Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier Follow Along - Page 129 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier Follow Along

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-15-2013, 10:23 PM   #1921
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Started my bumper today. I learned two things:

1) Shipping cost of a GPF bumper would not have been so bad
2) Eddie does not charge enough LOL

Put a bunch more detail in my build thread

WSS

dscn8343.jpg   dscn8346.jpg   dscn8354.jpg   dscn8372.jpg  
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #1922
jstman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS
Started my bumper today. I learned two things:

1) Shipping cost of a GPF bumper would not have been so bad
2) Eddie does not charge enough LOL

Put a bunch more detail in my build thread

WSS
That's FUNNY!!!!
jstman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2013, 01:06 PM   #1923
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstman View Post
That's FUNNY!!!!
Somewere in this thread I read he is doing one in about four hours. Cool, I ought to be able to knock one out in 10-12 right? No way! I have that in it now and not even close. I bet I get 40hrs in it before it gets painted. The last pic shows the empty wire reel, typical weekend hurdle LOL

Here is what I managed today:
photo398.jpg   photo399.jpg   photo401.jpg   photo404.jpg   photo405.jpg  

photo402.jpg  
Unread 03-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #1924
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Nice work!! I used to cut all my bumper blanks by hand.. the past few years, I've been doing them on the plasma table like you did. I do 2 at a time, flip/swap them and cut again. I can cut 10-12 per hour or so without too much fuss. However, last week I got sidetracked talking to a buddy and cut 2 bumpers upside down on one side. Wasted 2 good blanks... oh well.

Did you pound those ends into submission? I see the torch laying there.. At any rate, nice work on that.

I think my first couple bumpers took me about 12hrs to complete. Between yesterday and today, I did 2 complete tire carrier bumpers start to finish... and a front bumper with winch plate/winch hoop/receiver. Also cut a half dozen winch plates, 50 bumper mounting plates (1/2" thick), and a bunch of shooting targets. Okay.. I cheated.. the plasma table cut all the stuff... but I did push the "start button"...

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2013, 08:01 PM   #1925
WSS
1972 CJ5 

I have a few of those "lack of focus trophys" laying around LOL.

Do you like the new (duramax) torch? I am still learning it. I found I can up all the nozzles at least one jump like from 60 amp to 85 amp and get better quality out of it. But the volts seem a bit more sensitive.

I did pound them, the first bend was just a warm of the torch and a c clamp, the second, sharper bend needed more heating and a bigger hammer. If I was to build another bumper, I would cut a little closer to the web and leave less of the curved part of the tube corner. I think it would bend straighter and not cave in the center so much. I was able to get it pretty flat but it took more work than necessary.
dscn8355.jpg   dscn8357.jpg  
Unread 03-18-2013, 10:34 AM   #1926
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS
I have a few of those "lack of focus trophys" laying around LOL.

Do you like the new (duramax) torch? I am still learning it. I found I can up all the nozzles at least one jump like from 60 amp to 85 amp and get better quality out of it. But the volts seem a bit more sensitive.

I did pound them, the first bend was just a warm of the torch and a c clamp, the second, sharper bend needed more heating and a bigger hammer. If I was to build another bumper, I would cut a little closer to the web and leave less of the curved part of the tube corner. I think it would bend straighter and not cave in the center so much. I was able to get it pretty flat but it took more work than necessary.
That is so much easier than how I build mine. Haha I cut out the wedges with a grinder then just beat it with a hammer till it is in place. I don't have any fancy torches. And the the holes I just cut out a square rectangle and then weld it in.
[URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #640[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #1927
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

For my own bumpers, I just cut that whole end off. I then cut rows and rows of 1.88" wide strips that get welded/hammered into place to form the ends. That allows me to cut my bumper blanks at 58". On a typical 24ft stick, I get 4 full size (58") bumpers and one 54" bumper. With 48" front bumpers, I get 6 bumpers per stick.

I do like the Duramax torch! I'm getting better consumable life and cut quality is better than the original PM1250 consumables I was using. For the most part, I just cut at the recommended 45 and 65 amp settings. I haven't even bothered to crank it up to 80amps for anything.. including 3/4".

Here's some 3/8" I cut for a customer. He was getting these brackets laser cut but wanted to see if he could get a better price without losing too much quality..

Original laser cut example he sent me.. standing next to my plasma cut "imposter"

Again.. original laser cut example laying next to my plasma cut version. The "imposter" was done by taking a digital pic of the original, importing it into CAD.. and scaling it to size. I did drill the small hole whereas the laser version can cut a small hole with no taper.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 03-18-2013, 09:47 PM   #1928
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pitcher View Post
That is so much easier than how I build mine. Haha I cut out the wedges with a grinder then just beat it with a hammer till it is in place. I don't have any fancy torches. And the the holes I just cut out a square rectangle and then weld it in.

You cold formed it? What an animal! The irony is it will probably outlast mine. I am going to have to do a mild stress relief or drop it in the press. I managed a nice 1/4" bend in it. Went slow but lots of weld.

Eddie, whats the rule on pivot/spindle location? I drilled the holes too far out (away) from the frame mount I think. I pugged them and re-drilled about 2.5" from the mount in hopes it will minimize flex. Should it be closer to the mount? The problem is I lined the shackle mounts up with the mounts for strength.

WSS
photo410.jpg   photo415.jpg   photo418.jpg  
Unread 03-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #1929
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Just noticed the pics in the post, That is some clean cutting. The imposter is hard to find. What is the tolerance on the hole? You are getting some smooth motion out of your machine. The big guys would have a hard time getting that quality.
Unread 03-19-2013, 05:34 AM   #1930
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Not sure what his required torlerance was.. basically able to slide a 3/8" bolt thru the small hole.. and 2.25" on the larger hole. When folks ask me how accurate my plasma table is, I tell them.. "Tape measure accurate"..

For the spindle and latch locations. The important thing is to make sure they're far enough outboard to not interfere with the tail gate opening.

On my 58" bumpers, my spindle hole is about 7.25" from the end of the bumper.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 03-19-2013, 06:04 PM   #1931
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
Not sure what his required torlerance was.. basically able to slide a 3/8" bolt thru the small hole.. and 2.25" on the larger hole. When folks ask me how accurate my plasma table is, I tell them.. "Tape measure accurate"..

For the spindle and latch locations. The important thing is to make sure they're far enough outboard to not interfere with the tail gate opening.

On my 58" bumpers, my spindle hole is about 7.25" from the end of the bumper.
Cool, I do not have a gate, so I should be OK, I know it may seem odd to have a swing out but I do have other stuff tucked behind it and there is a small storage spot behind the back seat.

One request with sugar on top:
May I shamelessly copy your shackle mount/tow bar adapter?

WSS
Unread 03-19-2013, 07:55 PM   #1932
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

How's the sayin go?.. "Copying is the highest form of flattery" or "mancrush".. or "bromance" or something like that.

If you like, hit me up with your email, and I should be able to send you the DXF..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 03-19-2013, 08:51 PM   #1933
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Dude, that is great. I would joke and ask if you want to cut it for me too, but I would not have the chance to "bromance" you LOL.

Thanks REALLY!
I'll send you a PM.

WSS

PS, my humble dxf collection is at your disposal.
Unread 03-21-2013, 10:33 PM   #1934
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Big thanks BESRK!!

File was great and they cut flawless. Thanks! One step closer to the desert.

First pic is as cut still wet off the table, fit like a glove. There is a lot of weld on those little guys.

Plus, got a few hours in on the bumper. Yaaa!

WSS
photo435.jpg   photo437.jpg   photo439.jpg  
Unread 03-22-2013, 09:26 PM   #1935
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Well, the bumper is about as finished as it's going to get. I am not real happy with top rack and can holders but it will work. I can go back and re-do it next winter if it does not hold up this season. I used the old warrior/rubicon rack that was on it when I bought the Jeep, so it is the only thing I did not fab myself. I kinda "made" it work.

Next is "finish" grinding then paint. She will be ready for the trails!

All the parts that I used from AtoZ fab's bumper builder kit worked great. I did the mega spindle and it sets up tight. A big thanks to all the input and pics here in this thread! The bumper resembles GPF's because it works! Hard to invent a new wheel.
photo441.jpg   photo444.jpg   photo445.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.