Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier Follow Along - Page 139 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier Follow Along

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 03-01-2014, 07:10 PM   #2071
Mattific
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Mine

image-3411567242.jpg

Comes back from powder coat Monday

Unread 03-01-2014, 07:32 PM   #2072
tdkask

Not trying to be negative, but I have really rattled the heck out of my rear bumper wheeling. I'd be careful to make that rack really solidly mounted if headed down more than a mild trail. Again, I like the idea, but don't know if it would hold up to serious abuse with weight that far up a couple verticle poles. Keep us posted. I'd like to find a good solution that can take a bearing.
USN Jeep Club Hull #135 (Retired USN 1992-2012)
'80 CJ7__258, TF999, D300__'86 CJ WT D44/D30's(3.54s)__GPF custom front/rear bumpers
4" springs__33x15s on black steelies__Galaxy DX959 CB__Cage (built onto YJ "family" bar)
tdkask is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2014, 09:10 PM   #2073
RKCWLER
RKCWLER

2004 TJ Wrangler 

tdkask: Thanks for the insight.

I was thinking of a gusset between the A and the upright receivers. I am not into black diamond trails, yet. But I feel confident, when done, that the rack will get me to any fly fishing hole off the beaten path.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
image-2082018078.jpg

Unread 03-02-2014, 04:42 AM   #2074
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattific View Post
Mine

Attachment 1132657

Comes back from powder coat Monday
Nice! I'd hate to see what happens if you ever back the rear corner of your Jeep into another vehicle.. it'll be like a can opener!!

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2014, 11:54 AM   #2075
Mattific
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK
Nice! I'd hate to see what happens if you ever back the rear corner of your Jeep into another vehicle.. it'll be like a can opener!!
Or if my knee comes in contact with it
Unread 03-03-2014, 10:17 PM   #2076
ShebZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
Thanks for those kind words!

Actually, I cut the tube to 58 1/2" long (on my drycut saw). That leaves a little "wiggle room" at the ends. After cutting both sides, I trim off the "drop" with a Portaband.
Thanks for the insight. I tried cutting one on the Torchmate but obviously my programming needs some work as when I flipped it over, the cuts were slightly off. Simply inverting didn't workout perfectly, so maybe i'll have to make a center reference point to work off of.

In a previous post you mentioned buying your receivers instead of making them. After making a few and calculating the time, it is definitely not worth the effort. I found some for a great price, but I can only find them powdercoated. I did some experimenting with removing the powdercoating but the labour was not worth it in my opinion. Do you have a source for receivers that are bare steel?

Thanks Eddie, much appreciated!
97 ZJ, 8" total lift on IRO Springs w/RC Long Arms, 33" KM2's, Black Rock Krawlers, KOR Steering Box Brace, IRO HD OTK Steering and Rear Adjustable Track Bar, Custom Bumper, XRC8 Winch, NP231 swap with SYE, 8.8 and Trussed HP D30...both Spartan locked!
ShebZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 10:41 PM   #2077
tdkask

Maybe it maybe not helpful, but Walmart sells a receiver labeled as an adapter for about $12 in the automotive section. In the last couple bumper builds I did the hitch was flush recessed, so I just used 2.5"x.25" wall square tube (2"x2" I.D.) that I had lying around.
USN Jeep Club Hull #135 (Retired USN 1992-2012)
'80 CJ7__258, TF999, D300__'86 CJ WT D44/D30's(3.54s)__GPF custom front/rear bumpers
4" springs__33x15s on black steelies__Galaxy DX959 CB__Cage (built onto YJ "family" bar)
tdkask is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 10:07 AM   #2078
ShebZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdkask View Post
Maybe it maybe not helpful, but Walmart sells a receiver labeled as an adapter for about $12 in the automotive section. In the last couple bumper builds I did the hitch was flush recessed, so I just used 2.5"x.25" wall square tube (2"x2" I.D.) that I had lying around.
I like the flush recessed look, and i do that on front bumpers, but for the rear I like to have the option of doing either. Furthermore, on certain designed swingouts, i have the upper reciever and having one pre-made would be a great time saver, because there are only so many hours in the day and it seems there are never enough! Eddie has said this on more than one occasion and i get it now!

I have found what i want for $5 bucks a piece which is crazy cheap, but like i said, they are powdercoated Ugh!
97 ZJ, 8" total lift on IRO Springs w/RC Long Arms, 33" KM2's, Black Rock Krawlers, KOR Steering Box Brace, IRO HD OTK Steering and Rear Adjustable Track Bar, Custom Bumper, XRC8 Winch, NP231 swap with SYE, 8.8 and Trussed HP D30...both Spartan locked!
Unread 03-04-2014, 10:25 AM   #2079
cjjon7
1983 CJ7 

Amazon.com has some really nice ones for 12 each, raw steel and 8" in length
cjjon7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 11:50 AM   #2080
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I was getting my Tubes from a place called Jem's Tubes out of Michigan. I think the last batch I got (100) was about $7 each shipped. However, the wait time became an issue so I ended up going to eBay and ordering from either Jeg's or Summit. They're about $14ea but they're raw steel, and usually sitting at my doorstep 3 days after the order. Sometimes, ya just gotta pay for convenience.

ShebZJ.. on those bumper tubes. I don't flip them end for end, I roll them over. I cut 2 at a time.. back to back. After the torch cuts the one side, I flip both bumpers over and swap them for each other.. then cut them again.

I lay a "spacer" piece of tubing up against the "X" axis of the table.. to square up the bumpers and scoot them far enough from the X side so they don't hit the stepper motor on the gantry. I've got the "starting measurement" wrote down in my notes.
Basically, I lay the bumper in place (slide the ends up against a stop), jog the torch all the way as far as it will go to "negative Y", zero the table locations, use the "point" feature to move the torch to the start point (using that measurement that I have wrote down), rezero the table.. and hit start.

If I had bigger balls, I'd lay out 10 bumpers and do them all at once.. or ruin them all at once

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 03-04-2014, 05:17 PM   #2081
ShebZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
I was getting my Tubes from a place called Jem's Tubes out of Michigan. I think the last batch I got (100) was about $7 each shipped. However, the wait time became an issue so I ended up going to eBay and ordering from either Jeg's or Summit. They're about $14ea but they're raw steel, and usually sitting at my doorstep 3 days after the order. Sometimes, ya just gotta pay for convenience.

ShebZJ.. on those bumper tubes. I don't flip them end for end, I roll them over. I cut 2 at a time.. back to back. After the torch cuts the one side, I flip both bumpers over and swap them for each other.. then cut them again.

I lay a "spacer" piece of tubing up against the "X" axis of the table.. to square up the bumpers and scoot them far enough from the X side so they don't hit the stepper motor on the gantry. I've got the "starting measurement" wrote down in my notes.
Basically, I lay the bumper in place (slide the ends up against a stop), jog the torch all the way as far as it will go to "negative Y", zero the table locations, use the "point" feature to move the torch to the start point (using that measurement that I have wrote down), rezero the table.. and hit start.

If I had bigger balls, I'd lay out 10 bumpers and do them all at once.. or ruin them all at once
LOL so true. Gambling is not my thing, or i might try that also.

Thanks for the advice. I'll need to change how i did it for sure. My situation differs slightly because my table is only a 4x4 so the "blank" is just off the end of the table and out of range for the taper on one end. I can get both shackle mounts, reciever and the one taper, but then i have to flip end to end for the last taper. I suppose if i was more savy, i could put the blank diagonally, but i doubt i could do it acurately.

I'll play around with my drawing and hope it works better next time. As it sits now, this one is close enough that i can still use it so a bumper building i will go!

Cheers for the great thread and insights. It's pretty awesome to see where you started and how far you've come in the last 10 years.
Unread 03-04-2014, 06:54 PM   #2082
O1dSoldier
1978 CJ5 

#jatepper

Hate to hi-jack the thread but I've been trying to get in touch with you about your roll bar tie-ins you make. I'd like a set if your still making them.

Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch
O1dSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2014, 08:44 AM   #2083
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by O1dSoldier View Post
#jatepper

Hate to hi-jack the thread but I've been trying to get in touch with you about your roll bar tie-ins you make. I'd like a set if your still making them.
You might be able to get ahold of him thru his Targetman.com website..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 03-05-2014, 01:35 PM   #2084
munypit
1985 CJ7 

Besrk, do you sell the "new" style locking pin assembly for the tire carrier and also need some bumper tie in plates for a cj 7. Received the shackle pieces, they look great. Also thanks for keeping this going so long, I'm getting ready to start my rear bumper build.
munypit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2014, 02:08 PM   #2085
O1dSoldier
1978 CJ5 

jatepper

Quote:
You might be able to get ahold of him thru his Targetman.com website..
I hadn't considered that. Thanks.

Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch
O1dSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.