link is way too long.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2008, 10:34 PM   #351
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

Bersk, here's my problem:

URGENT where to order bumpers w/ receiver hitches

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the deal, I have already ordered bumpers from JCW but they are on back order (thankfully) and I'm going to cancel it. I planed the front bumper to mount a Champion 10000lb winch. Well I went to Sam's today to buy it and for the same price they had the Quick release mounting version for the same price. I want to try and stay with black 3'' dual tube bumpers if possible? I went to JCW website and I found the same bumper with the receiver hitch, but can't find one for the front! I have looked at quadratec and jeep4x4center and can't find one. Does anyone have an idea?
Thanks, Rick
SlikRic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2008, 10:52 PM   #352
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Don't know of any double tube fronts with receivers. You could take the bumper to a local fab shop and have one added for a nominal fee.. I usually do it for about $25-$30 around here.

Something to consider though.. a winch is capable of exerting a tremendous amount of force. Take a look at your front frame section on the CJ.. those bumper mounting bolt holes aren't too far from the end of the frame rails.. and the frame is only 1/8" thick. The bad thing with a winch is, it's hard to tell how hard it's pulling.. until something fails. All your CJ winch plates use side frame brackets (basically angle iron that comes over the top of the frame) with a winch plate bolted on top.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2008, 11:04 PM   #353
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

BERSK, That's why I'm following the adsive of the forum to contact you about a custom build! We can reply on here or you can emial me at:
rcatton@catronics.us or call me at 941.234.2388
Thanks for your quick response!
Rick

Last edited by SlikRic; 03-07-2008 at 11:51 PM.. Reason: wrong number
SlikRic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2008, 12:07 PM   #354
sergeantspud
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Bigbob,
so on you jeep your tire carrier pivots from mounts welded to the body, I couldn't tell if it was braced to the tailgate or not... I could understand needing a lock if you didn't have it connect to the tailgate, but wouldn't the tail gate be enough to hold it? It would just be holding it in place not pivoting on the tailgate.
Unread 03-08-2008, 12:53 PM   #355
Bigbob

Quote:
Bigbob,
so on you jeep your tire carrier pivots from mounts welded to the body, I couldn't tell if it was braced to the tailgate or not... I could understand needing a lock if you didn't have it connect to the tailgate, but wouldn't the tail gate be enough to hold it? It would just be holding it in place not pivoting on the tailgate.
Here's a post on my carrier.http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/almost-done-493225/

The tailgate latch would probably be O-K, but I wanted the added security of a heavy duty latch. Also, and I think this is a biggy, by having the carrier sit on a rest on the latch side, along with the latch, everything is tied together very well. I did not want the added weight of the swing/hinge and the tire putting pressure on the factory latch.

The 1" hinges are not welded to the body, they are welded to the Rokmen short corners.

And this is ditto with a bumper mounted swing I am building that will be attached to the tailgate. IMHO a latch is always needed. It is still a real easy one-handed deal to open and close.

From the above post on my hinge;
This is the "rest" I built and installed today. It is steel with poly on it. The area of the frame next to the de-tas-co latch sits on this. I did not want all the weight of this to just hang it's stuff on one side of the Jeep. Even with those heavy duty corners the tub has a certain amount of flex to it. Now instead of bending down the rest will stop any flex there. The rubber washer is to prevent any steel to steel contact of the frame with the corner.

Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Unread 03-08-2008, 01:16 PM   #356
sergeantspud
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Oh! I see how you did it, you completely took of the hinges on the door of the tail gate and bolted it to the swing on the carrier. That a neat idea, I would do that if I had the steel corners like you. Someday...

Alright man thanks a lot for the help!
Hope to see you on the trail sometime
Unread 03-08-2008, 01:28 PM   #357
Bigbob

Quote:
Oh! I see how you did it, you completely took of the hinges on the door of the tail gate and bolted it to the swing on the carrier. That a neat idea, I would do that if I had the steel corners like you. Someday...

Alright man thanks a lot for the help!
Hope to see you on the trail sometime
When I look back on this I really don't think the corners are needed. They do add a lot of protection and strength to the rear, but they also add a lot of weight. I think as far as stoutness goes a piece of 3/16" X about 6"-8" on each side would be just as strong. The swing could also be made from 1/8" wall lighter stuff and work just as well also. I hate the weight.

Now that I have had this deal on my Jeep for almost 4 months I have found it works much, much better than I expected. Zero rattles, easy to open, and I get a lot of comments. Some guy followed me into a gas station the other night to take a looky-see!
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Unread 03-22-2008, 11:31 PM   #358
CaptAmerica219
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm sure it's getting old but I must say, those are some good looking bumpers besrk. How much for a rear bumper & tire carrier for a yj?
CaptAmerica219 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2008, 09:43 AM   #359
84MSRB
1984 CJ7 

Well, here's the BESRK inspired bumpers as they sit right now.
[/IMG]
If that link works.....I wish I could remember how to post pics....
gotta get the mounting tabs and such done, then decide on the tire swing- probably use some stuff from AtoZ, as precision machining is not in my genes.
84MSRB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2008, 07:31 PM   #360
glenno
1990 YJ Wrangler 

BESRK YJ Rear Bumper in the rough. Trial fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84MSRB View Post
Well, here's the BESRK inspired bumpers as they sit right now.
[/IMG]
If that link works.....I wish I could remember how to post pics....
gotta get the mounting tabs and such done, then decide on the tire swing- probably use some stuff from AtoZ, as precision machining is not in my genes.
glenno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.