Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier Follow Along - Page 108 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier Follow Along

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 01-28-2012, 06:32 PM   #1606
midnight_f150
2002 TJ Wrangler 

That looks awesome Eddie! When I get my tax return I want one with the new style pin. Keep up the great work Eddie.

midnight_f150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2012, 09:22 PM   #1607
cwsluggers1
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
Has been a few years since I made any substantial changes in the design but I've been messing with something for a couple weeks...

It's always kind of bugged me to use a "hitch pin" for the swingarm locking pin. They do the job but just look kind of "cheaper" than I'd like. A while back, I started making DIY Fire Extinguisher Mounts using a "Spring Loaded Pull Pin".

From the moment I opened the package and put the first one together, I thought about using them on the swingarm.

So.. I ordered a "lockable" pull pin (locks in the "up" position) with a 1/2" pin and the longest barrel body I could find, and came up with this setup. I've used it on a few bumpers already and really like it. You can lock it in the up position for quick opening/closing of the swingarm.. or you can leave it in the down position and it will lock automatically after going up a short ramp. This will eliminate the pin from dragging all the way around on the old washer setup I used previously.

Here's the barrel body welded to the swingarm. I cut a small spacer on the Plasma Table to provide a little bit of "standoff" for the pin.. so the knob doesn't hit the swingarm..

I cut the combination "positive stop/lock" from 3/8" plate on the plasma table. Maybe I'll call it "J-Lock"..

Here's the pin body when removed from the barrel body.. all you have to do for assembly, is screw this thing in. No more roll pin/hitch pin/spring, and grinding the tube for the hitch pin.. this thing is slick..

Here's how the pin swings into place.. it hits the "J-lock" and begins to ramp up..

Once the pin goes over the top of the ramp, it drops down (spring loaded) into the slot to lock the swingarm open. At the same time, the barrel body hits the back of the "J-Lock" to provide a positive stop.. helping to prevent bending the pin in case you swing the arm open a little too aggressively.

Overall, I think it looks better, won't scrape up as much paint, and is easier to figure out.. than my previous hitch pin setup.
Where did you order the spring loaded pin from?
cwsluggers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2012, 06:27 AM   #1608
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Fixture Works

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2012, 04:20 PM   #1609
dkrajcovic
1998 TJ Wrangler 

can you make a grill hoop for a tj like this
i would like one like this
also price shipped to me
Thanks Danny

grill-hoop.jpg
dkrajcovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 05:54 AM   #1610
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrajcovic View Post
can you make a grill hoop for a tj like this
i would like one like this
also price shipped to me
Thanks Danny

Attachment 337931
If I had a TJ in the shop, I could measure it out and bend one.. but I don't expect any Jeeps in the shop in the near future.. probaby for at least a month or more..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 01-30-2012, 09:48 AM   #1611
dkrajcovic
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If I had a TJ in the shop, I could measure it out and bend one.. but I don't expect any Jeeps in the shop in the near future.. probaby for at least a month or more..
OK thanks
dkrajcovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #1612
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Eddie,

Your new design is brilliant. Your old hitch pin was extremely effective, but yeah, this is a little "cleaner". Both the old design and the new one look great.

How exactly does this pin stay in the locked (up) position?
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 10:37 AM   #1613
TURBevO8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Love the new pin design! Glad I waited on one of these. Hopefully in March after tax return I can finally get one.
Unread 01-30-2012, 05:51 PM   #1614
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatepper View Post
Eddie,

Your new design is brilliant. Your old hitch pin was extremely effective, but yeah, this is a little "cleaner". Both the old design and the new one look great.

How exactly does this pin stay in the locked (up) position?
Jeremy, it's kind of hard to explain but really simple in design actually. There is a small roll pin that goes thru the main pin.. about 1/2" down from the knob. On the top of the big hex nut, there are 2 sets of machined slots (90deg from each other). Rotate to one slot and it allows the pin to slide all the way down. The other set of slots is only about 1/8" deep and keeps the pin in the "up" position.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 01-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #1615
grebva3
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Pure and simple genius!

Looking for a New Center Console TJ 5spd Manual[/B]
grebva3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 10:38 PM   #1616
Glockem

2008 JK Wrangler 

Good Job!

Quote:
You know.. I trust my life to my work (having built my own rear frame, suspension work..etc.) but I hate to put other's lives in my hands. I've had enough of that in the Army. All I want to do now is relax, melt some metal together, grind it into shape, and enjoy the finished product. If I can make a few extra bucks on ths side.. all the better (and trust me, with the price of steel, it's not easy to clear much profit building 1/4" thick bumpers#. If, god forbid, someone tows with one of my bumpers and there is a mishap resulting in damage, injury, or <gulp> death.. I'm finished. I would probably lose everything... #not to mention the poor victim!#. So, officially... my bumpers aren't for towing.. the receiver is for "recovery use only."
Hi Besrk, beautiful work, looks great. I'll look for you at Rousch Creek. I like the video of Tellico. The last time I was at that trail slick rock, there were a lot less rocks. I went a few times, did you ever stay at "Hanging Dog" camp grounds? The years I went there, 1989/1992, Awsome mountain climbs.
Unread 02-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #1617
o2tj

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Got them all painted and installed today! Was good seeing you and Rob on sun... we need to hang out more!

o2tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2012, 05:31 AM   #1618
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Hey Rick!! Niiice! Was good hanging out on Sunday.. it really is nice to break the routine once in a while. Sometimes, Rob and I will get in a groove and hardly speak to each other all day.. just welding and grinding..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 02-03-2012, 10:06 AM   #1619
TURBevO8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

More pics of that front bumper please! Maybe one from the side to see how tall it is and how far it sticks out in front?
Unread 02-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #1620
o2tj

2001 XJ Cherokee 

o2tj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.