questions on my First bumper build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > questions on my First bumper build

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 07-23-2014, 02:53 PM   #1
bonbon
2001 TJ Wrangler 

questions on my First bumper build

in my fab class at welding school, we have to choose a project to blueprint out and estimate cost and weld, etc. so ive decided that the time has come to replace that stock bumper.
im basically looking for tips/tricks/any input for a beginner. for material, thinking maybe 3/16 thick steel plate and MIG welding.

i do plan on (one day) adding a winch to the set up. i dont have one yet to measure off of though.
my idea is to have the winch set low and inside, behind the front plate of the bumper for protection, with a fairlead on the front. question is, exactly how much room do i need for a winch? i'll drill mounting holes later, i just need a basic length/width to leave a space. another question- fairleads. are most the same size with the same hole spacing? im thinking of using one of those billet aluminum ones for the synthetic line. there would be a small piece sticking up from the front place for a fairlead.

other ideas are holes for lights and some loops on the front for d ring shackles.

ill post a rough sketch of the design when i have one drawn up. sometime this week i have to measure out and make a cardboard mock up to see how the thing would even look

bonbon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2014, 05:58 PM   #2
youngjeepr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I don't know the measurements for a winch off the top of my head but if no one else can tell you I'll go measure mine.

If you plan to run a winch I would build the winch mount out of 1/4".

I like to TIG all the stuff I fab just because there is less grinding to make it look good. Or I can stack small and tight dimes for a certain look or if I want the bigger look I'll use a mig.

What type of jeep is this going on?

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
youngjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2014, 06:36 PM   #3
RM77CJ5
1977 CJ5 

Patiently waiting!
I'm planning on the same thing for the wife's Jeep. Neighbor made his own of of round pipe. Looked real nice. Simple!
RM77CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2014, 03:30 PM   #4
bonbon
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Going on an 01 tj.. the stock bumper must go!
1/4 mounting plate Wont be a problem at all. If you could, I'd appreciate some measurements just to have a ballpark range.

RM I should have a rough sketch up soon, I like the tube look on jeeps for sure. Is that what thr wife will be getting?
Unread 07-25-2014, 03:37 PM   #5
youngjeepr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonbon
Going on an 01 tj.. the stock bumper must go! 1/4 mounting plate Wont be a problem at all. If you could, I'd appreciate some measurements just to have a ballpark range. RM I should have a rough sketch up soon, I like the tube look on jeeps for sure. Is that what thr wife will be getting?
I'll go measure my winch in a little bit.

If I were you I would buy a winch plate then build the bumper around that. That way you don't have to a bunch of drilling,measuring and bend it for the fairlead.

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
Unread 07-25-2014, 03:40 PM   #6
youngjeepr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Winch length-21.5"
Width-6.5"
Height-6.75"

Bolt pattern- 10"x 4.5"

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
Unread 07-25-2014, 03:42 PM   #7
youngjeepr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

And that's a warn m8000

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
Unread 07-25-2014, 11:41 PM   #8
4xfiend
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonbon View Post
i do plan on (one day) adding a winch to the set up. i dont have one yet to measure off of though.
my idea is to have the winch set low and inside, behind the front plate of the bumper for protection, with a fairlead on the front.
TJ's have a tube crossmember at the front of the frame. How exactly do you plan on recessing the winch? Cut out the crossmember? There is a reason you see very few TJ's with recessed winches and, instead, see them mounted on top of the frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
I DON'T FRIGGIN' CARE!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim M
Please keep the facts to yourself; nobody here wants to hear them. This was a perfectly good internet argument until you came along with anecdotal evidence.
4xfiend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2014, 10:30 AM   #9
bonbon
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xfiend View Post
TJ's have a tube crossmember at the front of the frame. How exactly do you plan on recessing the winch? Cut out the crossmember? There is a reason you see very few TJ's with recessed winches and, instead, see them mounted on top of the frame.
Well, It just dawned on me last night that that isnt really possible.. for whatever reason it never clicked that the tube was in the way. quite the facepalm moment i must say haha.

what i think i will do instead, is have my mounting plate rest just above that tube and have a slightly taller front on the bumper where the fairlead will go, which will also offer some protection for a winch. at a later time i might work out a way to put a tube or bar over it, but for the sake of time on this one ill leave it out for now.

today i am working on a cardboard mock up, ill post some progress as it comes along.

youngjeepr thanks for the measurements, i do have a buddy that might have an old winch plate laying around if he hasnt used it.
Unread 07-27-2014, 10:49 AM   #10
bonbon
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Here is a -very- rough sketch of the bumper and some of the pieces.
since i cant recess the winch because of the cross tube its just going to go about even with the top of the frame rails and the front will be slightly taller.
imag3193.jpg  
Unread 07-27-2014, 02:13 PM   #11
youngjeepr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good.

If I remember right my winch plate was $40 or so but it was powder coated.

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
Unread 07-27-2014, 09:38 PM   #12
140mower
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That is along the lines of what I did, I took the pieces I took out of the top and the ends and pieced them together on the bottom, which allowed me to move my bumper up in it's mounts a little. i made it out of some scrap I had lying around, now i'm working on a rear..........
pict0166.jpg

pict0110.jpg

Unread 07-27-2014, 11:12 PM   #13
youngjeepr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Here's the last one I built. The winch is just sitting on there in the pictures but I do t have any good ones with it mounted.

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
Unread 07-29-2014, 05:28 PM   #14
RM77CJ5
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonbon View Post
Going on an 01 tj.. the stock bumper must go!
1/4 mounting plate Wont be a problem at all. If you could, I'd appreciate some measurements just to have a ballpark range.

RM I should have a rough sketch up soon, I like the tube look on jeeps for sure. Is that what thr wife will be getting?
Who knows?
I just know she hates the look of the stock one on it now! This is only a weekend cruiser to the grocery store and maybe a trip to the riverbed or beach.
RM77CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2014, 07:33 AM   #15
bonbon
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Really nice looking bumpers guys! Ive got the cardboard more/less finished, still have to do the back and underside. If I can upload from my phone I'll throw up a pic shortly, otherwise later today!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.