Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier Follow Along - Page 101 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier Follow Along

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 09-02-2011, 02:40 PM   #1501
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdkask View Post
I called Eddie today and will drop by next weekend (one of the benefits of being local) to discuss some ideas and slight variations on bumpers. I already have the rear base bumper and want to get a swing out rack on it soon... and now that I've seen the above front bumper may need to discuss a CJ version. wish I'd have asked you to set it up on the front of mine when I was there last... think I saw it in its later stages.

I have seen the way he's building these and tell ya, they're solid. It will be the last surviving piece of my Jeep, probably. You can't find a nicer guy or someone more enthusiastic about his product. If there's anything he may be doing wrong it's spending too much time putting up with a million questions from guys like me when he should be building your bumper... but again it's a testament to his superb customer service and wish to give you what you need.

There are so any reasons to buy from him (quality, price, customer service, American made, willing to help others, and stands behind his work) and only one reason NOT to... I need to order my next project oon, and if you beat me to it I'll have to wait.

See ya next weekend, Eddie... and this time we'll get me a bottle opener on there for sure!

Thanks Dave!! .. and it's pretty easy to get a bottle opener on the swingarm..

My son is trying to get me to pull/sell my CJ's current front bumper setup and make one similar to that TJ Front Bumper. Might make a fun Winter project.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2011, 03:05 PM   #1502
redrubicon11
2005 TJ Wrangler 

would you mount the factory brake light on it?
redrubicon11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2011, 03:23 PM   #1503
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrubicon11 View Post

I suppose you can. However, I don't have any factory brake light assemblies laying around to be able to mock one up.

I used to offer a 3rd Brake Light option that consisted of a 2" diameter LED trailer light that pushed into a piece of tube welded to the center of the tire mount. However, it would only work with rims that had a 3" diameter opening.

There are also the little bolt-lites (can't recall the name at the moment) that have an LED bulb built into the end of a threaded bolt.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 09-03-2011, 03:36 PM   #1504
grebva3
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Eddie,
When you get this bumper ready for production please email me! Jeremiah.Malmberg@gmail.com

Looking for a New Center Console TJ 5spd Manual[/B]
grebva3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2011, 05:39 PM   #1505
tdkask

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
My son is trying to get me to pull/sell my CJ's current front bumper setup and make one similar to that TJ Front Bumper. Might make a fun Winter project.
I'd kinda like to get that design, but am often too impatient to wait until the winter... lol... will have to see how it all plays out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
I suppose you can. However, I don't have any factory brake light assemblies laying around to be able to mock one up.

I used to offer a 3rd Brake Light option that consisted of a 2" diameter LED trailer light that pushed into a piece of tube welded to the center of the tire mount. However, it would only work with rims that had a 3" diameter opening.

There are also the little bolt-lites (can't recall the name at the moment) that have an LED bulb built into the end of a threaded bolt.
Maybe you could mount a basic 4" LED trailer light behind it to show through the center hole? It'd mean a spacer behind? Or a square hole at the end of the reese style tube setup that takes the smaller rated hitch tube... then holds with a pin... so modular like the gas can or lift racks?
USN Jeep Club Hull #135 (Retired USN 1992-2012)
'80 CJ7__258, TF999, D300__'86 CJ WT D44/D30's(3.54s)__GPF custom front/rear bumpers
4" springs__33x15s on black steelies__Galaxy DX959 CB__Cage (built onto YJ "family" bar)
tdkask is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2011, 09:27 PM   #1506
Coop02x
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You could but you would have to do some altercations to the factory mount to get it to work (probably a little more than it would be worth). I would probably go with something a little more discrete/cleaner look.
Unread 09-04-2011, 02:08 PM   #1507
Modeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks Eddie, I finally got it installed as well as the Delta lug hole brake lights yesterday. Today I tidied up the wiring of the brake lights to "P" clamps instead of cable ties.

I was able to remove the factory HMBL wiring completely because I found that standard banana plug female terminals slipped right on the factory door jam pins.

Back side with the tidied up wiring

I attached the factory rubber bumpers from the tailgate to the angled arms to make the tire even more secure. It didn't move around before I added them so they are just piece of mind.

I have to learn to take pictures on days that aren't hazy or cloudy. LOL
Unread 09-04-2011, 02:24 PM   #1508
tdkask

love the LED third brake lights in the lugnut holes.
USN Jeep Club Hull #135 (Retired USN 1992-2012)
'80 CJ7__258, TF999, D300__'86 CJ WT D44/D30's(3.54s)__GPF custom front/rear bumpers
4" springs__33x15s on black steelies__Galaxy DX959 CB__Cage (built onto YJ "family" bar)
tdkask is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2011, 04:11 PM   #1509
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Dave.. thanks for posting those pics!! You know I was "right click save picture as"..

Do you have a link for those lights? I'd like to look into those as maybe an option..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 09-04-2011, 05:36 PM   #1510
Harold_Ray

Those are pretty darned neat!!
Harold_Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2011, 09:37 PM   #1511
Modeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Eddie it is I who should be thanking you. As expected the build quality was spot on and every part of the install went perfectly.

Link to the Delta site: http://deltatechindustries.com/site/01-6581-50

I got mine through Quadratec as I had a gift certificate left over from Christmas: http://www.quadratec.com/products/16181_101.htm

You do have to modify the Delta lights a bit, I used a Dremel with a fine sanding drum to narrow the diameter so that they would pass through the lug holes correctly. The Delta instructions show drawings of what you need to do, but make no suggestion as to how. The Dremel on the lowest setting went through the resin like butter, took less than a minute to do each pigtail.
Unread 09-04-2011, 09:41 PM   #1512
Harold_Ray

1510 posts and 449,947 views; can you believe that, and this thread has been going since 08-26-2004, 12:33 AM. That, folks, has got to be some kind of record, and the neat thing is this thread isn't going to die. The longevity and interest is unbelievable!!
Harold_Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 01:25 PM   #1513
redrubicon11
2005 TJ Wrangler 

looking good and how much would you charge to build one of these
redrubicon11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 05:11 PM   #1514
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
looking good and how much would you charge to build one of these
Just PM'd you some info..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 09-08-2011, 05:15 PM   #1515
96rokee

Hey ive been researching this thread for awhile now
and ive finally got the money together to go ahead and start building mine.

but ive run into a snag.
and thats finding DOM tubing..

i went to the link in your first page
but the shortest length i can buy is 12"
i only need 4"

curious if youd be willing to sell me a piece?
im trying to mimic your design on the first page.

if so can i get a price of the dom tubing alone.
and then a price of the spindle and everything rossette welded and ready?
96rokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.