Rear bumper tire carrier/stinger build...on a budget - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Rear bumper tire carrier/stinger build...on a budget

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 02-11-2012, 01:11 AM   #1
Viper723
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Rear bumper tire carrier/stinger build...on a budget

Okay guys I have been drooling over many of the bumpers I see in magazines and that you guys have built. While I love many of the designs, I am one of those "I want it more like this" kind of guys and I love building anything. I am just starting to teach myself fabrication and the info on some of the threads has been invaluable. I am on a budget but want to prove you can still make things bulletproof. So this thread will be me starting to build my interpretation of what I will call a "scorpions tail" bumper or "swinger stinger" (Hopefully it will make sense later). Everybody please feel free to comment along the way. Without further ado... enjoy the show...

"The walls between art and engineering exist only in our minds"-Theo Jansen
Viper723 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2012, 01:18 AM   #2
Viper723
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It will be about 2 weeks before I get the material so I will start doing some of the little things and practicing. The first thing I made that is actually going on this baby was a spider web thats going in one of the corners. It is not meant to be a functional gusset by the way. I just wanted to familiarize myself with the little bender we got and thought it was a good excercise. I made it from some steel rod I had lying around and bent the curves with a horbor freight bender... Once again it will make more sense later.
0209121315.jpg   0209121540.jpg   0209121937.jpg  

Unread 02-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
attentionwhore
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I completely understand your "swinger stinger" idea. I too have thought of the same thing. I will be watching to see how yours turns out.
attentionwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2012, 08:09 PM   #4
DannyRoark89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

If you look at one of rear bumper build threads you can look at what I did I basically bent a stinger. 135 degrees I think is what mine was then put a secondary bend in it to follow the contour of the back window on the xjs id post a pic but I don't have one on my phone. They are on here though. This biggest problem you will run into is that the bumper you build it on will actually flew were it is bolted to the "uni-body" I fixed that by busting off he welded nuts on the back of the sheet metal where the rear bumper mounts. Since its that sheet metal that is causing it flex. And I drilled 1/4" plates to the layout on the bumper I built so then t essentialy pinched that sheet metal together and it was almost like having 1/2" steel to bolt to. Good luck man!!
DannyRoark89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2012, 08:16 PM   #5
DannyRoark89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Here's a picture I found

forumrunner_20120211_181629.jpg
DannyRoark89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #6
Viper723
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks. I love that contour but Mine is still going to be a different sort of beast... Some guys may have a guess where I am going with this. I am off to the shop to start cutting up my old tube bumper

Unread 02-11-2012, 11:38 PM   #7
Viper723
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I was look ing through the shop and I found this roller drive for a planar that my dad somehow managed to snap o.0 It should be perfect for the spindle though. It just had super tough rubber on it that I first carved off, then put on the lathe to clean up
0210121814.jpg   0210121835.jpg  

Unread 02-11-2012, 11:49 PM   #8
Viper723
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sadly its time... my first mod, my back bumper is sacrificing itself in the name of being reborn . A 40 dollar Craigslist find with pink paint underneath, this baby has saved my Jeep from rocks, Nissans, and one sign on a snowy road (dont ask). Its only downfall is a horrible way of being mounted. I will be using the 3 inch tubing for the swing arm. After I finished the cut, my little trooper had one last gift to give... I thought it was 1/8 inch but it's actually built from 3/16
0211122104.jpg   0211122222.jpg  

Unread 02-13-2012, 01:01 AM   #9
Viper723
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I cut the lower stinger arms out of the bumper today. These things are seriously overkill, but the will work I also figured out a hinge design I like by welding track arm joints into these short pieces of the tube then mounting them to the bumper. I also cut rough hinge slots in the stinger arms. Plenty of stuff to do before I get the bumper material

Unread 02-13-2012, 01:04 AM   #10
Viper723
1995 YJ Wrangler 

here are the pictures...
0212121621.jpg   0212122141.jpg   0212122213.jpg  

Unread 02-13-2012, 01:48 AM   #11
karlo

Nice project. Can't wait to see it completed.
karlo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2012, 12:44 AM   #12
Viper723
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I got the hinges finished grinding and drilled the bolt holes. The swing action is going to be sweet. I also smashed my finger. This baby is going to be heavy...
0213122153.jpg  

Unread 02-16-2012, 02:38 AM   #13
Viper723
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I got the vertical support notched and I also mocked up the fit on the swing out. I am making the brace out of my old rear track bar... that's all its good for haha and it is good for it!!! It has a bend that looks nice and it is 1/4 in wall DOM so as long as I gusset it there will be no problems. I really need the other material now haha I also cut the swing arm to length and angled the cuts back.
0215122149.jpg   0215122151.jpg  

Unread 02-16-2012, 11:15 PM   #14
Viper723
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I got the vertical support and the track bar all welded up just now... I love working outside in the dark haha I better enjoy being able to while I am young.
0216122142a.jpg  

Unread 02-16-2012, 11:26 PM   #15
Viper723
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Okay I suppose I have made you guys wait long enough for the actual design of this thing. This is my original model that I am working off of... I think I am going to call it a Rock Scorpion Swinger/Stinger haha Let me know what you think of the design?
back.jpg  

Tags
diy , stinger bumper , swing , tire carrier

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.