quick tire carrier build. (lots of pics) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > quick tire carrier build. (lots of pics)

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-10-2011, 11:05 AM   #16
papi32
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I really like how you did the shovel mount. I have been looking for a way to do this and I think I may somewhat "copy" your set up as far as how you clamped the handle to secure the jack.

You are doing a really good job though. Keep up the great work![/QUOTE]

Ya the shovel mount is pretty easy, but watch out when you weld it since it likes to warp because of the heat. I couldn't find any other way to do it that i could weld on. The only disadvantaged is that there are 4 wing nuts= more to loss on the trail.

papi32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2011, 11:11 AM   #17
jeepn012
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Awesome work. I still haven't broken into welding my own stuff.

Just curious, but are you going to leave the CB antenna that high? Guess you don't have an parking garages there..
2005 LJ - In the mail, hope I like it. Everybody's doin it, here is the build: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/happy-wife-happy-life-05-lj-rubi-budget-build-1481914/[/url]
jeepn012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2011, 11:14 AM   #18
papi32
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepn012 View Post
Awesome work. I still haven't broken into welding my own stuff.

Just curious, but are you going to leave the CB antenna that high? Guess you don't have an parking garages there..
Welding isent that hard just take your time and learn to get a nice bead down, and focus on the penetration of the weld.

Ya my CB antenna is going to stay that high, we do have parking garages but i think i go in one once a year. I will take it off when i need to, i will have it off all the time unless i go offroading since it wont fit in the garage!
Unread 01-11-2011, 06:07 AM   #19
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Really nice job man. Looks real good.
Unread 01-11-2011, 03:04 PM   #20
papi32
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fropleyquark View Post
Really nice job man. Looks real good.
Thanks.
Unread 01-11-2011, 03:11 PM   #21
papi32
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Good news. So yesterday i got home before the the UPS guy came so i started to get it ready for the latch. I put a new tube on there, one that is a little bigger, and has much better welds than the last one. I also took the time to cap the top so i wouldn't have to worry about water getting in and rusting it.

Now for the bad news. Once the UPS guy got here i was exited to finally finish it. Opened the box and saw the latch, it was miniature. I knew this couldn't be right so i looked up the part number and i ordered the one with only 360 holding pounds. So that was disappointing. I am not going to spend the time and money to buy another one from them. But i think i have decided on going the T-bolt way. It seems very easy to do and cheap. I know i will have to worry about it coming undone but, once i start to hear it i will just pull over and tighten it. I think i will put a pin in the back side of the bolt so id doesn't come all the way out once the pin is in place, or just put an extra wing nut on it. Not sure yet but will get it finished tomorrow most likely.
Unread 01-11-2011, 03:59 PM   #22
rompinthewoods
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Very good job on the carrier. I wish my welds look as good as yours. I built my own carrier a few months ago and I spent a lot of time grinding my welds to make them look decent. I used the t-bolt style latch and it works great. I have not had a problem keeping it screwed in. A pin on the other side is a good idea though. I may do that as well.
Unread 01-11-2011, 04:43 PM   #23
papi32
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rompinthewoods View Post
Very good job on the carrier. I wish my welds look as good as yours. I built my own carrier a few months ago and I spent a lot of time grinding my welds to make them look decent. I used the t-bolt style latch and it works great. I have not had a problem keeping it screwed in. A pin on the other side is a good idea though. I may do that as well.
Hey thanks, if you wouldnt mind could you put up a pic of your t bolt latch. Thanks.
clayton
Unread 01-11-2011, 05:15 PM   #24
ArrizX
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Looks great.

Just watch out for the bug holes in your welds.
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2011, 09:39 PM   #25
papi32
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Got all of it finished today other than the gas can mounts, thats in another couple of weeks. I want to get it on so i can go wheeling this weekend.

Here are all the pieces being painted.

went for a little test drive once i got it all installed. Not a sound other than the hi lift.

Picture of the T-latch. was really hard to get all 3 holes to line up just right.

This is the frame tie in i made. really solid.

Within the next couple of weeks i will be making the gas can holders for both sides of the tire carrier. So look back in the future.

thanks for looking.
Clayton
Unread 01-13-2011, 07:33 AM   #26
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Great job. Looks really good!!!
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2011, 11:10 AM   #27
Tracker401
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm really kinda interested in the "Tee bolt" latch. I like the idea that you can keep the mount tight to (hopefully) keep the rattling to a minimum. My question is, how much of a PITA is it when you need to get into the back end of the jeep? I get into mine 3-5 times a day and I'm afraid it would get old unscrewing the latch each time, then securing it again. I'm kinda torn between the good and the bad.

Good job on the build! I like the frame tie in's you made...good job! I've got to do a bumper when it warms up AND I get a little time. I've got a lot of ideas banging around in my head...!

Thanks for sharing!

Tracker401
Tracker401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 03:12 PM   #28
papi32
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker401 View Post
I'm really kinda interested in the "Tee bolt" latch. I like the idea that you can keep the mount tight to (hopefully) keep the rattling to a minimum. My question is, how much of a PITA is it when you need to get into the back end of the jeep? I get into mine 3-5 times a day and I'm afraid it would get old unscrewing the latch each time, then securing it again. I'm kinda torn between the good and the bad.

Good job on the build! I like the frame tie in's you made...good job! I've got to do a bumper when it warms up AND I get a little time. I've got a lot of ideas banging around in my head...!

Thanks for sharing!

Tracker401
Well if you open the back alot i would go with a latch set up. But you could make it work if you get the right sized bolt, mine is a little to long and is a pain in the *** to get out. Also if you go the t-bolt way make sure your bolts line up perfectly or it gets really hard to screw in and unscrew the bolt. But overall i really like this set up since it is really solid and is defiantly not going to go anywhere!!
Unread 01-23-2011, 09:15 PM   #29
krazymatt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

That looks awesome bud! Very good work. What size rectangular tube did you use for the rear bumper itself? I want to start building me some bumpers and carrier sometime this year as soon as I can get a hold of some steel.
krazymatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 10:03 PM   #30
papi32
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks!! The previous owner made the bumper, but i cleaned up the welds and filled some holes. But to answer your question the lower bumper part is 2x4 peace.

Clayton

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.