quick tire carrier build. (lots of pics) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > quick tire carrier build. (lots of pics)

Disc Brake Kits from ECGSECGS JK Dana 60 Bolt In Rear DiffGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 01-07-2011, 08:22 PM   #1
papi32
1999 TJ Wrangler 

quick tire carrier build. (lots of pics)

So this is a quick overview of my tire carrier build. My old carrier made a ton of noise and the tire hung to low and caught on rocks some times. Also im 17 so dont go crazy on my welding, its getting a lot better. I also started this project this Tuesday, just forgot to start a build thread on it earlier. Only worked about 2 and a half hours each night.

So this is the old carrier, i cut the spindle off so i could re-use it on the new carrier. (long time with a 4in grinder)

Finally off!! thank god.

Gridded it down so the spindle would fit.

Fits pretty well for free hand.

Mocked up the frame of the new carrier.

Caped the end of the lower horizontal bar with some steel and welded and ground it down.

Just mocking it up, to see how it will look.

Welded the Spindle on, welded twice.

Got the main vertical pillar welded in.

Made the part the tire attaches to, welded the bolts in on the back side.

Welded the main horizontal support on and welded the tire holder on.

Tire mounted to see the hight, i like it that high, think it looks good so far.

added the upper section for the hi lift, shovel, axe and for the antenna mount.

papi32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 08:25 PM   #2
papi32
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Side view as of now.

Got the 45 degree pieces burnt in.

both are burnt in, looking good so far.

Tire mounted with the 45 degree pieces, I love how its turning out.

Ran out of wire Thursday night, (you can see where it stopped welding) Put a 3/16in plate to combine all 3 pieces of the 2x2 square tubing. should make it act like one bar, once i get the front gussets on. also put one t wards the bottom on the main vertical pillar, attaches to the lower horizontal peace. Also put some holes in it so i could weld them in, should make it bullet proof.

Got the hi lift mount on, just used 2 bolts welded them to a 1/4in 10in long peace of steel, used 1/2in bolts and wing nuts and lock washers. looks pretty good.

Today did some gusseting, came out very well.

Made it a little interesting with 3 gussets on the bottom of the horizontal peace that holds the tire up. the one in the middle is bigger than the 2 smaller onces, looks like it was meant to be.

Got all the gussets on, i dont think this tire is going anywhere.

caped the top tube and made a antenna mount out of 3/16in steel. doesn't move what so ever! a little pic with everything on, except the gas cans.

another view of of everything on.

this is what my welds started at.

and where they are at now!!

Hopefully tomorrow i will get the shovel mount mounted and the axe mount too. I will try to get the gas cans mounted, they are going to be removable mounts that bolt to the 45 degree peaces. I only have enough steel to make one mount though. The latch comes in monday, i ordered one that has the safety latch so it wont acedently come undone. I have also decided to attach the latch at a 45 degree angle so that it will pull the carrier down and into the back of the mount. (hard to explain) Thats all in 4 days of work, made everything by hand, grinder and all. Let me know what you thing.
Clayton
Unread 01-07-2011, 10:38 PM   #3
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by papi32 View Post
Today did some gusseting, came out very well.

It appears there is a little porosity on the bottom of the weld, but it may be dirt. Hard to tell with the pics. If it is porosity, it is so small that it would not effect the gusset/weld strength. If you have these little "pin holes" in a lot of other areas, it may not be a bad idea to grind them out and run another bead. Not trying to be a jerk by pointing it out, just trying to provide some "constructive criticism". CLEAN welding surfaces help eliminate/minimize porosity. Also, ensure the nozzle is clean all the time too.

Overall it is looking good. The thing I like the most about the fab forum is looking at home made tire carriers. A lot of creativity. There is such a learning curve with this things. After building your first one, I'm sure you already have ideas and things you would do differently on your next build. I sell quite a few carriers out here in Tucson. It took me probably around 10/12 of the them to really get a hang of what works and what dosen't. Keep up the good work. I love watching someone build their own products.
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2011, 12:26 AM   #4
Rutdigger
2010 JK Wrangler 

Dude..I think you did a heck of a job bro. Awsome build my friend!

[CENTER]The more you play with it, the bigger it gets![/CENTER]
Rutdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2011, 10:25 AM   #5
lakailimited06
1999 WJ 

that came out good man, making your own **** is the only way to go...im no pro but i remember looking at my first welds with my rinky dink 110v craftsman mig compared to my hobart now and a few projects later what a difference..

nice jeep to always a fan of that color combo...
Unread 01-08-2011, 10:40 AM   #6
papi32
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatepper View Post
It appears there is a little porosity on the bottom of the weld, but it may be dirt. Hard to tell with the pics. If it is porosity, it is so small that it would not effect the gusset/weld strength. If you have these little "pin holes" in a lot of other areas, it may not be a bad idea to grind them out and run another bead. Not trying to be a jerk by pointing it out, just trying to provide some "constructive criticism". CLEAN welding surfaces help eliminate/minimize porosity. Also, ensure the nozzle is clean all the time too.

Overall it is looking good. The thing I like the most about the fab forum is looking at home made tire carriers. A lot of creativity. There is such a learning curve with this things. After building your first one, I'm sure you already have ideas and things you would do differently on your next build. I sell quite a few carriers out here in Tucson. It took me probably around 10/12 of the them to really get a hang of what works and what dosen't. Keep up the good work. I love watching someone build their own products.
Thanks for the criticism, you need some to become better, right?
Its not dirt it does have some holes there, but there are only like 2 other spots on the carrier that have that. I always keep my welding surface clean and same with the welder, idk why it does this, it seems like if it penetrates to far it starts to bubble up a little.
Unread 01-08-2011, 10:41 AM   #7
papi32
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutdigger View Post
Dude..I think you did a heck of a job bro. Awsome build my friend!
Thanks, still not done yet though.
Unread 01-08-2011, 10:43 AM   #8
papi32
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakailimited06 View Post
that came out good man, making your own **** is the only way to go...im no pro but i remember looking at my first welds with my rinky dink 110v craftsman mig compared to my hobart now and a few projects later what a difference..

nice jeep to always a fan of that color combo...
thanks man, i like making my own stuff on my jeep, i can point to it and say i built that from scratch. My welder is a 110v works very well for almost anything.
all i need to do now is get a black colored top, my top is starting to faid and has some rips from trees in it so thats coming soon.
Unread 01-08-2011, 03:19 PM   #9
papi32
1999 TJ Wrangler 

So today i added the shovel mount to the carrier. I wanted a permanent way to mount it, this is what i came up with.

Shovel is mounted.

open view.

I also took off the bumper part of it so i could clean up some of the welds that the previous owner did (crap). tried to make it as smooth as possible before paint. (forgot to take a picture but its not that interesting.)
Unread 01-08-2011, 08:06 PM   #10
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

MMM I see a little extension cord laying behind the welder I hope that you are not using that to run the welder with. Most of the small orange cords are not really up to being used for welding even a 110v welder. If that is so you might try getting a 12 ga or 10 ga 25 footer might help your welder to run a little smooth and alot better.

Now to give praise for doing a nice design and work.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2011, 04:16 PM   #11
papi32
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger889 View Post
MMM I see a little extension cord laying behind the welder I hope that you are not using that to run the welder with. Most of the small orange cords are not really up to being used for welding even a 110v welder. If that is so you might try getting a 12 ga or 10 ga 25 footer might help your welder to run a little smooth and alot better.

Now to give praise for doing a nice design and work.
Nope thats for the grinder. But i have an 8 or 6 gage wire going to the outlet. (not sure exactly what size but its thick)
Thanks
Clayton
Unread 01-10-2011, 12:10 AM   #12
karlo

Nice build. The idea of securing your tools in the tire carrier is really awesome.
karlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2011, 06:18 AM   #13
KDOG2008
2004 WJ 

Awesome. I couldn't do half as good a job.
KDOG2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2011, 07:23 AM   #14
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by papi32 View Post
Its not dirt it does have some holes there, but there are only like 2 other spots on the carrier that have that. I always keep my welding surface clean and same with the welder, idk why it does this, it seems like if it penetrates to far it starts to bubble up a little.
The main reasons for porosity is impurities (dirt) on the welding surface and lack of shielding. The lack/blockage of shielding gas could be from the angle of the gun when feeding in to the weld, low gas flow, or build of up slag in the nozzle blocking the flow.

I started using tip dip a few months ago and it keeps my nozzle really clean. Since then, I can't remember a time where I had any porosity. After a few minutes of welding, I just tap the nozzle on the welding table and a ring of slag falls right off and the there is no more blockage of shielding gas.

I really like how you did the shovel mount. I have been looking for a way to do this and I think I may somewhat "copy" your set up as far as how you clamped the handle to secure the jack.

You are doing a really good job though. Keep up the great work!
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2011, 11:02 AM   #15
papi32
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Painted the cross member.

also made some frame tie ins since i have so much weight on the bumper.

Painted the frame tie ins. ready to install.

Today it looks like i will be finishing it up! The latch should come in around 1 or 2pm. I have a late start from school today so i dont get out early, so by the time i get back home i should be able to start welding the latch on. I also need to sand it and paint it. Should i use primer or not? im thinking not since its going to get scratched up eventually anyways and here in AZ we dont have much rust.

Clayton

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.