Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 09-30-2006, 10:05 PM   #1
Bikertrash

Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier Build

I started my rear bumper today. This is as far as I got. It is 3/16"x 2" x 4" rectangular tubing with the shackle eyes welded front and back as is the 2" receiver. Grade 8 bolts were used for mounting. I am going to add the swingout tire carrier as soon and will try to post pics as the build goes. You guys be easy on me as I am NOT a welder, but I do enjoy sticking metal together in my garage.

Again, thanks to you guys who have posted pictures and instructions on your bumper builds and I have to give credit to you guys for your design ideas. As you can see I have copied them.

For those that are interested in the way I mounted it here are a few pictures that may help explain.

Fist I drilled four more 1/2" holes in the crossmember (two on each side) as shown in the following pictire. The holes on the left are factory and the holes on the right are the ones I drilled.

Here is the brackets I fabbed to mount to the cross member. The plate is 1/4" and I used a piece of the 2" x 4" rectangular tubing as a spacer between the bracket and the bumper. This is probably teh weakest point og the the bumper if you were to pull hard on the bumper. However, this jeep will not see any hard core offroad action so I ma not to concerned with this.

One thing I did different then I have seen on other builds is weld 1/2" grade 8 bolts to the mounting bracket as shown below.

Shown here are the shackle eyes welded from the back side.

Here aretwo of the outside mounting bolts from the inside.

And here is one before primer...

Just a few more pictures...

Edit - 10/03/2006 Added pictures of mounting brackets.

33" x 12.5" x 15" Cooper STTs
[/B][/COLOR]

Last edited by Bikertrash; 10-01-2006 at 03:37 PM..
Bikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2006, 10:07 PM   #2
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikertrash
I started my rear bumper today. This is as far as I got. It is 3/16"x 2" x 4" rectangular tubing with the shackle eyes welded front and back as is the 2" receiver. Grade 8 bolts were used for mounting. I am going to add the swingout tire carrier as soon and will try to post pics as the build goes. You guys be easy on me as I am NOT a welder, but I do enjoy sticking metal together in my garage.

Again, thanks to you guys who have posted pictures and instructions on your bumper builds and I have to give credit to you guys for your design ideas. As you can see I have copied them.

Looks good to me. I have one that looks almost the same in the garage. I am using 2X5 1/4" stuff though.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2006, 10:17 PM   #3
jerico

Looks like a super job to me. Would like to see a shot of the back side with the mounting of it to the frame. Maybe when you take it of for painting you could take a shot of it.
jerico is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2006, 11:42 PM   #4
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

definatly interested to see how you mounted it..

and curious as to how the bare metal hasn't rusted yet....

looks great. congrats!
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2006, 11:43 AM   #5
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Looks really good. Just make sure your pivot and latch are placed so that the Jeep's tailgate can still open and close...

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2006, 03:16 PM   #6
Bikertrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK
Looks really good. Just make sure your pivot and latch are placed so that the Jeep's tailgate can still open and close...
Besrk,
First of all thank you got posting your build as I have used most of your design and respect your advise. I have thought long and hard about this pivot point. That is why the angles are not as tapered as I would like them to be. In my mind I feel that this pivot point needs to be an inch or two further outside than the hinge point of the tailgate and I want the axle to weld through the entire thickness (4 inches) of the rectangular tubing. Hopefully when I get the axle that I will be using for the hinges for the tire carrier it will be low enough where I can mount it further inside and the angle braces that I weill be using for the carrier (2" x 2" x 3/16") will clear the taigate when the carrier is opened.
[/B][/COLOR]
Unread 10-01-2006, 04:12 PM   #7
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Good thinking.. also, if you haven't closed the ends yet, you might want to wait till you get the spindle installed. That way, you can stick the MIG nozzle in there and run a bead down both sides of the spindle.. post more pics as you go

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 10-01-2006, 04:29 PM   #8
Bikertrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK
Good thinking.. also, if you haven't closed the ends yet, you might want to wait till you get the spindle installed. That way, you can stick the MIG nozzle in there and run a bead down both sides of the spindle.. post more pics as you go
Once agian, great advise! The ends caps are still open. But for a diiferent reason. I learned from my front bumper build to cap the ends last so you can dump all the trash out when your done so you won't have a rolling marraca.

Great idea to weld the spindle from the inside though!
[/B][/COLOR]
Unread 11-15-2006, 06:35 PM   #9
Bikertrash

I worked a bit on the Swing Out Carrier this past weekend and though I would share my progress.

Swingout Picture 1

Swingout Picture 2

Swingout Picture 3

Swingout Picture 4
[/B][/COLOR]
Unread 11-15-2006, 07:25 PM   #10
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Looking really good! Does it flex at all? Pull back on the tire, do those mounting plates bend? It's difficult to keep that style of mounting plate from flexing. I used to make 'em out of 1/4" thick stock but now I use 3/8" thick stock. Been thinking about stepping up to 1/2" thick. Also, might wanto to use a small tab that runs from the underside of the bumper to that bolt hole that's under the frame. That helps to cut down on mounting flex too...

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 11-15-2006, 08:09 PM   #11
Mr.Crowley
1980 CJ7 

looks good..Are they tig welded?Or migged?
"offroad it, and wave then you might understand"[/QUOTE]
BLS Home Chapter... Where it all Started
:hahaha: yj

My low Buck Rock Crawler project Project..Stop by and check it out..[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497896"][B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]The lizzard Queen[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
Mr.Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2006, 09:47 PM   #12
Willys2004

I couldn't do 1/10th as good a job...but the whole thing looks a little sketchy to me. No offense. I do admire the "can do" spirit. Anyone else have any thoughts?
Willys2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2006, 10:30 PM   #13
Bikertrash

Besrk,
I will have to try flexing the mounts when I mock it up for the clamp. Thanx for the advice.

scrambeled,
Its all migged.

Willys2004,
I won't take offence to your comment, but then again, I am not to shure what you mean by "sketchy".
If your dissing my welds, well I am NOT a welder and never claimed to be.
[/B][/COLOR]
Unread 11-16-2006, 08:43 AM   #14
JJs99TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

mine is bolted directly to the crossmember using the 4 factory holes
plus 4 holes drilled like yours. i didnt use any mounting plates though,
instead bolted it up and welded the nuts in place inside of the square
tubing, my bumper sits flush against the crossmember. i also added 2
1/4" tabs to the bottom of the bumper that bolt into the frame rails as
BESRK mentioned and there is NO flex whatsoever.
unfortunately i dont have any pics of that part

your bumper/carrier looks good and for not claiming to be a welder, your welds dont
look bad at all IMO. how do you plan on latching it?
JJs99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2006, 09:25 AM   #15
Mr.Crowley
1980 CJ7 

I still give you an A ..I like it..Not to mention custom parts are way better than putting a credit card down and saying I'll take that one...The reason I asked about the welds is,that when you tig,the pools look like a roll of dimes layed on its side...Kinda what you have in yours..where you making small circles when pooing your welds?
"offroad it, and wave then you might understand"[/QUOTE]
BLS Home Chapter... Where it all Started
:hahaha: yj

My low Buck Rock Crawler project Project..Stop by and check it out..[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497896"][B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]The lizzard Queen[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
Mr.Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.