Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier Follow Along - Page 132 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier Follow Along

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 06-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #1966
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Mounting plates that are about 9" long would give a good amount of material around the bolt holes..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 02:36 PM   #1967
tdkask

Hey Eddie, slightly OT, but what plasma cutter do you use? What would you consider the absolute cheapest reasonable cutter for home garage hand=guided use? I'm looking at the ones in the $400-$500 range. Thanks,
Dave
USN Jeep Club Hull #135 (Retired USN 1992-2012)
'80 CJ7__258, TF999, D300__'86 CJ WT D44/D30's(3.54s)__GPF custom front/rear bumpers
4" springs__33x15s on black steelies__Galaxy DX959 CB__Cage (built onto YJ "family" bar)
tdkask is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 05:18 PM   #1968
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Hey Dave! Hope things are going well down south!

I've got a Hypertherm Powermax 1250. It's an 80amp cutter. Think I paid about $3200 for it 5yrs ago or so. Prior to that, I had a Powermax 1000 (60amp). Both are awesome cutters!

The only other brand of plasma cutter I've owned was a Lincoln. I picked up one of their little ones.. I think it was called a Procut 25 or something like that. Couldn't "drag cut" with it out of the box.. and it struggled on anything thicker than 1/4".

I haven't really had any personal experience with any of the other cheaper plasma cutters.. like the ones at Northern, HF..etc.

If I had to start all over from scratch.. on a budget, I'd beg, borrow, trade, max-out-a-card, etc... to get a Hypertherm. At least a Powermax 45. While the cost is more than the price you mentioned, I think you really "get what you pay for" with regards to plasma cutters (and most tools in general).

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 06-13-2013, 09:33 AM   #1969
richharr
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdkask
Hey Eddie, slightly OT, but what plasma cutter do you use? What would you consider the absolute cheapest reasonable cutter for home garage hand=guided use? I'm looking at the ones in the $400-$500 range. Thanks,
Dave
I have used a friends cheap tig/arc/plasma, he paid $500 for it and the plasma worked great, hes been using it for a few years now with no issues
richharr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 08:31 AM   #1970
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Just an FYI if you get the A2Z Mega spindle the bottom hole is 1.5" and the top is 1.25". Doh.
I had cut them both the same assuming the outer tube would sit lower once the races were in. After I did that (used a 36mm socket and some light tapping with a hammer to seat them (btw the 36mm is the same size as the axle nut)), I realized if I was to weld it in the outer tube would be about 1/2 too high. Once I patched it and redrilled a smaller hole it was perfect.
Here is a rough dxf file. If you need cad software to open it I recommend Librecad. I will still be updating it as I go.
Unread 07-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #1971
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

DOH
I just realized I ordered the 331-R and Eddie was using the 341-R. Being in Canuckistan it is a pain in the butt getting them up here. Should I order the 341 and suck up the cost of the 331? Or do you think it is safe to use the 331? The 331 is rated for 700lbs and the only thing on the swingaway is a 33" tire.
Unread 07-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #1972
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Hmmm.. I haven't really messed with a 331 series latch. It's less than half the rated capacity of the 341-R though.. I think I'd either return the 331, or use it in another project.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 07-06-2013, 05:17 PM   #1973
h1driver

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Eddie,

Thanks again for making such a quality product. I put my bumper on in the middle of last October, and not a peep out of this thing. I jut got back from running the Rubicon, both ways, with a 35 on the swingout...and not a single rattle.

This thing is AWESOME!!

So, Suck-It Trebek!!! MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ

My "Build" - Collect and Assemble
h1driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #1974
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Hey Alan! Glad to hear it held up okay!

Wish I were close enough to run the Rubicon.. maybe someday..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 07-09-2013, 02:00 PM   #1975
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
Hmmm.. I haven't really messed with a 331 series latch. It's less than half the rated capacity of the 341-R though.. I think I'd either return the 331, or use it in another project.
Just got a 341-r from Amazon Supply. Paid the extra $12 to get it fast. Got it in a day. HUGE difference in size compared to the 331-R.
Unread 07-13-2013, 02:45 PM   #1976
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

So I got it on and have the latch welded on. However that didn't necessarily turn out how I would have liked. When bringing the latch in it hits up against the bumper unless you have it at one exact spot. Other thing is the hook is a tad high so there is some interference with the latch so you have to kind of lift that end up to get it over the hook. Hard to explain.
I am wondering if I get a washer and put it under the bottom bearing to raise it up a bit if that would help. The seal may do that as well but I doubt that.

On a side note, I have frame tie ins which I got from A2Z a while back. Do I really need to do the ones that bolt to the underneath of the frame? Reason I ask is I would have to find someone who has a bender to get them to work as the bottom of the bumper is about a 1/4" lower than the frame.

Alternatively I could always cut off the bracket where it attaches to the 3x3 square tube and reweld. Not sure if this is a good idea now but thinking I may do that.

So lessons learned (IOW don't do what I did):
1. When attaching the bumper to the frame bracketry make sure the bottom of the bumper lines up with the bottom of the frame.
2. Make sure the latch has no interference with the bumper when closing before doing final welds
3. center the latch before doing the welds. I thought I had but I guess not.
Unread 07-13-2013, 03:22 PM   #1977
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

The bottom edge of my bumpers sit above the bottom edge of the frame. I just put a "Z" bend in the mounting tab that goes from the bottom of the bumper to the frame. Before I had a pressbrake, I used to do the bend with a vise and a hammer.

With regards to positioning that "hook" for the latch...
I bolt the latch in place on the end of the arm. I then clamp the 2"x2" square tube "tower" to the backside of the end of the arm. I hold the latch hook in place and slip the latch's "Ubolt" over it. I then tack the hook in place on the tower. That ensures a good fit between the hook and the ubolt.

My latch mounting plates are also slightly raised in relation to the end of the arm. This helps the latch's Ubolt clear the bumper..
img_0494.jpg  

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 07-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #1978
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Wish I had seen that picture before. My first mistake was making the tower the hook goes on too small. I may look at redoing that end in the future. For now I will just grumble when hooking and unhooking
On a good note I added the tie ins that attach to the bottom of the frame. All I needed was vice, some vice-grips and brute strength.
Unread 07-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #1979
tdkask

I don't think I ever shared my recent "upgrade" latch mechanism. I like to re-purpose stuff in builds when possible.

I de-rusted a large wrench I found in the mud at a metal salvage yard and did some cutting/welding to make this. Please excuse the ugly flux-core welds.

It uses the angle of the open end to help keep it back and down, and a pull-pin latch (like in Eddie's J-hook setup) is the latch for it. Works great.

This a GPF bumper with a tire carrier I added on, BTW.
tdkask is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #1980
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdkask View Post
I don't think I ever shared my recent "upgrade" latch mechanism. I like to re-purpose stuff in builds when possible.

I de-rusted a large wrench I found in the mud at a metal salvage yard and did some cutting/welding to make this. Please excuse the ugly flux-core welds.

It uses the angle of the open end to help keep it back and down, and a pull-pin latch (like in Eddie's J-hook setup) is the latch for it. Works great.

This a GPF bumper with a tire carrier I added on, BTW.
I really like your latch. I used an old wrench I found on the family farm for my latch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.