Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier Follow Along - Page 102 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier Follow Along

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 09-08-2011, 06:19 PM   #1516
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96rokee View Post
Hey ive been researching this thread for awhile now
and ive finally got the money together to go ahead and start building mine.

but ive run into a snag.
and thats finding DOM tubing..

i went to the link in your first page
but the shortest length i can buy is 12"
i only need 4"

curious if youd be willing to sell me a piece?
im trying to mimic your design on the first page.

if so can i get a price of the dom tubing alone.
and then a price of the spindle and everything rossette welded and ready?
Actually, I don't even use that size tube anymore. That original one was for a small 1" trailer spindle. Now, I use a 1.375" spindle and bore my own spindle tubes from DOM. The problem however, is that I do it on a manual lathe so it takes me a long time. For the past couple years, I've been so busy building bumpers that I stopped selling spindle kits. I simply couldn't keep up making them for my bumpers and selling them to the public.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2011, 08:23 PM   #1517
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Hey Besrk, I just read every page of this thread. Your stuff looks great. Can you pm me some info on YJ stuff and lead times?
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2011, 01:48 PM   #1518
grebva3
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Eddie,
When you get a minute shoot me an email for pricing and shipping of the front bumper you recently designed for the TJ. (39305) Jeremiah.Malmberg@gmail.com. Hope all is well

Looking for a New Center Console TJ 5spd Manual[/B]
grebva3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 12:27 PM   #1519
bunks-tj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

BESERK, have you ever modified a gas can mount to mount an Ammo can? Just another idea. I have been secretly following this thread since I heard your praises on another local board a few years ago. Someday I will scrape together the coin for a bumper/carrier. Until that day I will have to be content to sit and watch others be pleased by their purchases. Awesome product!
bunks-tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 01:11 PM   #1520
tdkask

Seems like an ammo can would be pretty easy. Eddie, if you did want to, let me know. I can hook you up with one... have one large one sitting around you can measure/hold onto a while, and a couple smaller you can keep.
USN Jeep Club Hull #135 (Retired USN 1992-2012)
'80 CJ7__258, TF999, D300__'86 CJ WT D44/D30's(3.54s)__GPF custom front/rear bumpers
4" springs__33x15s on black steelies__Galaxy DX959 CB__Cage (built onto YJ "family" bar)
tdkask is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 06:21 PM   #1521
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Thanks for the kind words fellas!!

Actually, it wouldn't be difficult to just drill an ammo can to bolt onto my existing gas can mount.

I've got a few ammo cans laying around the shop. If I can remember, I'll mock one up to see how they fit.

On my own CJ5, I just bolted a couple ammo cans down on the rear fenderwells. That's where I keep all my "trail fix junk".

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 09-14-2011, 06:43 PM   #1522
tdkask

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK
On my own CJ5, I just bolted a couple ammo cans down on the rear fenderwells. That's where I keep all my "trail fix junk".
Funny enough, two of the smaller ones are my speaker boxes mounted inside the roll bar on the fenderwells.
'80 CJ7__258, TF999, D300__'86 CJ WT D44/D30's(3.54s)__GPF custom front/rear bumpers
4" springs__33x15s on black steelies__Galaxy DX959 CB__Cage (built onto YJ "family" bar)
Unread 09-15-2011, 07:28 PM   #1523
tdkask

Eddie, I have your rear CJ bumper and as you know am trying to work out getting a front bumper on here. I was curious if you have had any experience with how well it holds air pressure if I wanted to use it as part of the air system. I know every seam is welded, but does a weld like this hold 150psi? I want to connect the two together by hard line and then use as manifolds to fill tires from either end, etc. Just wanted your input and possible earlier findings. Thanks.
Unread 09-16-2011, 09:31 AM   #1524
Harold_Ray

Quote:
I was curious if you have had any experience with how well it holds air pressure if I wanted to use it as part of the air system. I know every seam is welded, but does a weld like this hold 150psi? I want to connect the two together by hard line and then use as manifolds to fill tires from either end, etc.
This is something I thought about years ago with the pick-ups we use here in the practice (veterinarians in Texas), but I never followed through. Everyone was worried we would be running around with small bombs welded or bolted to our truck frames, i.e. big hollow front and rear bumpers filled with air to pressures as high as we could get it. What happens it you have a wreck?

Is the air pressure high enough to cause an explosion, even a small one? We use oxygen tanks here; if one falls, which has happened only once, it blew the regulator through a wall. What would happen if you had a wreck at 60mph or so?
Harold_Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 09:57 AM   #1525
herb101
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold_Ray View Post
This is something I thought about years ago with the pick-ups we use here in the practice (veterinarians in Texas), but I never followed through. Everyone was worried we would be running around with small bombs welded or bolted to our truck frames, i.e. big hollow front and rear bumpers filled with air to pressures as high as we could get it. What happens it you have a wreck?

Is the air pressure high enough to cause an explosion, even a small one? We use oxygen tanks here; if one falls, which has happened only once, it blew the regulator through a wall. What would happen if you had a wreck at 60mph or so?
Big difference between the rupture risk of a 150 psi compressor tank and a 3000psi pressurized gas cylinder.
herb101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 01:50 PM   #1526
tdkask

I am only running 100-150 psi after regulated from CO2 tank... but in all reasonable applications (crazy if the regulator blew... all hell break lose then anyway) at no more than 150 psi.
Unread 09-16-2011, 07:52 PM   #1527
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I've done a couple bumpers that were used as air tanks. However, I don't recommend it. The ends of the bumpers are welded closed and then the weld is ground down smooth. That leads to thin spots and possible pin holes. Another area of concern is the receiver tube on the rear bumpers. In the corners where the receiver tube meets the chain plate and the bumper face, it's easy to get a "cold lap" in that corner that won't seal.

Also, unless you have a decent OBA system, bumper air tanks aren't really all that useful. On my old CJ, I just used a York Compressor plumbed into a 10lb fire extinguisher as the air tank. I welded a water drain to the underside and mounted in the space above the rear axle. The system easily ran an impact wrench and aired up tires quickly.

At 150psi, I wouldn't be too concerned about explosion. More likely to just have a rapid decompression. A few weeks ago, I was trying to clean out my shop compressor's water drain. Without thinking, I grabbed a big wrench and unscrewed a 1" male fitting out of the compressor's tank.. while the compressor was sitting at approx 175psi. When the fitting hit the last thread, it blew off the tank while I was unsrewing it with my hand. Kicked about like a .357 and hosed me down with oily water. It was loud enough to scare the crap out of me but that was about it.. and that was on an 80gal tank.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 09-22-2011, 06:50 PM   #1528
Harold_Ray

Since this thread is Swing-Out Central, guys, I've got a question. I have a swing-out on my 4-door Rubicon, and I want to lock it down so it can't be opened except by me. It is identical to the one below:

How are ya'll locking your swing-outs?

Thanks!!

Ray
Harold_Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2011, 08:01 AM   #1529
MikalCarbine
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I just ordered mine last week

Can anyone recommend to me the best prep before painting? I've decided just to spray paint it with Krylon rust tough so I can touch it up whenever needed. I'm obviously going to prime it but any tips would be great
MikalCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2011, 07:02 PM   #1530
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Here's how I normally do it...

Bumper is pretty clean when it leaves the shop. We run over it with a high speed wire brush to clean it up. However, you can go over the welds with a "stainless toothbrush" to finish them up and then maybe wipe the whole bumper down with a green 3M Pad.

Wipe it down with something like "metalprep" or any other phosphoric acid based "etcher", rinse off residue and blow dry (hair dryer will work okay in a pinch).

Do a final wipe down with a degreaser ( I like lacquer thinner).

Shoot 2-3 coats of "self-etching" primer (Rustoleum sells a rattle can version).

Then, shoot 2-3 medium coats of your top coat of choice.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.