Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier Follow Along - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier Follow Along

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 08-29-2004, 04:06 PM   #16
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Hey.. thanks for the kind words.. Now, here's where I'm at..
Got the bumper mounted up on the wife's CJ5 and put my 35" TSL/15x10 steel wheel (pretty heavy) on the carrier. I think a 35" tire fits good, but if I were gonna make it to fit a bigger tire, I'd have to extend the tire mounting location up a couple inches. Plus, I made it with the wife's CJ (which has no tailgate) so I'll have to measure a few Jeeps with tailgates to make sure I mount the pivot and latch far enough apart to allow the tailgate to open..
and don't mind the stance of the wife's Jeep either. It's gonna get a little lift to better accomodate those 33s. It's still set up the way I bought it.. ($1200).

Side view.. you can see there should be plenty of room left for Highlift, Gas/Water cans.. etc.

Here it is open. I need to weld on a stop so the tire doesn't crush the tail light if I swing it open too fast... or I can flush mount the lights While it was open like this with the tire on it, I was able to sit on it and ride it back and forth.. okay, it was sorta fun.

Here you can see the actual tire mount. You can see how the tire mounting position is off center. By rotating the mounting tube 180 deg, I can raise/lower the tire. I'd probably mount a 33" spare tire on the lower position so I gain a little bit of rearview mirror visibility. The 1/2" bolt on the top is used to tighten the tire carrier inside the receiver tube so it doesn't rattle..

Shot everything with the base coat of POR 15 (doh! I forgot to weld on the swing stop I'll catch it later). Like my paint rack?

Here's a better shot of the actual tire mount showing the offset. I like this..

Overall I'm pleased with the outcome. I'm going to use 1/4" angle frame tie in brackets to stiffen up the rear crossmember. With the tire carrier open, I can bounce up and down on the arm and see the stock Jeep crossmember flex a bit so I want to try and tighten that up. With the 35" TSL mounted and the carrier latched closed, I can move the carrier about 1/4"-1/2" forward and backward. There is no loose play, it's all a slight amount of flex. I didn't have all the mounting bolts in or properly tightened either. When the paints dry, I'll mount it up right and ride the carrier open and closed sitting on the tire to test it out. After that, I guess it's actual road testing. That won't be able to happen for a couple of weeks though. I still have to swap in the 360/T176 combo, the 1 piece axles sitting in the dining room, the Holley carb sitting on the kitchen table and a still to be bought lift kit. I'll post final pics after I finish shooting the topcoat of Chassis Black..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet

Last edited by BESRK; 10-13-2005 at 04:46 PM..
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2004, 04:24 PM   #17
rukkus0o

Eddie,
Sweet job. That thing looks every bit as sturdy and stout as the warn setups. Can't wait to get one off you and get it on my rig
rukkus0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2004, 08:44 AM   #18
Kraw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK
You know.. I trust my life to my work (having built my own rear frame, suspension work..etc.) but I hate to put other's lives in my hands. I've had enough of that in the Army. All I want to do now is relax, melt some metal together, grind it into shape, and enjoy the finished product. If I can make a few extra bucks on ths side.. all the better (and trust me, with the price of steel, it's not easy to clear much profit building 1/4" thick bumpers). If, god forbid, someone tows with one of my bumpers and there is a mishap resulting in damage, injury, or <gulp> death.. I'm finished. I would probably lose everything... (not to mention the poor victim!). So, officially... my bumpers aren't for towing.. the receiver is for "recovery use only."

hey, I understand about the towing thing I'm sure your bumper is every bit as strong as my Olympic

How is the price of steel now? Is it affecting your prices yet?

Thanks for the tip on the finger sander, I'll see if I can find one. As of now, I bought a thick sawzall blade for and I'm going to attempt to put a 60grit stick on sanding pad on each side of it I even thought about putting a flat bastard in the blade end of my sawzall
Unread 08-30-2004, 10:44 AM   #19
JayJEEPguy
2004 WJ 

NICE work!

Just curious, and I'm sure you were going to get asked anyway...

What are the prices looking to be around?
'02 WJ:4.7L, Selec-Trac. Totalled 9-12-07. Click to hearKolak 3" exhaust sound clip
http://www.cardomain.com/id/MourningWoody
JayJEEPguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2004, 11:27 AM   #20
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Price of steel is killing me right now. Here is what I pay for the steel. I still have to break it down by the inch to see what my actual cost per bumper is...

2x4x1/4" wall... $240 for 20' (4 rear bumpers @ 55") or (5 front bumpers @ 48")
3x3x1/4" wall $220 for 24' (mounting legs..5")
2 1/2x2 1/2x 1/4"wall $190 for 24' (receiver 7")
2"x3/4" flat .. $75 for 20' (clevis mounts 12")
2"x1/4" flat.. $23 for 20' (end pieces 16")
3"x3/8" flat.. $75 for 20' (mounting plates 16-18")
2 1/2"x1/4" flat.. $27 for 20' (chain plate 7")
2x2x3/16" square.. $110 for 20' (swingaway frame 88"+-)
spindle and bearing.. about $25 w/shipping
De Sta Co latch.. about $25 w/shipping
POR 15..... $105 a gallon (20-25 bumpers)
POR 15 Chassis Black... $140 a gallon (20-25 bumpers)
Welding wire.. 10lb roll of flux core.. $35 (4-5 bumpers)
Bubble wrap.. $11 for 175' (14 bumpers or so)
Tape..$2 a roll (1 roll per bumper)
Shipping.. East coast about $25.. Midwest about $40 and West Coast about $50 (for a basic bumper)
My time.. 4 hours for a basic rear bumper.. 3 1/2 hours for a basic front bumper... approx 8 hours for a rear bumper with tire carrier.

I'm sure it'll get quicker as I zero in on measurements.. etc. the key to making bumpers is to mass produce as much as possible. I take advantage of rainy days by cutting/drilling all my brackets and pieces. I'm sure I left a couple things out (like grinding disks, welding tips, plasma tips, bandsaw blades, gloves, lacquer thinner..etc) but you can probably do the math and see that I don't make a whole lot in profit off of this sweat shop endeavor... but I still enjoy it

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 08-31-2004, 11:58 PM   #21
JeepGal
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Lookin' Good BESRK

Have you thought about how youre going to get the Jerry Cans and hi-lift in yet?

Tam
Unread 09-01-2004, 05:09 AM   #22
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Not yet... actually, I forgot to close my last quart of Chassis Black and it hardened on me So I have to wait for more paint to come in and then shoot the topcoat on it before I can mount it permanently and tinker with accessories.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 09-01-2004, 10:31 AM   #23
jd4x4

How long did you make the bumper mounts? i am getting ready to make a rear bumper also and just need a few measurments. Your bumper looks good, and I can tell you have had more practice than me .

later
jmd

[COLOR=red]Red Jeep Club Member #108[/COLOR]
jd4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2004, 02:48 PM   #24
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd4x4
How long did you make the bumper mounts? i am getting ready to make a rear bumper also and just need a few measurments. Your bumper looks good, and I can tell you have had more practice than me .

later
jmd
If your refering to the flat plates that actually bolt to the Jeep, they're 7" long and made from 3/8" thick by 3" wide flat stock.. If you're talking about the squares that are between that flat and the actual bumper, those are 3"x3" square tube with a 1/4" wall thickness and they're 2" long...thanks for the kind words and I'll be glad to answer any more questions you have..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 09-01-2004, 07:00 PM   #25
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Okay.. I figured my cost (think I'm pretty close) in a typical rear bumper with swingout... like the one above.. it costs me about $250 to make... and about 8-10 hours of work. Not sure what to charge...Probably about $400 plus shipping. I'll order some more latches and spindles tomorrow and try the next one on eBay..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 09-05-2004, 12:24 AM   #26
Rio_Grande
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good, we have been building and selling them for about a year now. Be carefull not to undercut your time. I know it seems reasonable now but when you get 10 orders in one week, it gets a bit trying to find the time.

Your quality seems good. We are adding a adjustable tire carrier like yours and they are a time consuming part.

Glad to see others realize the value of 1/4 inch material. Never had a failure.

Good luck.
Unread 09-05-2004, 07:15 AM   #27
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I'm learning about the time management real fast. I just about have my hands full making basic bumpers but that's one of good things about using eBay... I can tailor my sales to suit my free time as I do this stuff after my real job (active duty soldier). I'll crank out a few carriers and then put 'em on eBay. I like your website. Maybe when I retire I'll do a website too but right now I couldn't handle the amount of business that an internet shopping cart could drum up. Thanks for the encouragement

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 09-19-2004, 07:43 AM   #28
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Okay, finally got it shot with the topcoat of POR 15 Chassis Black and then mounted it... still have to get the accessory stuff done (Highlift.. etc.) but I'm gonna jump into the engine swap next so that stuff will have to wait... if only there were more hours in a day...

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet

Last edited by BESRK; 10-13-2005 at 04:48 PM..
Unread 09-21-2004, 11:15 AM   #29
tobias94yj
Hillbilly Member

1994 YJ Wrangler 

man that thing looks spectacular. did you drive it around with a spare to see if it rattles any?
Unread 09-21-2004, 06:05 PM   #30
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

No.. still gotta get the motor in the Jeep. I just did one for my buddy though. Finished it today. We'll see how it performs this weekend. We're going to the Virginia 4WD Assoc annual run. He's running around with a 35" TSL on a steel wheel hanging from it.. without rattles so far

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.