Readywelder Welding Cart - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Readywelder Welding Cart

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 12-30-2002, 06:56 PM   #1
evilpsych

Readywelder Welding Cart

After gettin my readywelder.. i decided that instead of picking up 2-3 70lb batteries to move them to where i was welding, i would instead make a cart which would hold the batteries, as well as the charger, and double as a welding table (with a shield of course over the batteries to prevent errant sparks from cooking them)

I decided that in order to make this thing decent, it should be made from 1/8" angle and some pieces of 1/8" flat stock.

i will add some pictures shortly which detail the creation of this cart, which will likely work for any welder by putting it on the bottom shelf

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2002, 06:23 PM   #2
evilpsych

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
Unread 12-31-2002, 10:42 PM   #3
93jeepyj2.5

Will you post us some pics of what your Welder looks like too?

-Heath

03 TJ Sport.....31" MT/R's on MT Classic II's
93jeepyj2.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2003, 09:41 AM   #4
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Man I need to build a cart for my mig and stick welder. I'm tired of lugging that mig around (old Craftsman.. heavy). I was really interested in picking up the Ready Welder to use with my Premier Power Welder until I read that I can't weld on my own vehicle with it while it's hooked up to the PPW. The PPW can weld on the Jeep as long as it's in reverse polarity but the Ready Welder uses straight polarity so I'd have to do the 2 battery thing (the whole reason I picked up a PPW was to avoid having to do that). Like the cart though. I'm gonna have to make a couple of those with heavy metal tops for welding.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2003, 11:35 AM   #5
evilpsych

Quote:
Originally posted by BESRK
Man I need to build a cart for my mig and stick welder. I'm tired of lugging that mig around (old Craftsman.. heavy). I was really interested in picking up the Ready Welder to use with my Premier Power Welder until I read that I can't weld on my own vehicle with it while it's hooked up to the PPW. The PPW can weld on the Jeep as long as it's in reverse polarity but the Ready Welder uses straight polarity so I'd have to do the 2 battery thing (the whole reason I picked up a PPW was to avoid having to do that). Like the cart though. I'm gonna have to make a couple of those with heavy metal tops for welding.
actually.. the readywelder works in both straight and reverse polarity..

Unread 01-01-2003, 05:18 PM   #6
evilpsych

added the bottle holder.. it holds my weight easily.. oh and here's a picture of the welder for those that asked..

Unread 01-04-2003, 09:40 PM   #7
evilpsych

here's a closeup of one of the practice welds on 1/4" with it.. it appears to work great on 1/4" whereas the thinner stuff takes a little more work..

Unread 01-04-2003, 11:59 PM   #8
93jeepyj2.5

Theres alot of splatter on there, but that looks pretty good.

Is it easy to weld with?

03 TJ Sport.....31" MT/R's on MT Classic II's
93jeepyj2.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2003, 05:00 PM   #9
evilpsych

yeah it's pretty easy to weld with.. the splatter is mostly because that's flux core wire.. regular gas shield mig splatter doesnt stick like that..
anyway.. i finished the cart..

Unread 01-05-2003, 05:17 PM   #10
K9JEEP
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally posted by evilpsych
actually.. the readywelder works in both straight and reverse polarity..
Sorta yeah... still has to be isolated from the vehicle that it's being used on. Can't ground the positive to the vehicle ground, so it's no better off than the PPW if you're alone.

Beserk, using the PPW in reverse is pretty transparrent. It does an awesome job because of the high frequency. Have you played with it yet and who paid for the new one? The polarity doesn't even become an issue until you start doing some thicker stuff (or have sensitive rods)

Sorry Evil, don't mean to hijack the tread!
Unread 01-05-2003, 05:20 PM   #11
evilpsych

wel duh.. everyone knows you have to isolate it if you're doin gun-negative welding on your own vehicle by disconnecting all the wires that are hooked up to the positive hook on the battery..... i'm not too-pid..

he cant use his PPW because his engine has to be running

Last edited by evilpsych; 01-05-2003 at 05:30 PM..
Unread 01-05-2003, 05:30 PM   #12
K9JEEP
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally posted by evilpsych
wel duh.. everyone knows you have to isolate it if you're doin gun-negative welding on your own vehicle.. i'm not too-pid..
Everyone knows of someone who's grounded their battery to the chassis before... I've even been hit with the question of why Jumpers cables come with two leads, the vehicles are already grounded...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.