raising winch with 1.5" square - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > raising winch with 1.5" square

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-26-2011, 01:49 PM   #1
slafferty
2000 TJ Wrangler 

raising winch with 1.5" square

My stinger has support bars that are welded from the stinger to top piece of the bumper. My superwinch fits right in between the bars however i just bought a warn that does not fit between the bars. If i were to use some 1.5" square with a 3/16"-1/4" wall to mount the winch up higher would it be sufficent? I will have to use longer bolts that go through the 3/16" bumper and 1.5" sqaure then into the winch.

'00 TJ, 4.0, nv3550 spd, E-lockers Front and Rear, 4.88 gears. Homebuilt Bumpers/ tube doors.. Homebuilt Long Arm in the making... 35 inch MT-R's ordered[QUOTE=RUBtjICON;9622056]If you arent scratching it, you arent trying hard enough :tea:[/QUOTE]

[U][I][B]MY BUILD THREAD[/B][/I][/U]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/slaffertys-2000-tj-build-1121555/index2.html"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][SIZE="4"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/slaffertys-2000-tj-build-1121555/index2.html[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL]
slafferty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2011, 02:05 PM   #2
TJ06WRANGLER
2007 JK Wrangler 

Your first weak link will be the bolts. The next will be the tubing. It might work. Add to that the cantilever effect if/when you get a good load on it. Personally if I was to do that I would use a solid square piece. If nothing else it would give me more peace of mind. Might not be any better, but it couldn't be worse.

Also, believe me I could be totally wrong, but that is what initially comes to mind.
TJ06WRANGLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Or at least sleeve the bolt holes to keep things from collapsing.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2011, 03:07 PM   #4
slafferty
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushaw View Post
Or at least sleeve the bolt holes to keep things from collapsing.
Thats a good idea. Anyone think it will be better to weld the a few peices of sqaure across the top of the bumper then wled a flat plate to them and just bolt the winch to the plate with the short bolts?

That might work better.. I think it'll look cleaner too. I know there are a few "raised" TJ winch plates that use a 90deg bend at either end of the winch plate to raise it up an inch or two.. The tubing would be doing something similar if mounted out toward the ends of the winch plate..
'00 TJ, 4.0, nv3550 spd, E-lockers Front and Rear, 4.88 gears. Homebuilt Bumpers/ tube doors.. Homebuilt Long Arm in the making... 35 inch MT-R's ordered[QUOTE=RUBtjICON;9622056]If you arent scratching it, you arent trying hard enough :tea:[/QUOTE]

[U][I][B]MY BUILD THREAD[/B][/I][/U]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/slaffertys-2000-tj-build-1121555/index2.html"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][SIZE="4"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/slaffertys-2000-tj-build-1121555/index2.html[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL]
slafferty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2011, 07:10 PM   #5
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Welded & some gussets...yea no prob. The winch plate I built is raised since the roller fair lead is flush with the bumper.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.