Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier Follow Along - Page 111 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier Follow Along

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 02-21-2012, 02:33 PM   #1651
jeepercj8
1983 CJ8 

bumper thickness?

Hey, I'm questioning the thickness on the reaer and front bumpers, do I use 1/8 thick or 3/16 or 1/4 inch for the bumpers and 1/8 for the tire mount and is it thick enough and strong enough? I just called my steel warehouse and they have all the stuff I need to get started but I was just wondering is thicker better or is it too heavy? So with that what is the thickness I should use?

jeepercj8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2012, 04:08 PM   #1652
tdkask

BESRK, I was thinking today... several people ask me about my bumpers, especially the custom one you built for the front, and I always tell them where it cam from and try to send them your way. I was thinking that you should have an option for some sort of branding. If mine had a plasma cut plate or at least a sticker I'd proudly rock it. Just a thought.

USN Jeep Club Hull #135 (Retired USN 1992-2012)
'80 CJ7__258, TF999, D300__'86 CJ WT D44/D30's(3.54s)__GPF custom front/rear bumpers
4" springs__33x15s on black steelies__Galaxy DX959 CB__Cage (built onto YJ "family" bar)
tdkask is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #1653
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdkask View Post
BESRK, I was thinking today... several people ask me about my bumpers, especially the custom one you built for the front, and I always tell them where it cam from and try to send them your way. I was thinking that you should have an option for some sort of branding. If mine had a plasma cut plate or at least a sticker I'd proudly rock it. Just a thought.

I know it goes both ways with the "branding".. some people are turned off by advertising. I actually had someone send me a set of rock sliders (from a very well-known manufacturer) simply to cut out the laser cut logo.. and graft in a piece of plate to erase all signs of the logo.

I just got a new batch of business cards made so I'll probably throw a card into every box that ships out from now on. I will also look into some smallish stickers at some point. If someone wants to slap it on their bumper (or rig), they'll be able to do that. I'd at least like to leave it up to the customer.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2012, 07:05 PM   #1654
JPcpa
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Ever see those peel off business cards? You could combine your card with a sticker to put on the bumper ?
JPcpa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2012, 07:29 PM   #1655
tdkask

You make a good point. The first week I had my CJ it drove like crap because of the 4" lift on 33's and stock pittman arm. I didn't have a socket or impact at the time and my massive adjustable wrench was going to snap something before the nut gave way... I took it to a local 4WD shop just to get the pittman arm swapped with parts I already had... they actually stuck a decal on my back window. I took it off in their lot while they watched. But I'd love a GPF badge on my bumpers... lol.
USN Jeep Club Hull #135 (Retired USN 1992-2012)
'80 CJ7__258, TF999, D300__'86 CJ WT D44/D30's(3.54s)__GPF custom front/rear bumpers
4" springs__33x15s on black steelies__Galaxy DX959 CB__Cage (built onto YJ "family" bar)
tdkask is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2012, 09:55 AM   #1656
GREASEMONKEY
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK

I know it goes both ways with the "branding".. some people are turned off by advertising. I actually had someone send me a set of rock sliders (from a very well-known manufacturer) simply to cut out the laser cut logo.. and graft in a piece of plate to erase all signs of the logo..
I have actually had quite a few requests for the same thing lately!
My Ammo Can Console
------------------------------------------------------
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
GREASEMONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2012, 05:37 PM   #1657
aresfab
Vendor
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ya. Me too.

Check out our bumpers, sliders, roof racks and other Jeep off road parts.

Check out our thread that lets you know what we are doing around our shop.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/a...-shop-1760306/

Web site http://www.aresfab.com

Shop number 847.780.6665

Like us on Facebook!
[/CENTER]
aresfab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2012, 07:32 PM   #1658
JPcpa
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I just tell everyone they are Smittybuilt. .
JPcpa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2012, 11:22 AM   #1659
steelhead9
1984 CJ7 

Bumper/carrier for CJ7--Factory unit for sale.

Hey BESRK,

Those are some great looking swing out bumper/carriers. I have the factory unit on my 84 CJ7 that the PO added a trail rack to--good idea but doesn't work with the hard top, can't open it-- which I intend to leave on most of the time.

How much for the rear bumper with swing out shipped to 95124? Thanks for all your service to the country and your design/engineering and hard work to make a great product.

And if anyone is looking for a factory swing out for a CJ7 let me know.
steelhead9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2012, 12:12 PM   #1660
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
I know it goes both ways with the "branding".. some people are turned off by advertising. I actually had someone send me a set of rock sliders (from a very well-known manufacturer) simply to cut out the laser cut logo.. and graft in a piece of plate to erase all signs of the logo.

I just got a new batch of business cards made so I'll probably throw a card into every box that ships out from now on. I will also look into some smallish stickers at some point. If someone wants to slap it on their bumper (or rig), they'll be able to do that. I'd at least like to leave it up to the customer.
I completely agree. I don't like having the logo of a shop or company all over my jeep.

Now that I am learning how to weld, I'm gonna fill in the M on my metal cloak fenders
Unread 03-04-2012, 03:20 AM   #1661
redstick13
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsluggers1 View Post
Where did you order the spring loaded pin from?

Looks as if this is the place.

http://www.reidsupply.com/sku/BSD-45/
redstick13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2012, 08:37 AM   #1662
Harold_Ray

Personally, I think a well cut (plasma cut) logo looks okay to great, depending on placement and how well the work is done. I've got one on one of my Garvin racks and hadn't thought about it until reading this part of the thread. In my opinion, there is absolutely nothing wrong with branding. If a person or company makes a product, its just natural to do a little advertising for their good work.

If branding is in good taste and well done, as with plasma cut metal brands, they are certainly okay with me. If I was building the great bumpers Besrk does, I definitely would be branding them. Why not; that stimulates sales.
Harold_Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #1663
Stretch2121
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Just picked up my Ground Pounder swingout from Eddie, who hung out late at the shop til I got there...Thanks again! It was great to meet you & check out your operation.

Time for me to get this thing painted. Looking for input on the best way to accomplish (type paint, etc). I know there were several techniques posted, but with such a long thread, it would take some time to locate.

Thanks in advance! Will post pic's on completion.
Stretch2121 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2012, 04:55 PM   #1664
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch2121 View Post
Just picked up my Ground Pounder swingout from Eddie, who hung out late at the shop til I got there...Thanks again! It was great to meet you & check out your operation.

Time for me to get this thing painted. Looking for input on the best way to accomplish (type paint, etc). I know there were several techniques posted, but with such a long thread, it would take some time to locate.

Thanks in advance! Will post pic's on completion.
The least I could do for someone flying in and driving down from out of state!!

My take on painting these things.. I normally just shoot my own stuff with Rustoleum.

I go over the welds with a small wire brush to clean them up.. then scuff everything with a 3M Green Pad. Next, I use a Phosphoric Acid Based Product (like Metal Etch, Must for Rust, Ospho..etc.) in a spray bottle and spray everything down.. keeping the acid "wet" (don't let it dry). After a couple minutes, I rinse with water and blow dry with air (hair dryer would probably do). Once everything is dry, I scuff off any powdery residue with a 3M pad and then wipe everything down with degreaser (Acetone, Lacquer Thinner..etc.). I then shoot 2-3 coats of "Self-Etching" primer (following the directions on the can for recoat times). After that, I shoot 2-3 coats of paint and call it good.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2012, 06:13 PM   #1665
Stretch2121
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Eddie...I'm on it.
Stretch2121 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.