Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier Follow Along - Page 106 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier Follow Along

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 12-28-2011, 01:54 PM   #1576
glap1922
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
Thanks for the kind words fellas!! It was a "custom" bumper. I still need to work out some issues before I make it a "production" piece but it shouldn't be too far down the road.

I just want to make sure I have it right before sending it out there. With local wheelers, if there's an issue, they can swing by the shop and we can address it on the spot. They are my "beta testers". Once you start shipping them out.. it's a whole different ball game. So for the time being, I'm only doing that newer one for the local crowd.. at least for a month or two..
Is that bumper still in the local only stages, or have you upgraded it to production? Your stuff is great!

glap1922 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2011, 03:22 PM   #1577
tdkask

Got my new GPF bumper on Monday... yesterday was too rainy to get pics. It's Eddies "standard" CJ shorty (48") w/recessed hitch receiver and clevis mounts, with winch plate. Its modded to hold a custom tow bar so I can pull behind camper/moving truck, etc and folds up to double as a trail stinger. Not everyone will like the looks of it for daily use, but I think it rocks and love it's dual use. Basically the diaginal braces were tubing with heims in place.

Once again, he built exactly what I was hoping for, but more. Thanks again, Eddie.

click image for larger view

It should be noted that Eddie is not responsible for my crappy paint job, the lack of paint in a couple spots, or the dirt that is already on the bumper. Like I said, it was raining yesterday.

Also, as mentioned above, I mounted my tag with a bracket that is in the receiver. the mount was also GPF-made.
USN Jeep Club Hull #135 (Retired USN 1992-2012)
'80 CJ7__258, TF999, D300__'86 CJ WT D44/D30's(3.54s)__GPF custom front/rear bumpers
4" springs__33x15s on black steelies__Galaxy DX959 CB__Cage (built onto YJ "family" bar)
tdkask is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2011, 06:07 PM   #1578
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by glap1922 View Post
Is that bumper still in the local only stages, or have you upgraded it to production? Your stuff is great!
I've done about 1/2 dozen of them already. Thanks for the kind words!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdkask View Post
Got my new GPF bumper on Monday... yesterday was too rainy to get pics. It's Eddies "standard" CJ shorty (48") w/recessed hitch receiver and clevis mounts, with winch plate. Its modded to hold a custom tow bar so I can pull behind camper/moving truck, etc and folds up to double as a trail stinger. Not everyone will like the looks of it for daily use, but I think it rocks and love it's dual use. Basically the diaginal braces were tubing with heims in place.

Also, as mentioned above, I mounted my tag with a bracket that is in the receiver. the mount was also GPF-made.
Thanks again David!

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2011, 01:48 PM   #1579
kkcshipp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Eddie, what would prohibit you from welding a 7" wide x 5" deep plate to the top of the swing away to place the 3rd brake light on (with extenders)? I have a hunch that may solve some of the 3rd brake light problems but without having mine yet I can't say. I have 2 1/2 inch extenders on my current set up (on the rear door). Is it possible?
kkcshipp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2011, 09:16 PM   #1580
aresfab
Vendor
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hi I have been building tire carrier and bumpers for a while now. On my tire carrier I always use a spindle assembly with 2 tapered bearings rated for 1750 lbs. I have been noticing others use 2 hiem style rod ends. And I must admit I am thinking about using them in a new prototype bumper/carrier for a WJ. I have never used these before. So here are my question. What do you think of them?

Check out our bumpers, sliders, roof racks and other Jeep off road parts.

Check out our thread that lets you know what we are doing around our shop.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/a...-shop-1760306/

Web site http://www.aresfab.com

Shop number 847.780.6665

Like us on Facebook!
[/CENTER]
aresfab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2011, 07:55 AM   #1581
hallway94yj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresfab View Post
Hi I have been building tire carrier and bumpers for a while now. On my tire carrier I always use a spindle assembly with 2 tapered bearings rated for 1750 lbs. I have been noticing others use 2 hiem style rod ends. And I must admit I am thinking about using them in a new prototype bumper/carrier for a WJ. I have never used these before. So here are my question. What do you think of them?
I used two heims for my most recent tire carrier and I love it. No rattles, super smooth and I get a lot of questions of, "who built that" at local trail rides

When I stretch the rear some more, I'll be cutting off the factory cross member and moving my tire carrier assembly to the corner armor still using the heims though..
hallway94yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2011, 02:19 PM   #1582
tdkask

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallway94yj View Post
I used two heims for my most recent tire carrier and I love it. No rattles, super smooth and I get a lot of questions of, "who built that" at local trail rides
pics?
'80 CJ7__258, TF999, D300__'86 CJ WT D44/D30's(3.54s)__GPF custom front/rear bumpers
4" springs__33x15s on black steelies__Galaxy DX959 CB__Cage (built onto YJ "family" bar)
Unread 12-31-2011, 02:34 PM   #1583
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkcshipp View Post
Eddie, what would prohibit you from welding a 7" wide x 5" deep plate to the top of the swing away to place the 3rd brake light on (with extenders)? I have a hunch that may solve some of the 3rd brake light problems but without having mine yet I can't say. I have 2 1/2 inch extenders on my current set up (on the rear door). Is it possible?
The issue with adding stuff to the top of the "A", is that it would interfere with my jack mount.

Plus, I'd have to figure out an adjustable mount. I've got folks running everything from 28" to 38" rubber. As you try to accomodate all the different possible rim/tire/jack/gas can combos.. it gets tough trying to find enough real estate to fit everything.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 12-31-2011, 07:18 PM   #1584
Stretch2121
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04_Sahara_Man View Post
Wow first post he posts is in this thread and wanting a price on your bumper...word spreads like wildfire!....I'v been telling people in the forum that want a "custom" bumper to come to you btw what would a rear tire carrier/bumper be shipped to 17356?
Right on! I'm a relative Jeep newbie & first order of business has been a new swing out for my recently procured stock '05 Rubicon. I have spent countless hours surfing/searching/asking but the quality/price/style matrix never panned out...until I picked up a thread about Ground Pounder Fab.

This led me to JeepForum, which I promptly joined late last night...and went straight to the Ground Pounder thread. WOW! I PM'ed Eddie last night & am working an order for my swing out.

I'm addicted...JF & Eddies work rocks!!!
Stretch2121 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2012, 01:36 PM   #1585
kkcshipp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Roger that, I'll figure it out when I get it here.
kkcshipp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2012, 08:24 AM   #1586
Harold_Ray

Let's have some pictures of the bumpers you all are talking about! Pictures make the discussion a lot more intersting, informative, and educational.

And, I love the step-by-steps, tremendous info and knowledge base.

Ray
Harold_Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #1587
midnight_f150
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modeler View Post
Im about to buy one of Eddie bumpers are the Lower Corner Protectors worth the extra money? Aslo Eddie talked about a Antenna Mount as a add on to his bumpers does anyone have a picture of where Eddie welds them on the bumper at?
midnight_f150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #1588
tdkask

It depends on whether you feel you'd need the added protection there. As for the antenna mount, I'm not sure of his typical location, but he's pretty good about giving you what you want IMHO. I'm local to him and have seen a lot of the stuff being built. It's all solid and built to last. If you need the corner guards you can feel comfortable buying from Eddie. Also, I don't think you'll get that quality for the price anywhere else. I've had discussions and he's said he'd rather sell for less profit and have more sales, and happy customers. He keeps up, but always has enough orders to keep him busy (probably never rests). You won't find a bad review, I bet.
Unread 01-03-2012, 07:12 AM   #1589
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I would say the corners are probably more benefit for the longer Jeeps.. CJ8/LJ.

On shorter Jeeps, by the time you roll off an obstable, you're landing on the bumper already.. most of the time.

I only started adding those corners after a few people asked for them.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 01-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #1590
JPcpa
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I had the corner ext on my Tj and now on my LJ. I recommend them. Look good and add protection.
the antenna tab is on the swing arm face by the pivot point. No antenna on mine yet.
image-2089654493.jpg
JPcpa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.