Question about rust removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Question about rust removal

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank SkidTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 10-06-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
takirc02
1984 CJ7 

Question about rust removal

How much is enough prior to welding? Obviously, perfectly clean steel is ideal, but man I am tired of wire wheeling this thing.

It is actually only going to be the underside of my welding table top so I'm not that worried about this specifically, but then I have to flip and do the other side (not diamond plate) so I am wondering how clean that needs to be. I plan on topping with UPol weld 2 and being able to tack stuff to it to keep it from moving. Just get the worst of it off and call it a day or clean it up as best I can?

Also I am just curious in general, since I am brand new to welding and am buying most my steel from a scrap yard. How clean is clean enough? Thanks!

image-4233419205.jpg  
Unread 10-06-2012, 09:45 AM   #2
ejeeperguy
1982 CJ7 

You want to have a good ground for the welder to work.As far as the rust clean up the flakes they will contaminate your welds.Other than that you will be good to go.
ejeeperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #3
takirc02
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejeeperguy
You want to have a good ground for the welder to work.As far as the rust clean up the flakes they will contaminate your welds.Other than that you will be good to go.
So, the flakes have to go, but not necessarily every speck in every pit?
Unread 10-08-2012, 06:09 PM   #4
ejeeperguy
1982 CJ7 

That is about it when you start.The diamond plate you are showing will take a bead just fine the way it is.
ejeeperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2012, 07:48 PM   #5
DYontheForum
1981 CJ7 

If you get 6010 welding rods you won't have to clean anything up.
DYontheForum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 05:50 AM   #6
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

As far when your ready to coat the diamond side,get a small can of MEK,Chemical safe gloves and some heavy steel wool and go to town,do all this outside in a well ventilated area.
I like to use a good red oxide primer on things like that,it'll paint over light rust and hold up well...not the cheap rattle can red oxide colored paint,if you have a true red oxide primer,the can will weight much more than any regular primer in comparison.
The fact is on a fab table,,no matter what you use on the underside,whenever you start tacking things to it,welding on the table,plazma cutting..torches..etc etc,the coating on the underside will burn off.
I general leave the table top itself bare,then when i know i won't be using it for days or weeks or months,wipe it all down with vegetable oil or any kind of oil..(vegetable oil being the safest incase you end up having it there when welding or burning as far as fumes),then when i'm ready to use it i'll wipe it all off with acetone or MEK.

As far as when you are ready to weld the frame and legs on the underside,figure out exactly where you will be welding and grind or sand the areas to be welded to fresh bare metal,that'll solve any porosity issues caused by rust.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.