Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier Follow Along - Page 138 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier Follow Along

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-23-2014, 08:05 PM   #2056
tdkask

Not sure if I ever shared my modded latch, and it's not very easily mass produced, but I have been extremely pleased with how well this locks into place. Maybe a bit overboard visually, too... but I think it's cool.

It's made from a massive wrench i found rusting in the mud at a salvage yard. I built the pivot point by drilling through the wrench (hard as hell... wish I'd have had a plasma cutter then) and sleeving on either side with steel tubing. It pivots on a really big grade 8 bolt, at the unthreaded part. The upper pin that locks it in place is the same that BESRK puts on the J-lock setup. The lower tab it locks onto was mocked up in cardboard and finessed after installed.

Works 100% great. Only drawback is that I have to disassemble and clean (wire wheel) and grease, then reassemble the pin lock at top about every 4-6 months... 5 minutes work probably.

Locks in TIGHT... no give, no rattle, never a fear of hitting it on anything. I'd build this design on a bumper again, only the pivot would be prettier now that I have a lathe and a plasma cutter. Even if it weren't a over-sized wrench, one of you guys with a CNC plasma could make a handle with the same principle. (I recommend a long handle... I push to get this locked in so tight.)

USN Jeep Club Hull #135 (Retired USN 1992-2012)
'80 CJ7__258, TF999, D300__'86 CJ WT D44/D30's(3.54s)__GPF custom front/rear bumpers
4" springs__33x15s on black steelies__Galaxy DX959 CB__Cage (built onto YJ "family" bar)
tdkask is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2014, 08:14 PM   #2057
RKCWLER
HLCLBER - TLCHSER

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKCWLER
I like that.. does that style of latch have the "toggle plus" trigger? The little latch that keeps it from popping open.
Yes it does. It is the 344. It's basically the same one as the 341. Only a right angle. I will post more pictures later.
I think I saw this same wrench latch on another forum or post.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 02-23-2014, 09:22 PM   #2058
RKCWLER
HLCLBER - TLCHSER

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKCWLER View Post
Yes it does. It is the 344. It's basically the same one as the 341. Only a right angle. I will post more pictures later.
I think I saw this same wrench latch on another forum or post.

Here is a picture that shows the locking lever. Got it from MCM for about $70. I know it's almost double the cost of the 341, but.............it works for me.
latchangle3.jpg

RKCWLER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2014, 07:15 AM   #2059
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Wow.. those are indeed kinda pricey!

One of these days, I need to start making my own latch system. Add that to the mile-long list of projects..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2014, 02:15 PM   #2060
ShebZJ
1997 ZJ 

I've been following this thread for years! Great craftsmanship and quite frankly, a great role model. Your advice and guidance in this thread and many others have been incredibly valuable.

I have a Torchmate and i was watching your video about cutting bumper blanks using it. Very cool. I know you said that your bumper blanks are 58" long, but in the vid it seems that some of that is cut away when you do the taper. What is the final width of the blank?

Thanks again for all the help.
97 ZJ, 8" total lift on IRO Springs w/RC Long Arms, 33" KM2's, Black Rock Krawlers, KOR Steering Box Brace, IRO HD OTK Steering and Rear Adjustable Track Bar, Custom Bumper, XRC8 Winch, NP231 swap with SYE, 8.8 and Trussed HP D30...both Spartan locked!
ShebZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2014, 08:08 AM   #2061
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Thanks for those kind words!

Actually, I cut the tube to 58 1/2" long (on my drycut saw). That leaves a little "wiggle room" at the ends. After cutting both sides, I trim off the "drop" with a Portaband.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 02-25-2014, 08:17 PM   #2062
cjjon7
1983 CJ7 

TDKASK thats a pretty righteous looking setup youve got there, clever!

What do you guys recommend for a suitable De sta CO latch ( in terms of Max load rating ) for runing a 36" tire and probably some gear on the swinger as well.... 2k seems like the obvious choice but dang those are expensive!!!
cjjon7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2014, 09:58 PM   #2063
JJeeper09
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Eddie, saw my old jeep the other night with your bumpers on it. John in the silver tj bought some bumpers from you a little while back. He seems to love them and they are solid! Wish I never sold my rear bumper!

Looks good as always and I hope you are doing well!

James
Unread 02-26-2014, 07:30 AM   #2064
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Hey James! Yep.. still alive and kicking.. been busy between my "dayjob" and the shop. At least we're gettin more daylight each day, so that's good!

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 02-26-2014, 08:30 PM   #2065
RKCWLER
HLCLBER - TLCHSER

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Did I say rack? Maybe a build thread?
carrier-rack1.jpg

RKCWLER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2014, 09:46 PM   #2066
cjjon7
1983 CJ7 

Anyone have a good design for a removable over-the-tire rack for a triangular swingout like the one above?

Im looking to have all sorts of accessory mounts on mine but am struggling with a mental design block on how to proceed.
Unread 02-28-2014, 03:42 PM   #2067
TanMan99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjjon7 View Post
Would you mind snapping a picture of your destaco latch setup on your swingout? Im trying to figure out.how guys are mounting them effectively
BESRK beat me to it but here is mine. Looks much better painted with bedliner.
TanMan99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2014, 03:45 PM   #2068
TanMan99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Here is a picture that shows the locking lever. Got it from MCM for about $70. I know it's almost double the cost of the 341, but.............it works for me.
Very nice setup. I may have to modify mine a bit.
TanMan99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2014, 03:55 PM   #2069
RKCWLER
HLCLBER - TLCHSER

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjjon7
Anyone have a good design for a removable over-the-tire rack for a triangular swingout like the one above? Im looking to have all sorts of accessory mounts on mine but am struggling with a mental design block on how to proceed.
The one I'm building will be removable. Notice the telescoping tubing with the holes in it. This is so I can adjusted up or down with a locking pin. I will also be adding mounds for my highlift jack, fuel tank and water if necessary.

image-681749273.jpg

Unread 03-01-2014, 06:59 PM   #2070
cjjon7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:

The one I'm building will be removable. Notice the telescoping tubing with the holes in it. This is so I can adjusted up or down with a locking pin. I will also be adding mounds for my highlift jack, fuel tank and water if necessary.

That will be nice, i was planning on using u bolts through plates to attach mine but I do like how yours will lift off with pins

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.