Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier Follow Along - Page 125 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier Follow Along

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Reply
Unread 12-08-2012, 01:17 PM   #1861
Harold_Ray
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Waco, Texas
Posts: 161
Quote:
Man! I used to see those Coatimundis everywhere when I was down in Panama. I didn't know we had them here in the States.

So, what were you gonna do with that dead one? You know, they taste like chicken..
Eddie,

We have breeding populations down here. I am in Waco, and the dead one came from 3 miles west of my clinic. 'Course, there's a little bit of everything as far as wildlife around here and more coming, and then there's the animals , deer, mountain lions, Mexican eagles, bald eagles, etc., etc. I took the dead one out to the place and buried it. I didn't want it laying in the road.

Ray

Harold_Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 02:48 PM   #1862
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER
 
BESRK's Avatar
1980 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 12,271
A buddy of mine was down in Panama too.. we were talking about this the other day. He was also unaware we had them in the States... interesting.
__________________
'80 CJ5 w/AMC360, T176, D44 w/Detroit 4.56, RE 4" YJ lift and 35s..

Ground Pounder Fab


Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #1863
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER
 
BESRK's Avatar
1980 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 12,271
Dang swingarm got me today..

We use a holesaw to "notch" the end of the swingarms to fit up tight against the swingarm pivot tube. This leaves a razor sharp edge where the hole saw goes thru the tube. I had one of the arms leaning against the wall and accidently bumped it. As it started to fall over, I grabbed it without thinking.. slamming my palm down on the sharp end..

Brushed on a bunch of Liquid Bandage but I don't think it's working.. Ended up fixing it with some gauze and duct tape..
__________________
'80 CJ5 w/AMC360, T176, D44 w/Detroit 4.56, RE 4" YJ lift and 35s..

Ground Pounder Fab


Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #1864
8pitcher
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wellsville, Kansas
Posts: 4,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK
Dang swingarm got me today..

We use a holesaw to "notch" the end of the swingarms to fit up tight against the swingarm pivot tube. This leaves a razor sharp edge where the hole saw goes thru the tube. I had one of the arms leaning against the wall and accidently bumped it. As it started to fall over, I grabbed it without thinking.. slamming my palm down on the sharp end..

Brushed on a bunch of Liquid Bandage but I don't think it's working.. Ended up fixing it with some gauze and duct tape..
Ouch. Superglue.
__________________
Built Not Bought #640[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2012, 11:04 PM   #1865
jstman
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bentonville, AR
Posts: 51
WOW!! Hope it's not too deep!
jstman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #1866
Jeepinjas
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 94
I would continue to use the liquid bandage. I had almost the same cut as you and my wife forced me to go to the hospital. At the hospital they cleaned it up a bit and then told me it was a really tough place for stitches and proceeded to put the liquid crap on it. I have great insurance, but the out of pocket was still $800 for something I could have done at home. I told my wife next time unless my hand is cut off I am taking care of it with duct tape myself!!!
Jeepinjas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 01:52 PM   #1867
tdkask
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: St. Marys / Kingsland / Kings Bay GA, GA
Posts: 553
That sucks. Those are the ones that keep hurting and are in the way for a while, too... making it difficult to ever get anything done.
__________________
USN Jeep Club Hull #135 (Retired USN 1992-2012)
'80 CJ7__258, TF999, D300__'86 CJ WT D44/D30's(3.54s)__GPF custom front/rear bumpers
4" springs__33x15s on black steelies__Galaxy DX959 CB__Cage (built onto YJ "family" bar)
tdkask is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #1868
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER
 
BESRK's Avatar
1980 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 12,271
Actually, it only hurt for a split second when I first cut it. The steel was so sharp it cut it quick and clean.. like a scalpel..


I've just been painting on the liquid bandage, covering with a big bandaid, and wrapping in Duct Tape while at the shop. At home, I just use a bandaid and ACE wrap.


I think I'll pick up a suture kit and watch a few YouTube videos for the next time..
__________________
'80 CJ5 w/AMC360, T176, D44 w/Detroit 4.56, RE 4" YJ lift and 35s..

Ground Pounder Fab


Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 11:12 PM   #1869
WSS
Web Wheeler
1972 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chino, Ca
Posts: 2,046
We carry a "minor surgery" military kit while wheeling, They have a few sizes of sutures in it. Here are some fresh sutures to add to a kit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160934026866...84.m1423.l2649

For many years I made knives, both folding and fixed. I kept a roll of electrical tape hanging on a nail next to the buffer and belt grinder. It always had an inch or two pulled out with the end folder over to make "one handed" use of it. I learned that from an old timer, I can't remember his name. In the knife shop, it is those two machines that required 100 percent focus, A blade could be out of your hand and headed toward you at a very fast clip in no time at all! I used that electrical tape a few times.

Hope everyone had a MERRY CHRISTMAS
and a "safe" New Year!
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 11:43 PM   #1870
8pitcher
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wellsville, Kansas
Posts: 4,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS
We carry a "minor surgery" military kit while wheeling, They have a few sizes of sutures in it. Here are some fresh sutures to add to a kit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160934026866...84.m1423.l2649

For many years I made knives, both folding and fixed. I kept a roll of electrical tape hanging on a nail next to the buffer and belt grinder. It always had an inch or two pulled out with the end folder over to make "one handed" use of it. I learned that from an old timer, I can't remember his name. In the knife shop, it is those two machines that required 100 percent focus, A blade could be out of your hand and headed toward you at a very fast clip in no time at all! I used that electrical tape a few times.

Hope everyone had a MERRY CHRISTMAS
and a "safe" New Year!
We have been looking for a suture kit. My dogs runs through barbed wire fences like it is nothing and she cuts herself deep but she doesn't seem to feel pain. But we sew her up everytime she does it. I think we have done it at least 4 times with just a normal needle and thread. The hard part about it is she gets so excited she won't lay still so my whole family will pin her down for the stitches.
__________________
Built Not Bought #640[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #1871
triangleman29
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pueblo West, CO
Posts: 123
Great thread! Some good ideas on here for sure. I still can't believe I just went through 125 pages....
triangleman29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 09:41 PM   #1872
tdkask
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: St. Marys / Kingsland / Kings Bay GA, GA
Posts: 553
Hey Eddie. How's it going? Hope you had a good holiday. Also hope lots of people got GPF bumpers for Christmas.

I'm helping a buddy build a rear bumper for a TJ down here (in GA/FL, where I moved to) and we referenced mine that you build a lot, as well as this thread. Lots of differences because we used what we had available, but very solid. Anyway, I know I've seen it here in this thread somewhere, but are you buying the spindle and sleeve somewhere or are you machining them? Thanks.
Dave

Also, is your phone number still the same (757-xxx-xx81)?
__________________
USN Jeep Club Hull #135 (Retired USN 1992-2012)
'80 CJ7__258, TF999, D300__'86 CJ WT D44/D30's(3.54s)__GPF custom front/rear bumpers
4" springs__33x15s on black steelies__Galaxy DX959 CB__Cage (built onto YJ "family" bar)
tdkask is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #1873
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER
 
BESRK's Avatar
1980 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 12,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdkask View Post
Hey Eddie. How's it going? Hope you had a good holiday. Also hope lots of people got GPF bumpers for Christmas.

I'm helping a buddy build a rear bumper for a TJ down here (in GA/FL, where I moved to) and we referenced mine that you build a lot, as well as this thread. Lots of differences because we used what we had available, but very solid. Anyway, I know I've seen it here in this thread somewhere, but are you buying the spindle and sleeve somewhere or are you machining them? Thanks.
Dave

Also, is your phone number still the same (757-xxx-xx81)?
Hey Dave!

I get my 1.375" diameter spindles HERE.

I bore my own tubes and make my aluminum caps on my lathe.. manually..

JCR has a kit with the same spindle size.. AtoZ has their MegaSpindle setup.. I don't sell spindle kits anymore because they take me too long to make. Can hardly keep up with making them for my own bumpers at the moment. I actually crank out my pivot tubes on my lunch break...
__________________
'80 CJ5 w/AMC360, T176, D44 w/Detroit 4.56, RE 4" YJ lift and 35s..

Ground Pounder Fab


Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 02:13 AM   #1874
VME
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: , Ga
Posts: 245
Wow these bumpers look awesome. I have heard so much good about them. Can I get a price for a regular rear bumper with d-ring mounts and 2" receiver priced to 30518? And also a price for a tire carrier as well? Can't make up my mind if I want to leave my spare in the bed all the time or not.
VME is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 06:24 AM   #1875
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER
 
BESRK's Avatar
1980 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 12,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by VME View Post
Wow these bumpers look awesome. I have heard so much good about them. Can I get a price for a regular rear bumper with d-ring mounts and 2" receiver priced to 30518? And also a price for a tire carrier as well? Can't make up my mind if I want to leave my spare in the bed all the time or not.
Thanks for the interest and kind words!

... just sent you a PM with some info..
__________________
'80 CJ5 w/AMC360, T176, D44 w/Detroit 4.56, RE 4" YJ lift and 35s..

Ground Pounder Fab


Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.