Quick-release bolts? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Quick-release bolts?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-21-2009, 12:11 PM   #1
rinogo

Quick-release bolts?

Hey all,

Long story short. I'm registered in Utah, where inspection shops have been cracking down and actually enforcing things such as insufficiently sized fender flares, lack of mud flaps, third brake lights, etc.

So, this last year I had to drop ~$200 just to put larger (and uglier) fender flares on my TJ. I want to put the originals back on, but I'll have to put the wide ones back on every year for inspections. Bolting the fender flares on and off is a boring, time consuming process.

I need your help with some ingenuity. I need a bolt/fastener of some sort that I can use to attach the fender flares, and remove them quickly and easily. I'm thinking there might be some kind of bolt with a lever-secured action - release the lever, and the bolt releases; depress the lever, and the bolt holds securely.

It doesn't necessarily have to be lever-driven; I just need to be able to remove and attach the bolts quickly...This type of fastener *must* exist! Any thoughts?

-Rich

rinogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

we have the same issues in hawaii. i simply replaced the original hardware for small bolts and wingnuts. it takes me only a few minutes to strip the flares off.
fratis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2009, 02:38 PM   #3
OldFatGuy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You can use Dzus fasteners.

The initial expense is kind of high and they'll take a while to install the first time but after that, changing your flares will take seconds.
OldFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 04:11 PM   #4
3S00W
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
You can use Dzus fasteners.

The initial expense is kind of high and they'll take a while to install the first time but after that, changing your flares will take seconds.
Please explain some more. Seems like a great idea.
3S00W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
athos76
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Look into Dzus or camlock fasteners. They are a pain to install the initial time, but are awesome.

They are quarter turn fasteners. 1/4 turn to lock, 1/4 turn to remove. The receptacle is secured into the fender on the jeep and the fastener is secured into the flare.

They are used extensively on aircraft to hold engine Cowlings and panels on that need to be removed often. So if it can stay on in flight at 150+ knots... Should be good for a jeep.
Check out http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/...t_1camloc.html

To see what we are talking about...

Hell... This just gave me an idea
Unread 10-06-2012, 04:55 PM   #6
wickedoffroad
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Why not just use a couple pins and cotters to put them on for the inspection?
wickedoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.