question on my welder purchase. real quick promise. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > question on my welder purchase. real quick promise.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFLASH SALE! Open thread to reveil the Newest Sale @ ROCKRIFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 02-12-2015, 07:28 PM   #1
loganm
2005 LJ Wrangler 

question on my welder purchase. real quick promise.

Ok I'm looking to purchase my first welder. I've decided on stick welder Because of price and reliability. My question is get a 120v or a 240v. From the specs pages (lincoln) it was they can weld the same thickness. One reason I wanted to go 120 is for mobility. I can just run an extension and weld where ever I want to. Is it worth to have a smaller welder with the added mobility. Or go big and limited mobility?
Thanks!

loganm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2015, 07:33 PM   #2
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I got the lincoln 140. Its 120v. It welds pretty nice. Handles 3/16s easy. It could probably do 1/4" if I had to.
Its small cheap and handy!
glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
joe_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2015, 07:39 PM   #3
loganm
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Why does this lincoln say 1 inch thickness?
http://m.lowes.com/pd/Lincoln-Electr...Welder/4743337
Unread 02-12-2015, 07:43 PM   #4
loganm
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Basically I'm looking to purchase above or the tombstone style
http://m.lowes.com/pd/Lincoln-Electr...Welder/1115275
Unread 02-12-2015, 08:15 PM   #5
mtrdstuck
1975 CJ5 

i just got a Lincoln 210 mp welder last week. its mig tig and stick.it come mig and stick base unit 1000.you can get tig or aluminum spool gun later. it come 120v or 250v
mtrdstuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2015, 09:12 PM   #6
hmantractors
1979 CJ7 

Welder

240 volt ac/dc Miller. 240 volts is the only way to go.
hmantractors is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2015, 11:08 PM   #7
1989comanche
1989 MJ Comanche 

If you are going to buy a stick welder, definitely buy a 220 volt one. 90% of your 120 volt are pretty weak cause it is hard to get enough power from 110 volt. I would save up a bit and get a wire welder they are way more versatile.
Unread 02-13-2015, 12:15 PM   #8
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganm View Post
Basically I'm looking to purchase above or the tombstone style
http://m.lowes.com/pd/Lincoln-Electr...Welder/1115275
Part of building with steel is knowing the best way to design what you want to build, that can be learned. That welder you are looking at will handle anything you could ask of it and then some. With the right preparation it would join metal over 1" thick.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2015, 03:27 PM   #9
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

If you have 220 power, I would definitely get the more powerful machine. Not having the ability to run higher power is something that you'll probably kick yourself for later. You can always dial it back for thinner materials.

For mobility, I have no clue on that one. I got both of my welders (mig and TIG) with dual voltage, so I can plug it into either 110, or 220. Since I've put 220 in the garage, I've not plugged either of them in to the 110 power. When I bring them elsewhere, I usually have to plug into 110, but it's rare that I bring them elsewhere other than my garage.

If I were in your spot, and you're mostly going to be using it at home, I'd get the 220 machine. If later on you need to be mobile and have to use 110 alot, maybe pick up a cheap 110 machine just for the times you are out?
Unread 02-13-2015, 03:46 PM   #10
hmantractors
1979 CJ7 

Welder

I don't see the big deal. You can make an extension cord any length you need to get a 220 machine anywhere you need. Any home has 220. Wiring 220 is easy. Use a 220 and you will never use a 110 again. If money is a problem, wait and save.
hmantractors is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2015, 07:00 PM   #11
loganm
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for inputs. I think I'm gonna get the hobart AC DC stick it'll do what I need it to now. Then save up for a good wire feed after a graduate. And utilizes both.
Unread 02-15-2015, 07:29 PM   #12
Solidkm
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I recently picked up the Lincoln precision tig. It was def a more expensive machine. But I couldn't be happier. 220. Tig and stick. And it has handled anything I've asked of it so far. The pulse feature is nice if you want to transfer less heat. I picked up some gas lenses for the torch and the set up is great.

My advice is get something you will grow in to and not out of. No sense is trying to sell something a year later because you need more juice or a different machine.

Good luck
Unread 02-20-2015, 06:33 PM   #13
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you are sure you want a stick welder get the AC/DC 240 volt. Look for a used one.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.