Rear Bumper Project - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Rear Bumper Project

Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com2" Lift Kits for JK, TJ, XJ, WJ~$125.00 w/free shippi

Unread 01-06-2007, 10:58 AM   #1
NWilhelm
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Rear Bumper Project

Wednesday a friend and i decided to make a rear bumper for my tj. we headed down to the metal yard to check out the scrap pile and got enough materials for two bumpers. we decided to make two and sell the second one or something. i'll try to get pics of the bumper as soon as i can.

heres a list of materials:
2"x4"x1/4" wall rectangular stock 55" long (can sub thinner material if you like but I like it beefy!)
approx 7" length of 2 1/2"x2 1/2"x1/4" wall stock for receiver (can sub a store bought receiver tube.. Northern has one for like $10)
approx 7" of 2 1/2"x1/4" thick flat stock for chain plate
approx 6" length of 3"x1/4" wall square stock (for mounting legs and receiver lip)
approx 18" of 3"x3/8" thick flat stock cut in half for the bumper mounting flanges
approx 18" of 2"x1/4" thick flat stock for bumper end caps
approx one foot of 2"x3/4" thick flat stock for clevis mounts
...and a bit of expanded metal to make a logo (we are dorks...but my friend has other stuff he can use the logo for.)

PS - we followed BESRK's write up minus the swingout tire carrier. THANKS BESRK!!! and....we're both in high school

'99 Chilli Pepper RED Jeep Wrangler TJ: Black Hard Top/Strapless Bikini/Viking Fast Back Top | Warn Rock Crawler Front Bumper | Homemade Rear Bumper | Black Herculiner interior | Rokmen Rear Corner Guards |

Red Jeep Club Member #352
NWilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2007, 11:15 AM   #2
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Glad the writeup helped.. now, where's the pics!!?

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2007, 11:17 AM   #3
NWilhelm
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i'm workin on it. i still have to get them from my friends dad. he was the photographer.
'99 Chilli Pepper RED Jeep Wrangler TJ: Black Hard Top/Strapless Bikini/Viking Fast Back Top | Warn Rock Crawler Front Bumper | Homemade Rear Bumper | Black Herculiner interior | Rokmen Rear Corner Guards |

Unread 01-07-2007, 06:33 PM   #4
NWilhelm
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Here is mine mounted on my tj. the other one is identical. enjoy!

Unread 01-07-2007, 09:26 PM   #5
99redwj
1999 WJ 

good job!keep it up
2006 5.7 Grand Cherokee
2003 4.0 Wrangler
4" Pro-comp lift,33x12.50x15 Pro-Comp MT,Warn bumper,American racing AR-172,Piaa fogs
99redwj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2007, 06:56 AM   #6
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Nice! What's the WW thing stand for?

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 01-08-2007, 05:17 PM   #7
NWilhelm
1999 TJ Wrangler 

it stands for Wilhelm Williams Fabrication. my last name is Wilhelm and my friends last name is Williams (obviously).

Unread 01-12-2007, 12:33 PM   #8
Bikertrash

Great job!
33" x 12.5" x 15" Cooper STTs
[/B][/COLOR]
Bikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2007, 04:08 PM   #9
NWilhelm
1999 TJ Wrangler 

thanks didnt you have a write up too, bikertrash?

im workin on one it takes a while

Unread 01-13-2007, 11:44 AM   #10
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWilhelm

What is the object of having the extention between the crossmember and the bumper? I see many folks build them this way. I just bolted my 2"X5" directly to the crossmember and it seems better that way. I guess if you were gonna put a swingout on it the extention may be needed. What's the reason? Thanks, bob
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2007, 06:17 PM   #11
NWilhelm
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob
What is the object of having the extention between the crossmember and the bumper? I see many folks build them this way. I just bolted my 2"X5" directly to the crossmember and it seems better that way. I guess if you were gonna put a swingout on it the extention may be needed. What's the reason? Thanks, bob
I did mine this way for several reasons:
one i prefer the look of it out a bit, two i plan on adding a tire carrier later, three i needed practice welding and i wanted to practice on something out of the way

Unread 01-14-2007, 11:17 AM   #12
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I do mine like that for a couple reasons. One, I do quite a few bumpers. It's much easier to generically drill 4 predetermined holes in a plate than to drill and sleeve a bumper blank... and I would sleeve to prevent crushing of the bumper body. I will cut/drill an entire length of flat steel (3"x1/2" thick), toss all the pieces into a vat of acid for 24hrs, and then rinse/dry/stack them on the shelf for future use or sale. Then, when I actually make the bumper, I just drop the plates onto my jig (the actaul rear frame portion of a CJ, YJ/TJ) and set the bumper on it for tacking. Tack up, remove and weld a good fitting bumper.. quickly. And yes.. it does help when doing a tire carrier. Keeps the carrier off the tailgate.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.