Ready to order fab equipment, need advise. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Ready to order fab equipment, need advise.

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 03-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
kgb_m3
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ready to order fab equipment, need advise.

Hey guys, I've decided to spend my tax refund on some fab equipment.
Been doing my homework for a while now and still have some specific questions to gather the right stuff.

I'm looking to do the following: tube fenders front/rear, add more tubing to my front bumper, skid plates, storage boxes and other small jeep related projects.

I'm renting a house with 110v which limits my welding. I'm sure I'll be ok for the type of work I'm looking to do. Looking to get a tube bender up to 1 3/4 (not sure which to get, thinking JD2). A way to bend and cut sheet metal 1/8" thick or so. I was looking at harbor freight metal brakes, but not sure if that's the right tool for this.

How do you guys bend and cut your sheet metal? What 110v welder and what tube bender do you guys recommend?

kgb_m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have a JD2 bender with 1 1/2" & 1 3/4" dies . Very happy with it. As for cutting sheet metal I use a 4 1/2" angle grinder or a plasma cutter. I had a 110 Miller welder( not sure the model) before I had a shop and 220. It was a nice welder welded 3/16th's with it a lot.

Sent from my XT881 freezeray gun using JeepForum
Unread 03-19-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
paintballwannab
1997 ZJ 

Don't skimp on your grinder, buy a good one from the start. They have a ton of uses in fab and you don't wanna burn a cheap one up in the middle of a job.

Cutting tubing I use a band saw, up to 16ga sheet metal I use a Niagra 36" sheet metal shear I picked up from a auction. Anything thicker either a grinder or take to a friends house to use a plasma.

Welding, stick with Miller, Lincoln and hobart. They all make very capable machines that run 110v, as long as you understand their limitations.
paintballwannab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 08:37 PM   #4
kgb_m3
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcj View Post
I have a JD2 bender with 1 1/2" & 1 3/4" dies . Very happy with it. As for cutting sheet metal I use a 4 1/2" angle grinder or a plasma cutter. I had a 110 Miller welder( not sure the model) before I had a shop and 220. It was a nice welder welded 3/16th's with it a lot.

Sent from my XT881 freezeray gun using JeepForum
Good to know, I'm pretty set on model 3 JD2 bender with same size dies you got. Already own a nice angle grinder. My question is how to cut curved lines and very staight long lines? I doubt I can cut a staight line especially after a few drinks lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballwannab View Post
Don't skimp on your grinder, buy a good one from the start. They have a ton of uses in fab and you don't wanna burn a cheap one up in the middle of a job.

Cutting tubing I use a band saw, up to 16ga sheet metal I use a Niagra 36" sheet metal shear I picked up from a auction. Anything thicker either a grinder or take to a friends house to use a plasma.

Welding, stick with Miller, Lincoln and hobart. They all make very capable machines that run 110v, as long as you understand their limitations.
Got ya, how do you keep your lines straight and what about curves?
As far as a welder, got my eyes on Hobart 125 or 140 from Northern tool.
Do you guys think I can get away with harbor freight 90amp welder or is it complete garbage? People gave it decent reviews for small jobs.
Unread 03-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #5
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Gonna have to disagree here, I always have about 3 harbor freight grinders. They last about 3ish years then they burn out one at a time. Grinders live a pretty crappy life no matter the brand so I cheap out

I have a JD3 bender, hypertherm 30 and hobart 140, all great tools. Will be replacing the 140 with a miller 211 in the spring. The Miller is dual voltage, which would be a great solution to your problem!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 09:17 PM   #6
paintballwannab
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussler View Post
Gonna have to disagree here, I always have about 3 harbor freight grinders. They last about 3ish years then they burn out one at a time. Grinders live a pretty crappy life no matter the brand so I cheap out
I've heard for a cheap grinder they seem to last somewhat well. I've got two Milwaukee grinders. One 7" that's 20+ yrs old and a 4.5" that's 5yrs old....but for the price of those two you could buy a ton of HF one's. As long as you have a couple around that's a good idea.

To the OP, I have no idea about the HF welder. Check craigslist, pick up a HF welder off there for cheap to try out, or buy a used higher end welder. Also look around there for shops closing, good way to get commercial equip for a quarter the price of new.
paintballwannab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 10:17 PM   #7
AGDubyaJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb_m3 View Post
My question is how to cut curved lines and very staight long lines? .
curved lines take a bit of working, if all you have is a grinder just cut an angle that closely matches your desired radius and grind to your desired shape, you can also use a hole saw, or invest in a torch set-up (plasma or oxy-fuel).

long cuts with a grinder are fairly simple, draw a long straight line and score the line with your cut-off wheel, then follow your score mark and cut away. you can also do long cuts with a torch very easily, just draw your line, line up a straight edge (torch guide) and blast away. when cutting with a torch leave a bit of extra material so you can grind your cut smooth.
Unread 03-20-2013, 01:15 AM   #8
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I think a 4.5" angle is the main staple of any faber. I use it more than any tool in my shop. Just cut you out some templates out of cardboard, I like 12 pack boxes we all seem to have enough of them around. Curved lines are not to hard, and for straight lines I use a piece of angle iron as a guide. I made this grill body mount for mine the other day. Cut it all out with a 4.5" with cutting wheel then used a flap disc to clean it up.
forumrunner_20130320_011159.jpg
The best part about fabin is to get creative and make something your own.
Unread 03-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #9
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I've heard for a cheap grinder they seem to last somewhat well. I've got two Milwaukee grinders. One 7" that's 20+ yrs old and a 4.5" that's 5yrs old....but for the price of those two you could buy a ton of HF one's. As long as you have a couple around that's a good idea.

To the OP, I have no idea about the HF welder. Check craigslist, pick up a HF welder off there for cheap to try out, or buy a used higher end welder. Also look around there for shops closing, good way to get commercial equip for a quarter the price of new.
The 20 dollar ones work very well, but the $15 ones arent worth a ****. I have a 9" milwaukee as well, but I love being able to throw around the HFs that I dont care about. Having one with a cut off wheel, one with a grinder and one with a flap disk is very handy!

I dont think a HF 90 will be enough power for the majority of jeep stuff. My hobart 140 suffers with 1/4".
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #10
geiman
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Can't stress enough keeping an eye on Craigslist for used items. I just picked up a brand new Hobart 210 MVP, a brand new tall bottle of gas, 3 large spools of wire, cart, and misc. items like contact tips all for $500. I'm in the same situation as you, and was looking for a cheaper 110v model to use until I move in a few months to a place with 220v. I was leaning towards picking up a Hobart 140 when I found this for about the same price. Took a while to find, but deals can be had.
geiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 05:46 PM   #11
LJWrangler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Just keep in mind all homes have 220v. Just replace your single breaker with a double pole/ or put the black on 1 breaker and the white/red on another and walla you have 220!! If you have AC you have 220 if you have an elec oven you have 220 if you have an elec dryer you have 220v. All it is ---is 110x2--- 2 single pole 30amp gives you 220 30amp-- just the way you wire it up!! Most residental areas don't have 3-phase.. 220 has no neutral just 2 feeds and a ground.
220v-breaker-box-google-search-google-chrome_2013-03-20_16-43-32.jpg  
SILVER JEEP CLUB #71

My Build [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-06-lj-build-1449774/[/url]
LJWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #12
geiman
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJWrangler View Post
Just keep in mind all homes have 220v. Just replace your single breaker with a double pole/ or put the black on 1 breaker and the white/red on another and walla you have 220!! If you have AC you have 220 if you have an elec oven you have 220 if you have an elec dryer you have 220v. All it is ---is 110x2--- 2 single pole 30amp gives you 220 30amp-- just the way you wire it up!! Most residental areas don't have 3-phase.. 220 has no neutral just 2 feeds and a ground.
Very good point. Unfortunately if you rent where you live you may not be allowed to run additional 220 lines. Luckily I'll be moving soon and will be able to run a 220 line.
geiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 06:55 PM   #13
kgb_m3
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Appreciate all the information provided. I spoke with my landlord today and he OK'd me to install 220 outlet. I no longer want the 110v and would like to get a 220v welder. Going to hold off on the bender till next month.

LJ Wrangler, I really like the idea posted by you, do you happen to have more information on how to get it done?
Unread 03-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #14
LJWrangler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

ALWAYS TURN OFF THE MAIN BREAKER BEFORE WORKING IN A PANEL. Electric work should always be done by a qualified person!!

Now that we covered to legal side of things HaHa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb_m3 View Post
Appreciate all the information provided. I spoke with my landlord today and he OK'd me to install 220 outlet. I no longer want the 110v and would like to get a 220v welder. Going to hold off on the bender till next month.

LJ Wrangler, I really like the idea posted by you, do you happen to have more information on how to get it done?
kgb-- its not an idea-- it's just how to wire for 220-

Easiest way is to replace 4 of your single breakers. Home Depot or lowes has mini double breakers take 4 single pole out and put in 2 mini in that leaves you with empty spaces in the panel then you install the 30-40 amp double pole 220 breaker. Do you know anyone that does eletric work or a good friend that does it?

Pic at bottom is what I'm talking about

Here is a basic you tube vid and there are alot more

electrical_panel_in_home-nice_reqj.jpg  
SILVER JEEP CLUB #71

My Build [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-06-lj-build-1449774/[/url]
LJWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.