Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier Follow Along - Page 126 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier Follow Along

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 01-12-2013, 08:00 PM   #1876
WSS
1972 CJ5 

'72 bumper mount question

Worked on tieing in the C pillar frame tie in today and did some serious bumper thinking while doing it. I pulled the existing C channel bumper that was on to get a better look and make welding easier. Found I did not feel comfortable welding THAT close to the tank, so I will pull it tomorrow. I figure while it is off, better figure at least the mounts. The current mount went up the outside of the frame toward the front about 8" and used two 1/2" gr8 bolts on each side. The bolts appeared to use existing holes that were larger than 1/2", maybe 3/4" but did not go all the way through the frame (frame is boxed here, don't know if all are), the inner hole is large enough to get a socket in to tighten the nut, but the tank needs to be out and the new exhaust sytem is in the way on the outside of the frame.

Is there an easier way to mount the bumper? How are guys doing this, does anyone have pics?

My current best idea (they change with input and enlightenment LOL) is to cut two pieces of 1" plate to 3x5 inch and drill and tap two 5/8" holes per piece and weld them to the end of each frame rail with some 1/4" gussets. The main difference in what I see used is that these will attach the bumper directly from the rear instead of the side. I would use some thick wall dom to space inside the bumper so the bolts would not crush the bumper.

Thanks for any input,
WSS

WSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2013, 06:27 PM   #1877
thgearhead
1998 TJ Wrangler 

This thread is amazing, it's been going on for almost 9 years, that alone speaks volumes for BESRK and his work. PMing you now.

Lynn
thgearhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2013, 06:52 AM   #1878
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Lynn.. thanks for the kind words! Yep.. wierd how this thread just kept on rolling. I trip out everytime I see the amount of views/posts..

Responded to your PM..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2013, 10:53 AM   #1879
TURBevO8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
Don't have any changes planned for the near-term. I normally use "tabs" for mounting lights/antennas.

I have tapered a few ends like that.. upon request.

Currently, I cut my 2x4 bumper blanks on my CNC Plasma Table. If I were going to taper the ends, I have to break out the hand plasma, cut the ends, pound/clamp them into submission, weld them up (with modified end cap pieces), and then grind the extra weld smooth. Probably adds 30-45 minutes onto each bumper. In the past, I've done those tapered ends for an additional $20.

Same with modified light mounts. If I were going to deviate and make a little mount like that, I'd have to charge a few bucks for it.

In a typical 8hr day, I can knock out 2 Bumper/Tire Carriers if I really hustle. However, that's because the majority of the pieces are precut/preprepped by my son. I just grab stuff off the shelf and dive into a shower of sparks.
In addition to tapered ends, is it possible to get a custom width? Ie: narrower to roughly the width of the tub? Any discount if 2 are ordered and shipped to the same address?
Unread 01-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #1880
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

My normal length is 58".. that's shorter than the tub by about an inch at each end. I can shorten it up more.. but that would eliminate the tapered ends. Ultimately, it's the pivot spindle and latch set up that would be the limiting factor in width. That.. and having it shorter than the bumper mounting points.

I can't discount shipping. Fedex doesn't discount for multiple shipments. Each piece gets charge a specific amount.. what I get charged is what I charge.

I never really built in enough profit to be able to do "bulk order discounts" on the bumpers. By the time you take material and all the other "overhead", the profit is just barely enough to make it worthwhile. The fact that I've been charging the same price for 5yrs, while material costs have gone up substantially, make it even tougher.

It's always a fine line between making enough profit to keep going, raising prices, .... or tapping out.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 01-15-2013, 08:24 AM   #1881
TURBevO8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

^I hear ya man. But I had to at least ask. Looking forward to ordering one of these. My brother may order here very soon. I will have to wait for tax return.

As for width, see post #1600. Looks about an inch or two wider than the tub, right?
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/r.../index107.html
Unread 01-15-2013, 02:51 PM   #1882
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

That's a 58" wide bumper. I think a photo from directly behind, makes it look like it sticks out past the tub.. optical illusion though.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 01-16-2013, 05:37 AM   #1883
TURBevO8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That's a 58" wide bumper. I think a photo from directly behind, makes it look like it sticks out past the tub.. optical illusion though.
Good to know. Thanks for the feedback.
Unread 01-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #1884
JPcpa
2004 LJ Wrangler 

So GPF has a JK bumper now? Good deal, I'm sure I'll be into a JK one of these years and will need a recovery bumper.

What are you using for D-rings on your bumpers? The shackle mounts are so thick I think 7/8" are required??? Can't remember what I used on my TJ bumper. Looking for some good USA shackles.

Dang, how's the hand doing? I did about the same thing years ago with an electric hedge clipper and took a while to heal.
JPcpa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #1885
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Hey Ian! Yep.. I've done a few JK bumpers. Don't really have a "production" JK bumper yet but I've got most of the parts in CAD to knock one out on the vehicle in a day or two.

As for the Shackles.. I use 3/4" Shackles from Northern. Rated at 6.5 Tons and have a 7/8" diameter pin. A 7/8" shackle has a 1" diameter pin but they'll bind in the clevis mount hole unless you clearance them with a die grinder. The pins usually have a "forging line" on them that interferes with the fit in the pin hole.

Hand is good. That liquid bandaid really worked well. I just kept it clean and brushed on the liquid bandaid a few times a day. I now keep a bottle of that stuff at the shop for all the little nicks/cuts that we get on our hands (almost daily). Now, I just need something for severe burns..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 01-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #1886
JPcpa
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks Eddie, evidently I had the Northern 3/4" shackles on my first GP bumper, but they never have them now when I go to the local one.

Just ordered some cheap ARB 3/4" from QTech today.
JPcpa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #1887
jstman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Eddie,

Any chance you might be willing to build a light bar like this (Fat Bar that hugs the windshield frame) for a TJ?

jstman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2013, 04:00 AM   #1888
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstman View Post
Hey Eddie,

Any chance you might be willing to build a light bar like this (Fat Bar that hugs the windshield frame) for a TJ?

While I could probably hash one out, it'll wind up costing more than one that's already made like that. It simply takes more time to develop it from scratch.. whereas, that one already has the bugs worked out.. and is being cranked out in production runs.

Looks to me like they've got a nice tight radius on the tube bends.. and have the mounting brackets already layed out for the WS bolt holes. My 1.75" tube die is a 5.5" radius.
They've also got some nice lines going on with those mounting brackets.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 01-31-2013, 12:47 PM   #1889
jstman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
While I could probably hash one out, it'll wind up costing more than one that's already made like that. It simply takes more time to develop it from scratch.. whereas, that one already has the bugs worked out.. and is being cranked out in production runs.

Looks to me like they've got a nice tight radius on the tube bends.. and have the mounting brackets already layed out for the WS bolt holes. My 1.75" tube die is a 5.5" radius.
They've also got some nice lines going on with those mounting brackets.
Yep... I really like this setup, and the mounting brackets wrapping the windshield hinges making it VERY smooth, but they only make it for the JK. They don't even offer it for the TJ, so thought I'd ask your thoughts on building one. If you feel froggy, send me a PM with an estimate and we can decide if it's worth it.
jstman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2013, 06:53 AM   #1890
TURBevO8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Can you send me the latest pricing info? I think this is the year to finally get one of these!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.