Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier Follow Along - Page 124 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier Follow Along

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 11-28-2012, 07:18 AM   #1846
zboss86
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1982cj8 View Post
I bought my plasti dip at Ace Hardware, a small bottle that would do that handle 10-12 times for about 8.00.
That's cool, everything I saw was in gallon containers and cost about ~$75. I'll keep that in mind.

zboss86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2012, 12:21 PM   #1847
Harold_Ray

You weren't making bumpers for my Jeep a couple of years ago, so I bought a Garvin through Quadratec. The latch they have is simple, effective, and so far it has stood up to everything I have thrown at it.

Texas Coatimundi

Texas Coatimundi that didn't make it across the highway

I drilled a hole through the latch base and bumper so I could lock the system down to prevent theft. I realize many of you make your own; I don't. I am a Texas veterinarian who fixes animals, and not trucks or Jeeps!

Ray
Harold_Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #1848
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Thanks for posting those Ray! I like that latch setup.

Man! I used to see those Coatimundis everywhere when I was down in Panama. I didn't know we had them here in the States.

So, what were you gonna do with that dead one? You know, they taste like chicken..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2012, 10:57 PM   #1849
Jevy
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
Got an unplanned day off at my dayjob due to the Hurricane. So.. went to the shop. Been wanting to do a viable axe and shovel mount but wasn't sure where I was going to find any real estate with my current gas can and Hi Lift mounts..

Ended up revamping my Hi Lift Mount so that it mounts the Jack on one side, and the Axe/Shovel on the other side.

Basically widened my current Hi Lift Mount and added provisions for bolting Quickfist clamps to the back side..

Side view.. with the gas can mount in place, there's actually quite a bit of space for the axe/shovel.

Here it is with the Rotopax mount I did a while back..
Eddie,

I finally got my stationary carrier mounted today. For those that don't know I have a fiberglass tub so I opted to first build a JCR DIY bumper then weld up a stationary tire mount using Ground pounder fab tire mounts, hi lift mount, and rotopax mount. I sure hope I never get a flat. Picking up that 35" tire would be a problem by myself.

question on the hi lift mount. Do you try to mount it lower or do you actually mount yours at this height? I hope to put my hi lift carrier/rotopax carrier on tomorrow.

My M416 with Roof Top Tent [URL="http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/84244-Jevy-s-humble-M-416-build-thread"]Build[/URL] Thread
Jevy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2012, 06:38 AM   #1850
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I mount it as high as I can. That way, it clears the jacking mechanism and keeps the base plate from hitting the pivot tube cap.

It's kind of late now, but I would've mocked up the gas can and Hi Lift mounts before settling on your actual tire mount. If you look at how I mount the gas can, it sits down in between the tub and spare tire. That requires the tire to be slid out in the adjustable mount. You have your tire hard mounted really close to the tub. That might make it tough to find the real estate to mount the Gas Can Mount in there. You may be able to mount it up above the tub, but that would shove it into the Jeep's top.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 12-03-2012, 08:32 AM   #1851
IL_Bow_Man
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I did something very similar with the latch. Main difference is that I mounted it at angle to pull down and back...reduce rattle as much as possible.

IL_Bow_Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #1852
Jevy
1984 CJ7 

Eddie,

I just went out to try to put the high lift/rotopax mounts on and have a few problems.

1. My tubing used to build the carrier is too wide to use the metal strips to secure it to the carrier(totally my fault). If I can figure out a way for it to work I can always just weld it on.

2. I can mount the hi lift horizontal under the tire where it is now.

3. I REALLY want the rotopax to work but just don't see a way unless I relocate the tail lights and put them flush mounted in the bumper. I'm not sure I can even do that (between clearances inside the bumper and the tools/skills I have here.

any suggestions because I'm really disappointed I can't make both mounts work. Almost to the point of where I'm tempted to just cut it off and start over.

thoughts????

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
I mount it as high as I can. That way, it clears the jacking mechanism and keeps the base plate from hitting the pivot tube cap.

It's kind of late now, but I would've mocked up the gas can and Hi Lift mounts before settling on your actual tire mount. If you look at how I mount the gas can, it sits down in between the tub and spare tire. That requires the tire to be slid out in the adjustable mount. You have your tire hard mounted really close to the tub. That might make it tough to find the real estate to mount the Gas Can Mount in there. You may be able to mount it up above the tub, but that would shove it into the Jeep's top.

My M416 with Roof Top Tent [URL="http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/84244-Jevy-s-humble-M-416-build-thread"]Build[/URL] Thread
Unread 12-03-2012, 06:57 PM   #1853
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Can you just extend your tire mount out a little? Maybe lop just the tire mount off and do an adjustable system similar to mine? I just use a 2" Receiver tube at the top of the "A" Frame. I then drill a piece of approx 10" tube (2" square tube) with 5/8" holes spaced about an inch apart. That allows it to be slid in/out to accomodate accessories.

It shouldn't be too difficult to add the upper receiver.

Don't be frustrated.. it's not that big of a modification..

Another (more involved) option.. would be to weld a 2" square tube across the top of the "A" Frame.. something that sticks out to the side far enough to allow the gas can to be mounted "next" to the tire? Here's a crappy paintbrush drawing.. as seen from above, looking down.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 12-03-2012, 08:24 PM   #1854
Jevy
1984 CJ7 

I don't think that will work because it's going to block the tail lights. I honestly don't know what to do. I may drop the tire off tomorrow and extend the arm holding the tire out a couple inches(mocking up everything first this time). I was trying to keep it as close to the jeep so it wouldn't be putting so much leverage on the back.

Unread 12-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #1855
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I hear ya on keeping the tire close... but real estate is real estate.

Gas cans either have to go between tub and tire, be mounted beside the tire, be mounted above the tire, or be mounted behind the tire. You really just have to pick one of those place, and make it happen.

One of the hard lessons I learned doing metal fabrication.. work backwards. You really want to see the finished product in your mind... and work backwards from the "problem areas" first.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 12-05-2012, 01:01 AM   #1856
Zjones1994
1998 TJ Wrangler 

BESRK, Im about to start a build of a tire carrier close to this, using a2z fab spindle and tire plate, and i was planning on just using 2x5 (i have cheap access to it due to work) and was wondering if you knew if it would work the same as 2x4 and i was also wondering about adding a rubber isolator as mentioned earlier in the thread (i didnt read the whole thing due to its size, sorry) to stop vibrations. Also was the bimetal hole saw used to drill the 2x2 tubing to fit around the hinge or am i missing something? Thanks in advance!
[COLOR="Navy"]USN Hull #233[/COLOR]
[U]Check out my build![/U]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/teenagers-slow-but-steady-build-1347318/"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/teenagers-slow-but-steady-build-1347318/[/URL]
Zjones1994 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2012, 06:47 AM   #1857
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zjones1994 View Post
BESRK, Im about to start a build of a tire carrier close to this, using a2z fab spindle and tire plate, and i was planning on just using 2x5 (i have cheap access to it due to work) and was wondering if you knew if it would work the same as 2x4 and i was also wondering about adding a rubber isolator as mentioned earlier in the thread (i didnt read the whole thing due to its size, sorry) to stop vibrations. Also was the bimetal hole saw used to drill the 2x2 tubing to fit around the hinge or am i missing something? Thanks in advance!
The 2x5 works well for a rear bumper. If the swingarm pivot spindle only has a 4" shank, it can be slid into a piece of tube and the tube can be used as an extension.. not sure how long the shank is on Zach's spindles.

Even without using any rubber bumpers, my swingarm doesn't rattle. It locks down pretty tight into the latch mount.

We use a hole saw to "cope" the end of the swingarm.. mounting the arm in the mill and running the hole saw all the way thru it. However, I've also done a few hundred swingarms using a grinder to "cope" the end.. takes less than a minute..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 12-05-2012, 02:52 PM   #1858
jamesdart
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

a lot of great info here. i bought the atoz hinge and shackle mounts, and the synergy latch to start the bumper and swingout for my wagoneer. i was going to use 4x2x1/4 with 2x2 for the swingout, but i have some 4" pipe and end caps im thinking of using for the bumper/air storage tank, and some 1 7/8 od hand rail to use for the swingout.
jamesdart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #1859
aresfab
Vendor
1998 TJ Wrangler 

We use Zach's spindle all the time. Make sure you upgrade to the larger chromoly version. They are the best. Plus the are 5"long.

Check out our bumpers, sliders, roof racks and other Jeep off road parts.

Check out our thread that lets you know what we are doing around our shop.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/a...-shop-1760306/

Web site http://www.aresfab.com

Shop number 847.780.6665

Like us on Facebook!
[/CENTER]
aresfab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2012, 09:51 AM   #1860
jstman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Eddie... Do you have a website or something where I can see your bumpers and how much various options will cost? I looked on Ebay, but only saw targets and some DIY stuff.

I've got a 2005 TJ and am looking for some upgrades.

1-I'm looking for a Rear Bumper with Swingout, Hi-Jack mount, and maybe a couple of Jerry Cans.
2-I'm also looking for a front bumper, but I'd like more of a pre-runner style similar to the one below from Rugged Ridge with Shackle mounts.
- I will need a winch plate, Shackle Mounts, and some light mounts, but the lights in the bumper are not necessary.
- Also not looking for a modular setup. A single piece is preferred.
3-Lastly, I also would like a set of Rock Rails that can be used as jack points for the hi-jack.

Can you shoot me a price for individual purchases? Please itemize shipping separate from the price of each item, as I may be vacationing in your area and I could pick them up while I'm out there. Cash in hand always works well.

Please feel free to PM me or post a link to your website if you have one.

Shannon T.
prerunner-bumper.jpg  
jstman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.