Radius Arm long arm rod end choices - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Radius Arm long arm rod end choices

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-25-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
WJDesertRacer
2004 WJ 

Radius Arm long arm rod end choices

Looking at building long arms. I know for the lca I'm going to have bushing on axle side and johnny joint or something similar on frame side. I plan to copy the Clayton arms.

I'm buliding a new axle so my mounting options are open. I'm not sure if I should use tabs on the axle and a flex joint, or a factory style bushing to connect my uca to the axle? Where the uca mounts to the lca I will have tabs with either a bushing or flex joint? What have other people done? What will be better. If I put flex joints on both ends of my uca will I have too much flex?

I currently have 4 in lift coils with about 11 inches of travel but plan to upgrade to coilovers cycling close to 14 in the near future

The jeep is a 2004 wj and is not a dd. Probably sees 100 on road miles a year.

IFS WJ dual sport
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/wj-west-coast-style-1172706/[/url]
WJDesertRacer is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

On my rig's radius arm setup I have rubber at the axle end of the (lower) control arms and Johnny joints at the frame side (standard Clayton configuration). On the radius arms I have Johnny joints where they attach to the lower control arm, a Johnny joint where the drivers side radius arm attaches to the axle, and a rubber bushing where the passenger side radius arm attaches to the axle. If you run Johnny joints all around on the radius arms then you have removed too many degrees of freedom and should prepare yourself for binding and breakage.

Be sure to buy extra rubber bushings for the radius arm. You will need them.

I'm not a big fan of the radius arm setup. But at least its easy to build.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.