Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier Follow Along - Page 130 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier Follow Along

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-30-2013, 01:05 AM   #1936
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Couple steps closer to the tow bar being usable. I am using H-3 pins(7/8" dia.). they are a bit long, so I will cut, re-taper and re-drill for the hitch pin clip. Should make it a "no-tool" tow bar.

WSS

photo452.jpg  
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2013, 06:10 AM   #1937
highred
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
1" trailer spindle rated for 1000lbs (Spindle
)
Besrk,

Your description calls for this 1" trailer spindle. However, the description in the link you provide at etrailer.com says this is a 1 1/4" spindle.

Is this the correct spindle to order?

Thanks,

Rob
highred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #1938
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Rob.. the diameter of the spindle where the seal rides, is 1 1/4" dia. However, the part that the bearings ride on, is 1" dia.

I stopped using those small spindles a short time after this thread was started. I purchased a lathe so I could make my own spindle tubes, and stepped up to the 1.375"dia (at the lower bearing) spindles (1.75" dia at the seal portion).

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #1939
jbparisi
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS View Post
Couple steps closer to the tow bar being usable. I am using H-3 pins(7/8" dia.). they are a bit long, so I will cut, re-taper and re-drill for the hitch pin clip. Should make it a "no-tool" tow bar.

WSS
So I used a 1"x3" clevis, a couple 1" washers and a hitch pin. May not look as fancy as that nice red paint job but it certainly did the trick.

jeep-tow-bracket-sm.jpg  
jbparisi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2013, 10:36 PM   #1940
tdkask

Slightly different tow bar setup on mine, but same clevis mounts, I believe (unless changed in last year?), but I used 7/8" shackles that fit very tight in there (actually had to clearance a couple thousandths to fit) so I can leave all the time as shackles, and use to hold tow system.

I always like dual use utilitarianism, and also occasionally use my GPF bumper(s) as a work surface or anvil.
USN Jeep Club Hull #135 (Retired USN 1992-2012)
'80 CJ7__258, TF999, D300__'86 CJ WT D44/D30's(3.54s)__GPF custom front/rear bumpers
4" springs__33x15s on black steelies__Galaxy DX959 CB__Cage (built onto YJ "family" bar)
tdkask is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 12:44 AM   #1941
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbparisi View Post
So I used a 1"x3" clevis, a couple 1" washers and a hitch pin. May not look as fancy as that nice red paint job but it certainly did the trick.

Paint is just a color! Function is where it's at. You got it. I like the compact pins. Did you drill or cut the holes?
Unread 04-10-2013, 10:59 AM   #1942
jbparisi
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS View Post
Paint is just a color! Function is where it's at. You got it. I like the compact pins. Did you drill or cut the holes?
I did neither

Eddie made these for me (THANKS EDDIE !!) & I suspect he cut them out.

I also have 7/8 shackles and tried the screw pin idea. It worked but there was just a little play. The 1" clevis pin is nice and snug but allows smooth pivot with little play.
jbparisi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #1943
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbparisi View Post
I did neither

Eddie made these for me (THANKS EDDIE !!) & I suspect he cut them out.

I also have 7/8 shackles and tried the screw pin idea. It worked but there was just a little play. The 1" clevis pin is nice and snug but allows smooth pivot with little play.
I think Eddie is on to something here. I'll post some progress pics a little later today of the rest of the set-up. I realize with these mounts, width (were the shackles are mounted) is not as important as it was with my last towbar. Truly universal, I could hook it up to many Jeeps with shackle mounts.

WSS
Unread 04-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #1944
mrott
2006 TJ Wrangler 

So I've probably received the best email from my wife today in quite a while... (normally emails consist of the typical "honey do" type list)

"Fedex stopped by today and left 2 ridiculously awkward and heavy pieces of metal sitting on the front step. WTF?"

In other words, that must mean the bumper and tire swing has arrived!! I can't wait to get home today and check it out then start prepping/painting to install it this weekend and grab a few pics of it all. I'll be sure to share some BESRK/Ground Pounder pictorial results as well as a little review.
mrott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2013, 02:08 AM   #1945
WSS
1972 CJ5 

More towbar stuff..........

Getting ready for a shake down trip this weekend.

More towbar details on my build thread.

Cheers!

WSS
photo497.jpg   photo485.jpg  
Unread 04-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #1946
highred
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post

Hey Eddie,

What is the length of this front bumper? I think this is the perfect length and I would like to duplicate.

Thanks,

Rob Caldwell
highred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 06:11 PM   #1947
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Rob.. I think that one was 42" long. That one was a looooong time ago.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 04-25-2013, 04:58 PM   #1948
jstman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Way over due pictures of My bumpers from Eddie!

Eddie,

I owe you an apology, because I waited so long to post my pictures. The truth is i got busy with life and haven't had a chance to post.

As a testimony to Eddie's bumpers, everything fit like a glove! Couldn't ask for a better fit or better durability. These are HEAVY and I wouldn't be afraid to hit a brick wall with these.

The only change I would make is that I would have them powder coated instead of painting them. Maybe in the fall, I'll pull them and have them blasted and powder coated.... Maybe..lol

Lastly, Eddie made me a skid plate for the steering box, but it hasn't made it's way on the Jeep yet, nor have the Rotopax holder, nor the Hi-Lift jack holders, but these two are because I haven't bought the rotopax can or the jack.

jstman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 05:14 PM   #1949
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Shannon.. thanks for posting those pics!!! Jeep's looking great!

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 04-30-2013, 10:16 PM   #1950
johnnyreb
1980 CJ5 

Hey Eddie,
This is my first post since joining and finally made my way through all 130 pages. Your rear bumper and swing out has inspired me, now I have 20 feet of 2x4 tubing in the shop. You do great work. I was also impressed with the rear disc brackets I got feom you a few weeks ago.
johnnyreb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.