Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier Follow Along - Page 133 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier Follow Along

Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday SaNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-18-2013, 09:30 AM   #1981
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Unique

If this isn't unique, I don't know what is..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdkask View Post
I don't think I ever shared my recent "upgrade" latch mechanism. I like to re-purpose stuff in builds when possible.

I de-rusted a large wrench I found in the mud at a metal salvage yard and did some cutting/welding to make this. Please excuse the ugly flux-core welds.

It uses the angle of the open end to help keep it back and down, and a pull-pin latch (like in Eddie's J-hook setup) is the latch for it. Works great.

This a GPF bumper with a tire carrier I added on, BTW.

Unread 07-19-2013, 03:41 PM   #1982
Harold_Ray

That's neat!!
Harold_Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 03:59 PM   #1983
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
The bottom edge of my bumpers sit above the bottom edge of the frame. I just put a "Z" bend in the mounting tab that goes from the bottom of the bumper to the frame. Before I had a pressbrake, I used to do the bend with a vise and a hammer.

With regards to positioning that "hook" for the latch...
I bolt the latch in place on the end of the arm. I then clamp the 2"x2" square tube "tower" to the backside of the end of the arm. I hold the latch hook in place and slip the latch's "Ubolt" over it. I then tack the hook in place on the tower. That ensures a good fit between the hook and the ubolt.

My latch mounting plates are also slightly raised in relation to the end of the arm. This helps the latch's Ubolt clear the bumper..
Decided I can't live with it. I have started taking off the latch and hook. The hook is off already. Need to grind down the remnants and clean up the hook. I should be able to do the same thing with the latch. Out of curiousity what thickness is the steel you used for the extension the latch is attached to? It looks like at least 3/16th
Unread 07-19-2013, 05:02 PM   #1984
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

It's 3/8".. I drill and tap it for the latch attachment bolts.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 07:18 AM   #1985
E. Humphries
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Eddie, I sent you a pm
Black Jeep Society #369
E. Humphries is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #1986
TURBevO8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

On the rear swing out can you get 5x4.5 and 5x5.5 dbl bolt pattern as an option?
Unread 08-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #1987
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I cut my tire plates with both patterns. However, I usually use "Black" Grade 8 Bolts (1/2"-20 x 1.5" long) as the lug studs, I weld them on the back side to keep them in place.

If I pound in splined 1/2" wheel studs, they could be knocked out and reused in the alternate lug pattern.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2013, 06:32 AM   #1988
TURBevO8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
I cut my tire plates with both patterns. However, I usually use "Black" Grade 8 Bolts (1/2"-20 x 1.5" long) as the lug studs, I weld them on the back side to keep them in place.

If I pound in splined 1/2" wheel studs, they could be knocked out and reused in the alternate lug pattern.
Thanks!
Unread 08-07-2013, 06:45 AM   #1989
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well I got mine all painted up and mounted. I would post pictures but look at Bzerks and it pretty much looks the same (just not as nice welds). The biggest bear was getting the frame tie ins installed. I had got the A2Z ones as I had ordered a bunch of stuff from them already and threw it in. The problem was there are three holes on the frame side and it is the two closest to the back that it uses and the nuts do not have any easy way of mounting. After some trial and error including putting the nut in a wrench and taping it in. I found the easiest way was to stick the nut on the end of your finger and put it up against the hole and then put the nut on. Once it had turned enough then put a wrench over the nut and then tighten.

Otherwise it doesn't rattle a bit and came out nice. Unfortunately now I have to finish renovating our ensuite bathroom as I have neglected it during this whole affair

Also big thanks to Eddie for doing this thread and everyone else for providing inspiration!
Unread 08-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #1990
Roadhawg
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Does anyone have a drawing or CAD or sketchup file of the tyre carrier with some dimensions on it?

Ive been planning to build this whole thing with a buddy who owns a metalwork shop before an epic 2week trip into Botswana in October....
i was gonna measure out the tyre carrier next week but like an idiot i went and got into a motorcycle crash last week and both my hands are cast up (plates and pins had to go in)...hence the ****ty typing also.

anyone got a drawing i can copy/cheat off ?
Roadhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #1991
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhawg View Post
Does anyone have a drawing or CAD or sketchup file of the tyre carrier with some dimensions on it?

Ive been planning to build this whole thing with a buddy who owns a metalwork shop before an epic 2week trip into Botswana in October....
i was gonna measure out the tyre carrier next week but like an idiot i went and got into a motorcycle crash last week and both my hands are cast up (plates and pins had to go in)...hence the ****ty typing also.

anyone got a drawing i can copy/cheat off ?
Post #1970 is a rough one I threw together. It gets you about 90% there
Unread 08-22-2013, 03:45 AM   #1992
Roadhawg
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikkards View Post
Post #1970 is a rough one I threw together. It gets you about 90% there
Thanks man....but im looking for the swing arm specifically. ive got the bumper drawn up already.

thanks anyway
Roadhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 04:47 AM   #1993
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhawg View Post
Thanks man....but im looking for the swing arm specifically. ive got the bumper drawn up already.

thanks anyway
Doh, that was one I had found which is a lot nicer drawn than mine but didn't have the swingaway portion. Warning it is ugly.

What you need is this
Bottom tube: 42"
Left diagonal: 22.63"
Right Diagonal: 22.63"
Vertical: 16"
The pivot point is around 7" from the edge of the bumper assuming the bumper is 58"
Unread 09-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #1994
nlopez2518
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Bumpers

Hey Beserk, I pm you asking for prices for front and rear bumpers with rear tire swing for a 06 TJ. Also, can you make rocker guards with a step for the same jeep?
nlopez2518 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2013, 04:21 PM   #1995
jstman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlopez2518 View Post
Hey Beserk, I pm you asking for prices for front and rear bumpers with rear tire swing for a 06 TJ. Also, can you make rocker guards with a step for the same jeep?
If you are going to make Rocker Guards, I want some too!!
jstman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.