Quote input - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Quote input

Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 03-07-2013, 08:42 AM   #1
itsparadoxical
1999 WJ 

Quote input

I have a 99WJ with rusted out rocker panels. I need to cut them out and replace them with some 2x6 3/16" tube steel, braced to the unibody with some 2x2 pieces. I got a quote from a guy (not body shop business, welder/project guy working independently) to do the whole job, including materials, for $700. That seems steep to me and I am just leaning toward doing it myself. The problem is that it would be my first welding fabrication job and I am concerned about the welding of light body panels to thicker tube. For those with more fabrication experience, is this quote fair?

itsparadoxical is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #2
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

The fair price is the price you're willing to pay.

Not sure I'd jump into welding sheetmetal-to-rock rails as my first fabrication project. Once you start burning holes in the sheetmetal, it gets fugly really quick.

If I were doing the job, it would be "material cost plus 20%" and $50hr.

Probably looking at 4-6hrs if starting from scratch... maybe less.. maybe more.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #3
itsparadoxical
1999 WJ 

Thanks guys. Yes, the fair price is what I am willing to pay and what he is willing to accept. I had a budget of $500 and think that will be something I can get close to. I will do the job and make it happen if I have to, but really don't have the time, because I would be slow.
Unread 03-11-2013, 11:35 PM   #4
donthelegend
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Did this on my XJ, and while it wasn't my first fabrication project it was the first welding two metals of very different thicknesses together which was bad enough along the top edge where I could maintain a decent position. The welds underneath are positively horrific looking (having smashed up rockers that I had to straighten out with a BFH before welding was even possible didn't help either)...

If you had other welding experience or have the time to practice quite a bit before actually welding on your vehicle, I'd say go for it. But if you don't have the time to get quite a bit of practice first, I'd pay to have someone else weld it up.
donthelegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 02:34 PM   #5
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I also did this with 3"x6"x3/16". After chopping the old rocker out I took the pinch seam, cleaned it up and drilled rosette holes through it. I also used a 1"x6'x3/16" strip and welded that over the thin sheet metal on the top. I also thought it was important to tie into the frame, after plating it.

It was a lot of work but came out great.

Check my Rockers link below.

I hope this helps.
Diamond-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #6
itsparadoxical
1999 WJ 

Thanks for the additional input. I am talking to some guys who are either welders, or have a bunch of welding/fab experience to do this for me. As much as I want to learn to weld better, and as much as I would appreciate the end product when finished, I don't have the time or energy to take this on, learn along the way, and fix all of my screw-ups. I will make sure I take pics before and after and share the results and details.
Unread 03-13-2013, 02:53 PM   #7
donthelegend
1999 XJ Cherokee 

One thing you might consider is getting the materials, cutting out the old rockers and cutting the steel/welding the endcaps on yourself (thats a small welding task that you can do in good position and would give you some practice). Then the only thing left for the more experienced welder is actually welding the new rockers to the unibody. Less work for them, and you get to say you had a hand in the final result.
donthelegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 09:44 PM   #8
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

You're looking at 100 bucks in material, then all the labour to cut out, prep, prepare the box steel, then burn it in and deal with other unforeseen rot etc.

It will be a good day if buddy's efficient and no issues come up.

Considering a decent set of sliders is 3-400 anyways, I think 700 is a bit high, but not out of the ballpark.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.