Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier Follow Along - Page 107 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier Follow Along

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineZone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and C

Unread 01-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #1591
midnight_f150
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPcpa View Post
I had the corner ext on my Tj and now on my LJ. I recommend them. Look good and add protection.
the antenna tab is on the swing arm face by the pivot point. No antenna on mine yet.
Attachment 324984
Thank you for the info and picture.

midnight_f150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #1592
hallway94yj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdkask View Post
pics?
Here are some random pics of it..

hallway94yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 08:27 PM   #1593
Jeepinjas
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have had mine for a few years and it has been through some of the toughest trails in the Midwest and East Coast and never rattled or had any problems at all. I had him make mine a little taller to keep 38"s up in the air for a better departure angle and to allow room for my pintle hitch as I also tow a M416 trailer without a problem.

I like the extra quarter panel protection. I have seen several TJ's come down hard on rocks in that area or even kicked up from the rear tire. For the extra cost it is cheap insurance. I have come down hard on the bumper a couple of times and it have only managed to scratch the paint.

Picture from last weekend.

Older picture showing the side portion.

Jeepinjas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2012, 10:54 AM   #1594
kkcshipp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I received my bumper/tire carrier on Thursday from Eddie and had a 3-day weekend to get it squared away. I even bought a heater for my garage so I could paint the rascal and get it on my TJ. All I can say is WOW what a product. Will post pics as soon as I get enough posts and an account on flicker or whatever it is. Bought the clevis' from Tractor Supply. My wife also thought this was one cool Jeep purchase well worth the $.
kkcshipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #1595
tdkask

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkcshipp View Post
...My wife also thought this was one cool Jeep purchase well worth the $.
Well there you go... all the endorsement one could hope for. Mine NEVER thinks any of my purchases for the Jeep are wise... lol... and gets exceptionally nervous when I talk about going to Eddie's these days, as does my kid (lol... inside joke). Still, they will be the last parts left of my Jeep, I'm sure... and will eventually save her from following me all the way from VA to FL with the built in tow assembly.
USN Jeep Club Hull #135 (Retired USN 1992-2012)
'80 CJ7__258, TF999, D300__'86 CJ WT D44/D30's(3.54s)__GPF custom front/rear bumpers
4" springs__33x15s on black steelies__Galaxy DX959 CB__Cage (built onto YJ "family" bar)
tdkask is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2012, 08:01 AM   #1596
grebva3
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I can't wait to purchase a front bumper from him! I have had a bumper/swing away for three + years GREAT product and Eddie is great to deal with he even explained to me how to put things together

Looking for a New Center Console TJ 5spd Manual[/B]
grebva3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2012, 06:24 PM   #1597
vancamp
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My Homemade Bumper

started a bumper project for my 04 got the bumper built and epoxy primed gotta build the tire carrier now. the bumper started out as 3/16 3x4 rectangular 1"x2" for d ring mounts, and 1/4" plate for the mounts. probaly gonna shoot it with bedliner i need a bit more metal before i can start the tire carrier so it will be a week or two before i get to that. [IMG][/IMG]http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i382/heathvancamp/2012-01-16_07-34-04_701.jpg[/IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]
vancamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2012, 03:14 PM   #1598
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Nice! Good job on blending all those angles.. the lines look clean and crisp.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2012, 06:47 PM   #1599
vancamp
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
Nice! Good job on blending all those angles.. the lines look clean and crisp.
Thanks ispent quite a bit of time getting them like i wanted them.
vancamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2012, 11:13 PM   #1600
metomwhou
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I put this bumper on way back in the summer, just now getting around to posting the pics! I've been all over the Hayman burn area out near Divide/Terryall and have come down on this thing more than once....No issues so far, no rattles either. The only thing that's not perfect is that I bent the bottom gasket on the swing out but it holds grease and hasn't given me any problems.
img_0107.jpg   img_0110.jpg   img_0109.jpg   img_0106.jpg  

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopthevoices77 View Post
I tried that once. My wife got pissed! I now know not to post muff pics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndogduff View Post
This is the internet sweetie. Guys are guys, girls are guys, and girls that wanna meet up in real life are FBI agents.
metomwhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2012, 11:29 AM   #1601
JPcpa
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Looks good. Once suggestion, I was able to slide the spare mount in enough to put a locking pin through a hole on the front side of the square tube mount.

The puts the tire tight against the swing arm and eliminates any flex (which was not much) and gets the tire closer to the tub.

I've got a 285 KM2, so a 12.50 33 may not work, but a 31 should.
JPcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #1602
grebva3
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Great idea, I will do that my self, thanks.

Looking for a New Center Console TJ 5spd Manual[/B]
grebva3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2012, 10:05 PM   #1603
yellow04tj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

107 pages in three days! I have a lot of notes and I'm ready to build my bumper and tire carrier.
yellow04tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2012, 03:59 PM   #1604
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Has been a few years since I made any substantial changes in the design but I've been messing with something for a couple weeks...

It's always kind of bugged me to use a "hitch pin" for the swingarm locking pin. They do the job but just look kind of "cheaper" than I'd like. A while back, I started making DIY Fire Extinguisher Mounts using a "Spring Loaded Pull Pin".

From the moment I opened the package and put the first one together, I thought about using them on the swingarm.

So.. I ordered a "lockable" pull pin (locks in the "up" position) with a 1/2" pin and the longest barrel body I could find, and came up with this setup. I've used it on a few bumpers already and really like it. You can lock it in the up position for quick opening/closing of the swingarm.. or you can leave it in the down position and it will lock automatically after going up a short ramp. This will eliminate the pin from dragging all the way around on the old washer setup I used previously.

Here's the barrel body welded to the swingarm. I cut a small spacer on the Plasma Table to provide a little bit of "standoff" for the pin.. so the knob doesn't hit the swingarm..

I cut the combination "positive stop/lock" from 3/8" plate on the plasma table. Maybe I'll call it "J-Lock"..

Here's the pin body when removed from the barrel body.. all you have to do for assembly, is screw this thing in. No more roll pin/hitch pin/spring, and grinding the tube for the hitch pin.. this thing is slick..

Here's how the pin swings into place.. it hits the "J-lock" and begins to ramp up..

Once the pin goes over the top of the ramp, it drops down (spring loaded) into the slot to lock the swingarm open. At the same time, the barrel body hits the back of the "J-Lock" to provide a positive stop.. helping to prevent bending the pin in case you swing the arm open a little too aggressively.

Overall, I think it looks better, won't scrape up as much paint, and is easier to figure out.. than my previous hitch pin setup.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2012, 04:13 PM   #1605
tdkask

That's really cool. Makes me want a whole new bumper.
USN Jeep Club Hull #135 (Retired USN 1992-2012)
'80 CJ7__258, TF999, D300__'86 CJ WT D44/D30's(3.54s)__GPF custom front/rear bumpers
4" springs__33x15s on black steelies__Galaxy DX959 CB__Cage (built onto YJ "family" bar)
tdkask is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.